Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 03:10 PM
Sarnak

I'm going to start burning copies and selling them for $50 on ebay
Old 01-17-2017, 03:25 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by nectarprime [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't understand why people are so against torrenting things that are legal distributed that way, like Titanium. If you are scared of a virus, you should get AV software.
Can vouch that the most popular DL of this type on the high seas is legit and works just fine.
Old 01-18-2017, 07:38 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by nectarprime [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't understand why people are so against torrenting things that are legal distributed that way, like Titanium. If you are scared of a virus, you should get AV software.
It's still illegal to redistribute and download the Titanium client online - it's still intellectual property owned by Daybreak, it's just there is literally zero incentive for them to do anything about it. So I mean, don't post bay links here because it is entirely up to them whether Project 1999 is a thing or not. John Smedley and Russel Shanks are both gone, and we don't know anything about the new CEO - if he decides one day, "fuck this emulated elf sim server!" and sends a cease and desist letter, then that's a wrap folks. That very probably won't happen because he was co-president when they endorsed P99, but let's not (incoming pirate pun) test the waters.
Last edited by paulgiamatti; 01-18-2017 at 07:42 AM..
Old 01-18-2017, 09:12 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulgiamatti [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's still illegal to redistribute and download the Titanium client online - it's still intellectual property owned by Daybreak, it's just there is literally zero incentive for them to do anything about it. So I mean, don't post bay links here because it is entirely up to them whether Project 1999 is a thing or not. John Smedley and Russel Shanks are both gone, and we don't know anything about the new CEO - if he decides one day, "fuck this emulated elf sim server!" and sends a cease and desist letter, then that's a wrap folks. That very probably won't happen because he was co-president when they endorsed P99, but let's not (incoming pirate pun) test the waters.

Tupakk-57 Bard(Raid Whore)Afeni-45 Druid (Dial a Port Leadership) |Forums|Facebook| Lumumba-60 Rogue(DaP Security)/(Nocterma Member) & Department of Fun Promoter
Old 01-18-2017, 09:23 AM
Planar Protector

P99 can't get shutdown because they don't use any of SoE or daybreaks code.
The emulator is 100% self made legitimate.
And seeing as how p99 does NOT distribute any copyrighted materials..
Well you get my point.

Also any information SoE and or Daybreak has accidentally leaked in the past or present (such as code) could be used in favor of the emu. Stating such things as it is grounds for the legitimacy of the emu.
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Old 01-18-2017, 09:47 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
P99 can't get shutdown because they don't use any of SoE or daybreaks code.
False - the EQEmu source is a direct port of live server code and an infringing use of their intellectual property. Fortunately, EQEmulator has always had a good relationship with SoE with some of their former developers involved in the project. So in the case of a cease and desist shutdown by Daybreak, there would be no defense - it would be just like Nostalrius. The use of their server code, regardless of how much they've altered it, is more than enough legal ground to shut down any emulated EQ server.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
And seeing as how p99 does NOT distribute any copyrighted materials..
Also false - despite being very few in total, many of the files with each patch are copyrighted files that come with Titanium which include unaltered code originally written by SoE. I'm not trying to be alarmist or anything - there's absolutely no reason to think Daybreak would suddenly turn against longstanding EQEmu projects which predate their company, but it's important to understand that it is still illegal use of intellectual property, and if they chose to protect that intellectual property for any reason all it would take is one letter from one guy named Ji Ham.
Old 01-18-2017, 10:25 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulgiamatti [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
False - the EQEmu source is a direct port of live server code and an infringing use of their intellectual property.
I don't see that. If you look at the state of the TLP servers there's nothing similar about the code at all.

Also the code isn't a replica of the code used during classic EQ, it's put together to be as similar as possible. The only similarities are the character models and zones, and even the zones in some respects have been changed.

It'd be a tangled web but I think ultimately P99 stands separate enough from anything the live servers are doing, using custom code based on a client that is ahead of the era we're playing in. A lot of us use addons that customize the experience further.

If P99 classic EQ was as popular as H1Z1 is for Daybreak I could see them wanting to trigger a shutdown, but it isn't...and if anything people who've played here might not have moved to try the TLP servers over the last 7-8 years.

If they wanted to cash in, they could give us a paid/legal version of Titanium we could download... right?
Old 01-18-2017, 11:55 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't see that. If you look at the state of the TLP servers there's nothing similar about the code at all.
That wouldn't matter in the case of a C&D shutdown, and that's true across all emulated servers, not just P99. I mean, do you think Nostalrius would still be up if they said, "Wait! Our servers aren't anything at all like the current WoW servers!" It wouldn't matter. It doesn't matter how similar or dissimilar EQEmu server code is from either the current EQ live code or EQ live code as it existed from '99-'02 - using the brand name alone would be enough legal ground to end any emulated EverQuest server. This wasn't true when SoE owned the IP due to some ambiguous verbiage in their end-user license agreement, which granted a license to "all account subscribers in good standing" to use any of the brand's content.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Also the code isn't a replica of the code used during classic EQ, it's put together to be as similar as possible.
Things get a bit complicated here, not that it changes anything legally, but the EQEmu source was originally a direct port from EQ live code, meaning they didn't start from scratch. They obtained an early version of EQ live server source code, changed it to their liking, and based their server software off that. So at some point the EQ server code was leaked and the founders of EQEmu took advantage of the opportunity - EQEmu has been around since as early as 2001, so this probably happened quite awhile ago.

Quote:
The only similarities are the character models and zones, and even the zones in some respects have been changed.
All of that stuff is client-side though, so that wouldn't affect P99's legality so long as they don't encourage pirating the client software.

Quote:
If P99 classic EQ was as popular as H1Z1 is for Daybreak I could see them wanting to trigger a shutdown, but it isn't...and if anything people who've played here might not have moved to try the TLP servers over the last 7-8 years.

If they wanted to cash in, they could give us a paid/legal version of Titanium we could download... right?
Yeah I mean, this is just a philosophical conversation at this point because, again, there is literally zero incentive for Daybreak to do anything. Winter's Roar was only shut down because the EverQuest brand was still generating some tangible amount of revenue. EverQuest isn't making Daybreak any money, so they have no reason to care about a few thousand nerds elf simming it up on P99 or anywhere else. Add onto that the fact that they've publicly endorsed P99, and the fact that they're no longer a subsidiary of the corporate giant Sony.

There's still value in protecting intellectual property though, even if there's a lawsuit (there wouldn't be) and it costs Daybreak money and earns them nothing - if you want your brands to retain value, you'll want people to take you seriously instead of just emulating free versions of whatever new games you release.
Last edited by paulgiamatti; 01-18-2017 at 12:00 PM..
Old 01-18-2017, 12:21 PM
Planar Protector

Some good points there. I will say though that it would be quite hypocritical of them to call out protecting intellectual property when they shit canned EQ Next not too long ago.

I'd still like to see the EQ franchise sold to a company that will take it forwards and preserve it, not sure who would keep developing for it though. The irony if Brad McQuaid's studio did [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 01-18-2017, 12:54 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Things get a bit complicated here, not that it changes anything legally, but the EQEmu source was originally a direct port from EQ live code, meaning they didn't start from scratch. They obtained an early version of EQ live server source code, changed it to their liking, and based their server software off that. So at some point the EQ server code was leaked and the founders of EQEmu took advantage of the opportunity - EQEmu has been around since as early as 2001, so this probably happened quite awhile ago.
Reference please? This is absolutely the first time I've ever heard this and it seems highly implausible versus just writing the code from scratch...

Regards,
Mg

OMNI Officer (Retired from EQ)
Check out my P99 Hunting Guide!
Closed Thread