Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Important > News & Announcements

Closed Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 02:49 PM
Project Manager

I personally believe the Kunark npcs losing aggro was due to pathing. It seemed some npcs were harder to keep on you than others.. like kunark giants iirc. I do not believe this phenomenon took place in classic, and I also don't remember it in Velious.

Obviously evidence of some type would be good. All we have now is anecdotal evidence.

One example that comes to mind is Trakanon the dragon. If you were to aggro him in his lair, and get banished (Trakanon's Touch) .. he would summon you back. With a base lose aggro by distance, this wouldn't happen would it?

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 03-02-2011, 02:57 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilbog [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Obviously evidence of some type would be good. All we have now is anecdotal evidence.

One example that comes to mind is Trakanon the dragon. If you were to aggro him in his lair, and get banished (Trakanon's Touch) .. he would summon you back. With a base lose aggro by distance, this wouldn't happen would it?
This is the issue I'm having. I know there are so many more instances of mobs losing aggro that should be remembered if it was purely based on a distance issue. After you showed the map I began to question the distance between Findlegrob's tower in Rathe Mts. and the Lake Rathe zoneline since it didn't really seem that far at all, but I guess it was.

Maybe since mobs didn't really lose aggro they just stopped chasing was the reason why mobs that could summon would summon, and why sending pets would still cause the pet to run towards the player. Can mage/necro pets be sent on mobs halfway across the zone?
Old 03-02-2011, 04:50 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Can mage/necro pets be sent on mobs halfway across the zone?
Not for players. They'll chase mobs for eternity, but sicking something outside a certain distance does not work.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:41 PM
Kobold

Definitely used have issues with this in Kunark outdoor zones, pulling in Dreadlands, BW, and Skyfire in particular. You would just build up a certain separation and they'd stop following. It didn't have to be THAT large a gap either. I mean mobs would still be on the edge of your visual radius and they'd stop. They'd still be aggro on you though and when you got back within a certain range they'd go after you again.

But yeah, very anecdotal. Not really something one should even spend time trying to replicate. It was more just a little annoyance than anything else.

Yeah, I think some NPC's were easier to lose than others, but that might have simply been due to run speed. I remember wurms being the worst in this regard (being the easiest to lose) and they do move slower than most other NPC's yah?
Old 03-03-2011, 12:01 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
I personally believe the Kunark npcs losing aggro was due to pathing. It seemed some npcs were harder to keep on you than others.. like kunark giants iirc. I do not believe this phenomenon took place in classic, and I also don't remember it in Velious.

When I went back to solo Trakanon around the PoP era I would sometimes get summoned back when I get trak touched and other times he would lose aggro so I would have to run back and retry. Not sure what caused this, but perhaps this does evidence that it was something to do with pathing. hope the info helps.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:10 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Maybe since mobs didn't really lose aggro they just stopped chasing was the reason why mobs that could summon would summon, and why sending pets would still cause the pet to run towards the player. Can mage/necro pets be sent on mobs halfway across the zone?

Exactly. Mobs that have the ability to summon would not be bothered by this distance cap because you're still on the hate list and in range of their ability (summon). You don't have to get closer.
Closed Thread