Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 01-10-2015, 03:13 PM
Large Bat

Default New, unable to launch game.

Hello, I am new and tryin to get the game going. I've been at it for hours and so far unsuccessful. Having worked through a few problems, I'm currently stuck at:

Character select screen, Lists an error about spells needing updated.
And the game will only play in a small windowed mode currently.

I've read the Faq's and looked at the links and downloaded files from them(doxa, and wineq) but,

I can't find instructions on what to actually do with the files for Doxa. I can download them, and even look at them with winzip, but find No Clues on what to do with them other than "Note to previous version users - Simply download and run it like you did the first time, it will overwrite any of the old files with new changes."

How do I Run this program? what do I do with it?

How can I get past this character select screen error and run in full screen? my Moniter(s) innate reso is 1920x1080 widescreen. I've actually had to unplug 1 moniter just to get this far =(.

Thank you in advanced!

Signed,
Some-Handholding-Required.
Old 01-10-2015, 03:56 PM
Kobold

You need to the latest patch. Go to the home page and click the link under Patch Notes[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]ec 04, 2014. The unzip into your EQ folder.

Once you are patched up to current just make a character, log in and you will be able to change your screen resolution in options/display (little 'EQ' button). There is also an option to load UIs under general options.

Welcome aboard & Good luck.
Last edited by Twoberries; 01-10-2015 at 05:36 PM.. Reason: UI is in general not display :p
Old 01-10-2015, 04:42 PM
Large Bat

Hi, Twoberries!
Thank you for your prompt reply! Alas, I've done this process a few times already. Kinda.
What I mean by Kinda is, I didn't have a zip program at first, so I downloaded the Project 1999 Files (V36) to my desktop. Then I went and grabbed WinZip online...boy was that a trial. They bundle so much crap with that file these days but that's another story.....So I grabbed WinZip free version, and used to to extract the files to my titanium folder. But woe! It said I need administrator privileges to change the files. Whelp I didn't know what to do since there aren't profiles used on my computer so I couldn't log in as administrator...that I know of. So I unzipped the files to my desktop. Then I opened that folder and right click copied those files. I routed myself to my titanium folder and right click pasted them into it. it gave me the jargon about choosing to copy over, or duplicate or what not, to the files, and a few even asked me to use admin privileges and allowed with the click of a button. So, I have...in that way, put the Project 1999 Files (V36) into my titanium folder. and I still get the same message.

When I log into the character select screen, above the human character displayed it says "Your spells file is outdated. (0 Unknown Class) Unknown Zone.

Then the buttons where you'd usually click which character you want to play, in those buttons it says; "Your spells file is outdated" next button, "Please visit project1999.org"
next button "and get the latest files from" and then "the getting started post." and then the button at the very bottom says "(ERRORCODE SP-1)".

at this point, clicking the connect to world button instantly disconnects you. err me.

Help me Obi-Wan, your our only Hope! =)
Old 01-10-2015, 05:05 PM
Banned

Contact me on my website if you need step by step installation instructions.
Old 01-11-2015, 04:06 PM
Large Bat

Nothing working. want to play game >_<
Old 01-11-2015, 04:17 PM
Fire Giant

So from what I'm gathering from your posts, you've probably installed EQ into the default directory, something like c:\program files?

Try moving your Everquest directory from c:\program files\<EQ Directory> to the root of your drive, say C:\<eq directory>. Once the directory has been moved (remember to update your launch shortcut) try copying the new patch files there and see if it'll let you play.

The tech support forums are littered with posts about people having issues after installing to the default directory when using Windows 7 / 8.

Drumas - 60 Cleric
Ashintar - 60 Wizard
Old 01-11-2015, 06:06 PM
Planar Protector

These are all common problems easily fixed with everything that everyone said.

Move the EQ folder reinstall the patch change the shortcut.

Give up on getting it to play in full screen play in windows mode you will get used to it and it will come in handy when you want to multi-task while medding or LFG or need to look up a map because you grabbed aggro from some mob while running thru a zone and are llike OMMMMMGGGGGG need a map.
(im a bard it happens all the time)
Old 01-11-2015, 07:34 PM
Large Bat

So, I couldn't get it to work with my copy of Titanium, which was in default directory, was hoping mine would be different (win7pro), but I was atleast able to get to the character select screen, but it said the blerb about spells not being updated, even though I was copying the patch36 files into my p99 folder. I deleted my Titanium downloaded a titanium torrent, unzipped it to c, created a shortcut of eqgame.exe, right clicked the desktop shortcut of eqgame.exe and added patchme to the target and when I click apply or ok, i get the same message: Problem with Shortcut, The name '"C:\EverQuest EMU\eqgame.exe"patchme' specified in the Target box is not valid. Make sure the path and file name are correct.
Old 01-11-2015, 07:51 PM
Planar Protector

You have to mount and install it you know that right?
Old 01-11-2015, 07:59 PM
Large Bat

Didn't have to mount or install this particular copy of Titanium, nor was it part of the instructions given. The files are there, on C:.