Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 07-15-2016, 04:15 PM
Sarnak

Welcome to EQ and P99!

The only thing I'd add, which seems to be the toughest thing for my friends to get past, is the beginning of the game (without gear) is probably one of the hardest humps to get over if you're not a pet class. It will either feel extremely dull (lack of abilities/spells) or it'll feel too difficult and seem too time consuming to continue. If you can get to lvl 20 or so, most classes start to have a decent set of spells or abilities to work with and start to make that class unique.

Stick with it, take your time, group up and meet people in game and you'll have a blast! Feel free to whisper me ingame if you happen to be on at night. Euphonic or Ruhtar.
Old 07-17-2016, 09:44 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Hey, I also never played EQ back in the day and have just started on P1999. I heard about it but never knew what it was like and found a video about it that I found really interesting called "Everquest: A Retrospective". From there I binge watched a bunch of videos about P1999 and was reading the wiki a lot and decided to just try it out. I really find the game extremely interesting and charming, I really like that when EQ was made there wasn't really anything like it so it has a lot of weird quirks to it and some convoluted design choices which led to the players getting deeply invested in it to figure out how to progress. I'd be down to play with you assuming you have a character around the same area, I'm only level 5 Druid and still super new to this lol. My in game name is Bluetrain and my start city is Rivervale
Old 07-20-2016, 04:29 PM
Kobold

LOL @ everyone saying classic eq is hard. every raid in vanilla wow is harder then every raid in eq until omens at least. Leveling is tedious not hard. tedium =\= difficulty. I play eq because wow is harder and i have a high tolerance for tedium.
Old 07-20-2016, 04:33 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by snergle [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
LOL @ everyone saying classic eq is hard. every raid in vanilla wow is harder then every raid in eq until omens at least. Leveling is tedious not hard. tedium =\= difficulty. I play eq because wow is harder and i have a high tolerance for tedium.
Old 07-20-2016, 05:35 PM
Planar Protector

Leveling in WoW back then was orders of magnitude easier at low levels at least.

As soon as you reach level 4 or 5 untwinked in EQ you can't just yolo rush the mob and hope to win. Unless you are a mage or necro I guess.

TLDR: EQ is goog. Make a druid.
Old 07-21-2016, 06:09 AM
Kobold

Not only have you chosen the toughest game, you also have chosen the toughest server. You will be competing against people who are geared to the teeth and realistically you will have to make do with low xp scrap mobs until you get your gear sorted. So its important that you select a class which is not that gear dependent. I usually recommend new players to head to Permafrost around lv 16-17, the velium bits blocks sells for between 5- 50pp to vendors, that way you can gear yourself and become more competitive.
Old 07-21-2016, 08:46 AM
Aviak

What mob drops those
Old 07-21-2016, 09:32 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorian [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Not only have you chosen the toughest game, you also have chosen the toughest server. You will be competing against people who are geared to the teeth and realistically you will have to make do with low xp scrap mobs until you get your gear sorted. So its important that you select a class which is not that gear dependent. I usually recommend new players to head to Permafrost around lv 16-17, the velium bits blocks sells for between 5- 50pp to vendors, that way you can gear yourself and become more competitive.
Lol the game isnt so hard n tough as some make it out to be, it just takes time to grind levels and get familiar with all its quirks. definately dont go to permafrost , solb is closer and groups happen there, the ore drops in solb aswell.
Old 07-21-2016, 10:04 AM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by snergle [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Are you serious? MC was a joke after mechanics were determined, BWL, AQ, ZG, all ridiculously easy raids the only incredibly hard raid in Vanilla IMO was Naxx, it reminded me of playing EQ. If you die, who the fuck cares - just group up and head back in.

Nothing like EQ when an entire guild dies in Plane of Hate because something on the second floor aggro'd, then you have to ask another guild to come save your ass.

the difficulty of both games are not analogous at all.
Old 07-23-2016, 11:07 PM
Sarnak

The game is alot of fun, and remember you are never alone...dont forget to ask for help. And dont be a dick to people.

Get some leveling friends and enjoy the ride together...soon you'll find yourself logging in just to talk to these people.