Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 07:59 PM
Kobold

It wasn't $15/month back in the day, either. Not that such a detail is truly relevant [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

As they ground to make XP holy . . . let us twink to make it free; our EQ marches on!
Old 05-26-2015, 08:22 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taryth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Nonetheless, it is something which has always existed. You not being able to afford it at the time does not represent everyone else.
First off, I did box in the classic era (using a friend's accounts/gaming center computers), so it has nothing to do with what I could/couldn't afford at the time. The point is, boxing in the classic era was extremely rare, because it required significant financial hardship (or rare shared resources like a computer gaming center with a community of EQ players willing to let others use their account).

A server full of three-boxers isn't in any way classic, nor will it ever be. You can say "boxing is classic" all you want, but by definition EQ Emulator boxing will always be un-paid and thus un-classic (even if you ignore factors like needing multiple computers/expensive internet).

P.S. I don't mean to pass any sort of judgement on boxing; it's not right or wrong, it's just different. My only point is that on live the cost was a key limiting factor, and that limiting factor was an essential part of making a server "classic". There's a reason why Project 1999, the most classic server ever made (since 2000 at least), bans boxing.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 05-26-2015 at 08:39 PM..
Old 05-26-2015, 08:32 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taryth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It wasn't $15/month back in the day, either. Not that such a detail is truly relevant [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ok, you do have a point there; couldn't remember what EQ used to cost per month. Was it $9.99?

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 05-27-2015, 01:02 AM
Kobold

Ohh classic this classic that, I'm making a post from my iPhone! Not classic :/
Old 05-27-2015, 01:06 AM
Kobold

P2002 is an awesome server and I'm sure p1999 is fun for some folks to. Reminds me of a saying, different strokes for different folks. If you want to be on a server where the economy is over saturated that's your choice, if you want to be on a server that has a fresh economy and will end in the PoP era.. That's your choice! P2002 runs nice, and the small community there is awesome! I don't know much about blue on p99 but from what I hear, I don't understand how playing with lv1 epic twinks would be fun. To each his own
Old 05-27-2015, 09:19 AM
Planar Protector

Regardless of which server has more "classic" mechanics, 4 years of Kunark has wrecked P99 to the point where it certainly doesn't feel anywhere near as classic as it did when Kunark launched.

As far as boxing goes, our server had dozens of 2/3 boxers on live during Velious-PoP. One guy even ran a 6-box team. Boxing was a pretty common part of the game during this era. It was probably more rare in classic-Kunark, but that era is just about over on P99 and will be over soon enough on P02.
Old 05-27-2015, 09:35 AM
Banned

Isn't P2002 where the butthurt A&H guys ran off to once they realized TAKP GMs weren't going to play favorites? Are they really the ones you want running a server that you play on?

I'm not trying to be cute, it's got sleeper server 2.0 written all over it.
Old 05-27-2015, 09:50 AM
Aviak

P2002 forked from Takp to produce faster, more complete (database) content....toward the ultimate goal of getting to PoP. P2002 and Takp work together and share code...Takp does the majority of server code and P2002 does the quest scripting. Kunark will be released in June on P2002.
Old 05-27-2015, 10:02 AM
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharhog [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
P2002 forked from Takp to produce faster, more complete (database) content....toward the ultimate goal of getting to PoP. P2002 and Takp work together and share code...Takp does the majority of server code and P2002 does the quest scripting. Kunark will be released in June on P2002.
It's one of those Love/Hate relationships.

Which is better? Dunno. Will they both still be around in 5 years? Dunno.

I know they cant get along. But they really need to work something out.

At this point, I think they need to merge to a common login server. That way when ppl get on, they have a choice between the two servers. And that would give others the opportunity to have servers too.

Every new takp/p2002 server having their own login server seems redundant.

H
Old 05-27-2015, 10:24 AM
Banned

I personally think we need both servers, the folks on tak have made it very clear they only want to cater to casual players, project 2002 covers a different demographic. We also have a hands off approach when it comes to player disputes which is quite frankly the complete opposite of tak.
Closed Thread