Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 03-14-2015, 04:36 PM
Sarnak

In Anonymous, we are a casual raid guild. We use a zero DKP system to make sure everyone has a chance at obtaining loot. You collect X amount per raid and per harder target (epic mobs and soon class R mobs). If an item drops, the person with the most DKP gets to receive the item and loses ALL their DKP. Now more casual players get to loot other items that drop. You don't have to make every raid and have huge numbers to get loot.

Now you might say, "What about the more hardcore that show up all the time?" Well, they will get geared faster, so now they can stock pile that DKP and wait for that Cloak of Flames or BCG to drop and spend it then.
There is no perfect DKP system but we try to make sure everyone gets something.
Huddaan <The Second Sons>
An army of alts <The Second Sons>
Old 03-14-2015, 04:39 PM
Large Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by YendorLootmonkey [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Pretending you're a chick and cybering your guild leader.
cybering?

MUCH worse has been done on this server, I know that for certain.
Old 03-14-2015, 04:41 PM
Planar Protector

The whole appeal of DKP is having control over when you get your items. That's where I'm going w/ the MINE thing. It's less important than having the right stuff on the right people. Then again we're in Kunark and the gear is all junk. It honestly doesn't matter what you do. You are right though, my argument is completely based off my personality and my opinions about the system. Logically arguing about the merits of one form of elfsim loot distribution being better than another is just burning brain cells. Either works fine. I choose instead the emotional argument that DKP feels greedy to me and makes me cutthroat towards my guildmates. I don't like it.
Old 03-14-2015, 05:05 PM
Fire Giant

I can usually guess with about 90% accuracy who's going to get what loot when it drops. Every member from the leader on down to the low % raiders knows who puts in sufficient work and deserves the item at that time. It's been a really fair process for the time I've been in a guild with a loot council.
Old 03-14-2015, 05:27 PM
Sarnak

I never understood why a straight up /random, conducted either by leadership or actual players, isn't considered fair. Show up to twice as many raids, get twice as many items. Keeps from zerg recruiting when senior members understand they'll be losing items to the new guys, but encourages participation because every raid could be the raid you get your item!

"I've spent more time at this camp so I get first dibs" has never been the way we determine 6-man loot, right?
Old 03-14-2015, 05:27 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecily [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yes, you're being overly worried about not getting pixels and that screams loot whore to me which could turn into an amusingly ironic self fulfilling prophecy.
Spoken like a true Heather.
Old 03-14-2015, 05:41 PM
Fire Giant

Its not about control over your items. It is not about YOU period. You are turning the DKP system into something it is not, or I should say giving it a reason for being that was not its reason for being.

The reason for our DKP system, and most others I would assume, was not to cater to individual members desire to have control over what they get and when they get it - individuals will always be contending with others who want the same control they will never have because of that very competition. The primary reason is to have a system of loot distribution that, once constructed, moves according to its own logic and does not rely on the decisions of a few to distribute anything. The rules are set in stone, and it goes.

Now if people want to collude amongst their classes and deflate the value of their class items, let them. If every class colludes it would make the deflation that occurs in all class specific values irrelevant.
Old 03-14-2015, 05:51 PM
Planar Protector

There is pros and cons to all systems. I greatly prefer loot council systems that use metrics to back up their decisions; metrics such as attendance percentage, DKP, how recently a player has been awarded another item, etc. It allows players that put in the time to get the items they want while also keeping the progression of the guild as a whole in check. That's simply my taste, however. I'm sure other systems work perfectly fine for groups of players.
Old 03-14-2015, 06:11 PM
Sarnak

On progression server (The Combine), in Realm of Insanity, we used an award system. It worked well because we were only in each expansion for a month or two (since we would unlock the next one pretty quickly), so we needed the most bang for our buck. Never heard complaining about loot, either. I am guessing being in each expansion for a month or two made most people not care too much about the current expansions loot.

On live, we used a DKP system where you could bid up to 2x your points, and if you bid at least half the max bid, you would roll your bid. The item could would be half the max bid. I.e. if Item X drops, and you bid 200 points, and someone else bids 500, you wouldn't roll since 500 / 2 = 250 and then the item cost would be 250. If you bid 300, then you would roll 300 while the person who bid 500 would roll 500. Highest roll won and had the item's cost subtracted from their dkp. It worked well and if you were willing to bid more, you had a better chance at the item. The downside was, our first Aten kill, a ranger who was hoarding DKP won the neck quest piece, and I don't think he was not ready to blow all his DKP on it and he never logged in again after that. But I suppose you have that possibility with any loot system.
Old 03-14-2015, 06:25 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrKvothe [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I never understood why a straight up /random, conducted either by leadership or actual players, isn't considered fair. Show up to twice as many raids, get twice as many items.
ROLEPLAY SCENARIO

Guild A gets a shot at Trakanon once every few months due to the raid scene on the server. Donal's BP drops, straight up /random happens, the cleric who logs in once a month for raids happens to win the BP over clerics who have been raiding consistently with the guild. In this exercise, you will roleplay a guild leader frantically trying to convince all those other clerics to remain with your guild and devising a new method of distributing high-value/high-rarity loot...

"You know you done fucked up when Yendor gives you raid commentary." - Tiggles
Closed Thread