Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 10:18 AM
Fire Giant

So could you run p99 on a surface?
Old 09-24-2015, 11:02 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_jon3s [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So could you run p99 on a surface?
You can run it on the Surface Pro series (1, 2, or 3) or the Surface 3. I actually can play EQ effectively on my Surface Pro 3 (i7, but the i5 will likely work fine as well). I've only run into sluggish performance in the EC tunnel. Granted, it will eat up a lot of power and your fans will hum very loudly, but you can play it nonetheless. Surface Pro 1, 2, and 3 as well as Surface 3 are all x86 architecture while Surface 1 and Surface 2 are ARM. Not to get bogged down in details, but ARM is basically what iPads, lower end tablets, and smart phones use because they do not need to support legacy software. However, this means that they cannot run programs that you would normally install on a desktop or laptop.

The only thing ARM can do in these situations is use some kind of remote access software to control the machine you run Everquest on. However, as someone else noted, this requires a lot of data to be transmitted to the ARM machine, so it will be sluggish because ARM processors possess less power (not by virtue of being ARM, but simply because they are architected for lower power usage and lower heat production*). Furthermore, you will have to deal with additional latency because your input will have to be transmitted to your main machine remotely and the responses then sent back to the machine you are using to remote access.

*For anyone with a Computer Science background, you might find it interesting that there are no real performance differences between a CISC language and an RISC language. Performance is largely dictated by the actual micro-architecture of the chip using the instruction set.
Last edited by simp403; 09-24-2015 at 11:05 AM..
Old 09-24-2015, 11:10 AM
Planar Protector

OP thanks for posting this.... last night I was dreaming I was trying to play EQ on my ipad and dieing horribly in the depths of kaesora because I couldnt move correctly! Inception?
Old 09-24-2015, 12:04 PM
Fire Giant

If you search the forums, you'll find someone who had Everquest working on a mobile. I cant remember exactly, but I believe he was only able to sit in Oasis. I think it was Pyrocat
MassiveMarc: Then we will poopsock in the shade.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nizzarr View Post
Vox was tanked by hughman in plain sight, we found out that the bard could attack tru the wall there(more lucky than exploit) and we just pilled everyone there.
Old 09-24-2015, 12:49 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massive Marc [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you search the forums, you'll find someone who had Everquest working on a mobile. I cant remember exactly, but I believe he was only able to sit in Oasis. I think it was Pyrocat
He was probably using a remote desktop program.
Old 09-24-2015, 01:09 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massive Marc [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It wasn't me but here are some of the other threads that talk about it:

http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=78750
http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=14729
http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7485 <---this is the main one
Old 09-24-2015, 01:16 PM
Kobold

Being able to take EQ with me anywhere I go is a box I'd rather not open
Old 09-24-2015, 01:20 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipip [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Being able to take EQ with me anywhere I go is a box I'd rather not open
It's definitely a major temptation.
Old 09-24-2015, 01:25 PM
Fire Giant

Any RDP app (for example Microsoft Remote Desktop) will allow you to remote into a Windoze box from an iPad and operate as if you are at the keyboard. However, I would say it's restricted to EC tunnel type stuff, trying to actually play that way would be virtually impossible.

I've played on a Surface Pro 2 no problem (with a keyboard and mouse connected) if you want a tablet for EQ but thats pretty much a laptop anyway... older Surface RT tablets are not Intel CPUs so you can't play on them.

Regards,
Mg

OMNI Officer (Retired from EQ)
Check out my P99 Hunting Guide!
Old 09-24-2015, 01:36 PM
Fire Giant

The new windows tablets are same size as an ipad and some will even have core i3/i5 and decent performance....

I play all the time on my asus Chi T300. With a mouse in tablet mode it's not horrible.
Closed Thread