Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 12:39 AM
Aviak

Honestly, I came away relatively unscathed. My pot addiction cost me the first six months of my children's lives, but video games have only recently started to seem like a waste of time. Got plenty of great years out of them.

Really, I would have just read more books and done more drugs without gaming.
Old 04-20-2015, 03:37 AM
Kobold

17 months ago I had a stroke on the right side of my brain. rendering my left side paralyzed...no more walking and gamingand typing is a huge challenge...however, my therapists believe that my serious gaming habit helped my reflexes + memory recover quicker than a non-gamer...and now when i play, it's a form of therapy: keeping track of multiple things all at once: chat and fights etc.. sorry to be a rl downer with perhaps way tmi, but I had to share the fact that gaming has had a positive influence on my life (met my husband on the torv server in 2003 (married 8 years now!!
Last edited by Glaani; 04-20-2015 at 03:39 AM.. Reason: typos!:(
Old 04-20-2015, 06:02 AM
Planar Protector

EQ is a dark master with the power to ruin lives quite easily.

I know I've watched back around 2001 several real life friends lose jobs, fail out of school, lose friends...all so that they could order their lives in a way that allowed them to play EQ every day. I don't think it is all that rare.

EQ personally caused a great deal of stress in my personal relationships.

It is a hobby that few people outside of the gaming world understand, and they subsequently have little patience for those caught up in it. There were times when I felt (in hindsight, I certainly don't envy anyone with real chemical addiction) that it would have been easier to explain to folks that I was an alcoholic or drug addict then to explain that my work performance was suffering from late nights spent raiding in a video game.
Old 04-20-2015, 06:14 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glaani [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
17 months ago I had a stroke on the right side of my brain. rendering my left side paralyzed...no more walking and gamingand typing is a huge challenge...however, my therapists believe that my serious gaming habit helped my reflexes + memory recover quicker than a non-gamer...and now when i play, it's a form of therapy: keeping track of multiple things all at once: chat and fights etc.. sorry to be a rl downer with perhaps way tmi, but I had to share the fact that gaming has had a positive influence on my life (met my husband on the torv server in 2003 (married 8 years now!!
Way to be optimistic, pras
Old 04-20-2015, 06:39 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glaani [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Very cool and I share a similar backround, met my wife years ago...5 kids now, two well adjusted, well educated & employed adults.

Seems another life time ago when this game launched and I was stuck watching showEQ for hours in sleepers or tov.

I wouldn't trade it for anything, but sometimes you wonder.
Old 04-20-2015, 09:17 AM
Sarnak

Interesting experiences.

Seems like a lot of people used the game as a crutch, but on the same token used it as an excuse.

I get anxious if I don't play. I've been on an on and off relationship with P99 for the last 2 years, and I can't seem to part ways. I will always be around some form of EQ.

I am addicted to EverQuest's nostalgia, not just because it's a good game, but also because life seemed to be much simpler for me. Life didn't seem to be moving 150MPH in 2000.
Old 04-20-2015, 09:41 AM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatos [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Just remember to follow the 20/20/20 rule.
wut?
Old 04-20-2015, 10:01 AM
Planar Protector

20/20/20 rule
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archie [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
wut?
Every 20 minutes, take your eyes off the screen and look at something 20 feet away for 20 seconds.
Old 04-20-2015, 10:27 AM
Aviak

My school performance did suffer a bit, but in the long run the effect has been negligible. EQ really helped me form my current personality though - I've always been an introvert and I still am, but back then I really hated going outside and socializing with people. Back in '99 I was still in middle school, but I felt more mature than my age - so I ended up with a guild that had people mostly in their late 20s and upwards. Tons of couples. So to fit in, I had to act like I was their peer - and since I had free reign to re-imagine myself, I came up with a more outgoing and fun personality.

Once I was done with EQ and had to venture outside to the real world, I realized that the "fake" personality I had created had spilled over. I found I was more confident in social situations, hell, I even surprised myself by flirting with a co-worker and had fun doing it. That really was the moment that caused me to look back and wonder what had changed and recognizing that my interactions in EQ during '99-'05 really changed the way I behaved and felt when dealing with other people.

The benefits to my English vocabulary and spelling were also tremendous, since I was using it constantly to converse with other people (English is my second language).
Old 04-20-2015, 12:03 PM
Planar Protector

Something else to add to you younger guys and not so young. I am 68 years old and have been playing this game non stop since early 2000.

I now have Corporal Tunnel Syndrome in each of my hands. And I can almost guarantee most of it has come from playing EQ through the years, Bards and all. I have switched over to both a ergonomic keyboard and mouse. Seems to be helping some.

I would suggest you guys do also before it is too late. I am sure it does help in the long run to have them. The pain in my hands, numbness in my fingers, pain in my bones in my arms at night is a bitch I can tell you. Do your self a favor and save yourself from having what I got, and others have, from playing this game hours on end. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Closed Thread