Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 01-31-2015, 11:20 PM
Orc

I must have died 100 times because of disconnects in the past week and it's a joke ... Will i get a gm rez? Nah. Is this "classic", or intended? Nah. I know, i'm just some nerd that is crying over elf simulator, but jesus man it's not only me and it's driving me up the wall when i decide to sit down and play this game. Damnit.
Old 01-31-2015, 11:22 PM
Orc

I live in Canada with a totally different ISP and I am suffering from the exact same problem you're all describing.

I go LD every 2 hours on the nose. It is not my ISP, my modem, or my computer.

I am no computer expert, but I think it has to do with dynamically-assigned IP addresses. If you run MSCONFIG on windows XP run dialogue, then go to the TOOLS tab, and launch IPCONFIG (make sure you enable Advanced Options check box), I see when my IP lease was obtained. For example we'll say it January 31st, 2015 at 6:04pm EST. Now, if I log onto EQ and play, I go LD at exactly 8:04pm EST.

I figure my IP renews its lease every 2.0 hours, and EQ reads this as an interrupt and LDs me. It's handy to know that every 2.0 hours I will disconnect, so I make sure I'm not in combat while soloing. However, I have not changed anything to my set up in a long time, so this is not a client-side issue.

So obviously something has changed server-side to the EQ game server. Again, I am by no means a computer guy, but perhaps there's a way to loosen up the server's parameter's for what constitutes a disconnect?
Old 02-01-2015, 01:56 AM
Kobold

It has been worse than usual tonight, completely unplayable as I disconnect constantly. Let's get some ideas going on what could be causing this.
Old 02-01-2015, 02:37 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintmaster [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is most likely the same problem that was happening back in early December. There were a number of posts just like this including mine of random Link Deaths of players who use Charter Cable and Time Warner Cable in NC, SC, GA, TN, AL, and FL(I am in Alabama). It was very frustrating and was only affecting EQ not websurfing etc.

Someone with a lot more expertise than me posted at that time that in those States Charter cable often pauses for 10 to 20 seconds at a time. With newer programs this just causes a slightly noticeable lag or a page which stalls out and has to be reloaded. But older programs like classic EQ boot you out when they detect that the ISP has paused for more than 10 or 15 sec.

The problem appeared to have cleared up for me back in mid December but has come back with a vengeance about 10 days ago. First an LD about every 2 hours, but the past 2 days I have been going LD about every 10 minutes. I have contacted Charter twice and they say my cable is working fine and it must be my router or modem. But I explain to them that my daughter is online on Charter as well on the same EQ program and goes LD at the exact same time....and she lives 5 miles away. I also have a new router since Christmas and the LDs were happening on both the old and new router.

I have had Charter for over 15 years and it is typical that they will never take responsibility for problems. I am not a tech person and what I have noted above is just a rehash of what was posted here in December. I hope and wish that someone has more pull with Charter than I do because unless they take responsibility and make some changes to their antiquated equipment P99 has become unplayable for me. In fact I am really getting tired of the pauses in Charter service on other programs and repeatedly having to reload webpages. The only alternative I have is a dedicated Hotspot I purchased back in the summer which I may have to start using and just cancel Charter service.

Any other feedback would be VERY appreciated because i am absolutely frustrated at this point
I am in this same boat.

AND it affects my ability to browse www.project1999.com at the same time during the DC.
Old 02-01-2015, 08:49 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirviver [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I am in this same boat.

AND it affects my ability to browse www.project1999.com at the same time during the DC.
project1999.com URL and the game are on the same server IP according to my trace routes.

Refreshing P99 website and getting a connection error has actually started to clue me in that I was going to be crashing in the game shortly after too.

Logged in this morning, less than 4 mins in... Had just put up my 2nd auction in EC tunnel when LD... /sigh....

Krey
Old 02-01-2015, 10:58 AM
Large Rat

I have died countless times to this stupid issue. Is there anyone looking into this or should I just give up my on my EverQuest dreams?
Old 02-01-2015, 11:14 AM
Large Rat

I am having the same issues.
Old 02-01-2015, 11:50 AM
Large Bat

Default possible disconnect fix VPN?

Someone mentioned in another thread related to this to try using a VPN.

Today i have been dcing roughly every 8 to 15 mins.

Set up a VPN, so far not a blip for 1hr 32mins.

I know its not long enough to consider it being a fix (1.5 hours is not that long), but its the longest ive been online without a dc this week.
Old 02-01-2015, 12:52 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by magisterco [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Someone mentioned in another thread related to this to try using a VPN.

Today i have been dcing roughly every 8 to 15 mins.

Set up a VPN, so far not a blip for 1hr 32mins.

I know its not long enough to consider it being a fix (1.5 hours is not that long), but its the longest ive been online without a dc this week.
Its probably because the VPN is routing better then your ISP is therefore again proving that its a IP issue and not a p99 issue.
Old 02-01-2015, 01:38 PM
Large Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thulack [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Its probably because the VPN is routing better then your ISP is therefore again proving that its a IP issue and not a p99 issue.
I am not trying to blame here, just trying to help get a fix.