Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 03:08 PM
Orc

Default Attn Dev's/Kunark

I love P1999, have had a blast playing here, and wish to continue playing here. What these devs do on a volunteer basis is very cool, and I don't think anyone would seriously dispute that. I used to chuckle at the "20 more mins" replies to the "when's kunark?" posts, and was seriously happy back in October when the issue was addressed by Nilbog.

On 21 October, Nilbog addressed Kunark by writing:

"Is it more than 50% done?" Yes. "Is it coming out next month?" No. "How fast is work proceeding?" Compared to prekunark, work is being completed at a rapid pace. As we near completion, I will be able to provide a better estimate or date.

My question to the devs is the following: could there possibly be more regular updates regarding kunark? I believe kunark is being completed at a rapid pace, as previously stated. Two months have passed since the last update, might the community inquire about another?

Since Nilbog has not provided a "better estimation or date," I must assume the project is "not near completion." Would it be possible to get a loose estimation based on: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th qtr 2011?
Old 12-28-2010, 03:18 PM
Kobold

Kunark isn't going to be out for a while. The beta they put up is far from finished. And thats only about 1/3rd of the zones. They'll probably do another 1 or 2 phases of the beta. My guess is at least 2-3 more months, probably more.

The Dev's probably won't give a date, or quarter, anyway. If they give one then people will just be angry when its not finished by then, or they'll be pressured to release it incomplete. Both are bad situations.

Have fun with classic. Lots of the items and dungeons will become worthless once Kunark comes out, so enjoy them while you still can.
Old 12-28-2010, 03:31 PM
Orc

Become worthless, or become available for the non-ubers?
Old 12-28-2010, 03:43 PM
Project Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyodafenninro [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I love P1999, have had a blast playing here, and wish to continue playing here. What these devs do on a volunteer basis is very cool, and I don't think anyone would seriously dispute that. I used to chuckle at the "20 more mins" replies to the "when's kunark?" posts, and was seriously happy back in October when the issue was addressed by Nilbog.

On 21 October, Nilbog addressed Kunark by writing:

"Is it more than 50% done?" Yes. "Is it coming out next month?" No. "How fast is work proceeding?" Compared to prekunark, work is being completed at a rapid pace. As we near completion, I will be able to provide a better estimate or date.

My question to the devs is the following: could there possibly be more regular updates regarding kunark? I believe kunark is being completed at a rapid pace, as previously stated. Two months have passed since the last update, might the community inquire about another?

Since Nilbog has not provided a "better estimation or date," I must assume the project is "not near completion." Would it be possible to get a loose estimation based on: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th qtr 2011?
If I paid the developers.. I could give you a date. If I was paid, I could give you an estimate of how long my particular tasks would take. Since no one here works for $, the best estimate I can give you is.. when its done. Some devs have come and gone. Some devs are new. Training them takes time. DDOS attacks take time. Our real lives take time.

When I posted that, if the devs at the time would have continued their tasks at the same rate, then all my statements would still hold true. If a developer decides to resign, or have RL issues, they leave. It's not a job.

My past few weeks, aside from holidays, have been spent training people, fixing the posted Kunark bugs, and polishing up the next zones to be released. When there is a trained team working together, things get accomplished faster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralexia [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The beta they put up is far from finished.
Are there outstanding issues in the opened beta zones that haven't been addressed? I'll be offended if you do not report them.

There hasn't been a patch in a while. Like a month. I'd expect the beta to be back up soon.
Old 12-28-2010, 03:48 PM
Kobold

I think that's a fair update. Thanks Nilbog!
Old 12-28-2010, 03:58 PM
Fire Giant

Thanks nilbog.
Old 12-28-2010, 04:01 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilbog [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If I paid the developers.. I could give you a date. If I was paid, I could give you an estimate of how long my particular tasks would take. Since no one here works for $, the best estimate I can give you is.. when its done. Some devs have come and gone. Some devs are new. Training them takes time. DDOS attacks take time. Our real lives take time.

When I posted that, if the devs at the time would have continued their tasks at the same rate, then all my statements would still hold true. If a developer decides to resign, or have RL issues, they leave. It's not a job.

My past few weeks, aside from holidays, have been spent training people, fixing the posted Kunark bugs, and polishing up the next zones to be released. When there is a trained team working together, things get accomplished faster.

Are there outstanding issues in the opened beta zones that haven't been addressed? I'll be offended if you do not report them.

There hasn't been a patch in a while. Like a month. I'd expect the beta to be back up soon.
Thanks for the quick response. Please understand, the following is merely discussion, and I continue with all due respect. Even with unpaid volunteers, and a busy schedule, it should be possible to give a release based on the current situation. You have a general idea of the time it takes to train developers, and a general idea of how many currently work on what areas of the project. You likewise know exactly where the project is, at this current moment, regardless of how many people are working on it. It should be possible, even with the variables you mentioned, to say something along the lines of "From where I'm sitting, assuming there are no further problems, the best case scenario for Kunark would be sometime near X qtr 2011, and further problems might push this date back."

It would at least be an update, a little morsel, for the players who happily have faith in you as project manager...enjoy very much playing "in your sandbox," and truly support project 1999.

Again, thanks for your response. I appreciate the quick professional reply.
Old 12-28-2010, 04:04 PM
Skeleton

I would be willing to lend some time and some passing SQL familiarity if needed. I for one would be willing to help to get Kunark out.
Old 12-28-2010, 04:06 PM
Fire Giant

Really Toyoda, really?
Old 12-28-2010, 04:10 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilbog [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If I paid the developers.. I could give you a date. If I was paid, I could give you an estimate of how long my particular tasks would take. Since no one here works for $, the best estimate I can give you is.. when its done.
What part of this is so difficult to understand?
Closed Thread