Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

View Poll Results: What was the pinnacle of Everquest?
Everquest 47 10.56%
The Ruins of Kunark 35 7.87%
The Scars of Velious 123 27.64%
The Shadows of Luclin 45 10.11%
The Planes of Power 180 40.45%
The Legacy of Ykesha 2 0.45%
Lost Dungeons of Norrath 7 1.57%
Gates of Discord 6 1.35%
Voters: 445. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 08:09 PM
Fire Giant

The only reason I would vote no to just original would be because everyone would have guise and manastone. Endgame 50 would be pretty meh, but I didn't play originally when there was a cap at 50 so I'm probably not the best judge of that.

What zone turn into the best spot to AoE, because you know people will want to do that even if the level cap is 50 and without hell levels to slow the progression down like they did with the run to 60 it's pretty easy to do.
Old 12-20-2014, 08:12 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buriedpast [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The fact GoD is in the poll, but not Omens of War?

OoW was the best expansion released since velious.

It had excellent group and casual play, real accessible progression for armour and epics for casuals, and an extremely well scaling couple of dungeons and XP zones.

Raid wise OoW was a game changer from anything prior in EQ. It had the mystery of old EQ feel where you felt scared and alone, an excellently designed raid scene with properly intelligent trials etc. A tiered access system that worked wonderfully and a SHITLOAD of 6 man content to be done. Endgame raiding was sensational with a trash kill to boss dungeon (anguish), properly difficult strategic fights (not just 1 round AoW style shit) and proper risk v reward with very little patching needed or changing loots.

GoD by comparison was an absolute fuckup and should never have been released.

Omens of War, and the beginning days of velious and mid-late luclin were the three times I loved the game the most. Exploring velious zones, those crazy races through Ssra temple, and late night MPG trial runs in pugs...epic
+1 TRUTH
Old 12-20-2014, 08:38 PM
Kobold

PoP all the way I loved that expansion... sure I coulda done without going to the moon but the planes made up with it. The only real downside about that expansion would have been the knowledge books which made travel too easy(But that might have just been cause I was a druid lol).

There was something pretty much for everyone even raid wise, you had the elemental planes and time for the hardcore guys and you have the other planes for the not-so-serious players. Druid and Shaman got there better heals to help but in the dent of needing all clerics.
Old 12-20-2014, 08:39 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusD [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Let's cut the bullshit and make an original ONLY server. None of this -kunark- -velious- -mabye progression- distractions. There is so much to explore and take in and roleplaying to do. People who want more content aren't cut out for EQ the way it was designed imo. The people who want expansions (yes including kunark and velious) are the people who wanted a sequel to the matrix. Where do these people come from?

No one understands how everquest original hit the nail on the head so perfectly. It's simple. It was made by a team of utter genius experts. Where did they get their expertise? By decades of board and dice DnD. Why? Because that is all they had and they became masters of the mechanics without all the UI and programming languages and other aspects of making a game muddying it and taking precedence. There is just simply no one in the industry anymore with that kind of mastery of RPG mechanics.
There's a lot of truth to this. I think there's a strong argument to be made that from a game design perspective, EQ Classic stands alone. That doesn't mean it's the best from the perspective of being an MMO that people want to play for years on end (obviously the lack of content becomes an issue), but for simply the sheer joy and challenge of starting a character from level 1 and going on an online roleplaying/adventuring journey with other players, it's hard to top the charm and excellent design of Classic EQ.

I wonder how popular a P1999 pure classic server that was automatically wiped every six months (or perhaps yearly, but that might be too long) would be. It would obviously be a server that was much more about the journey and the struggle than the destination. I think that would be pretty cool, and people would approach the game much differently if they knew their pixels wouldn't last, but their memories would.
Old 12-20-2014, 09:59 PM
Planar Protector

I'm definitely in the minority but I didn't enjoy Velious on live as much as Kunark, and I felt glad to get out of snow land and onto the moon.

PoP was the golden era however, the Europeans among us got an EQ server that was off the main US server list (Venril Sathir) and it was really great to not start a raid at 1am [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 12-20-2014, 10:27 PM
Sarnak

I quit after pop as well. Mostly because GoD was just a terrible expansion.

I know a lot of people hated LDoN but I thought it was kinda fun. Sure the zones were ugly and mostly boring (especially as a bard, move into room, lull everything pull a few, repeat). But it was really the first set of group content that was more active than camping. Even if "active" meant your group had to move up to the next room every couple of minutes. Some of the dungeons even had really cool special rooms! Like that one in Miragles with the room with the thing in it. You know.

Edit: LDoN Raids fucking sucked though. I really liked how you could save points and buy useful gear in LDoN though. Some of that gear was on par with SSRA raid gear, which enabled some individual effort pre-raid gearing. Could have been better, but not as bad as GoD.
Last edited by maestrom; 12-20-2014 at 10:32 PM..
Old 12-20-2014, 10:30 PM
Kobold

I really miss the planes. Those were great times.
Old 12-20-2014, 11:19 PM
Banned

the pinnacle of everquest is zoning into PoF with 8 people and killing 40 raiders who then send you hate tells for 5 hours

so anytime after PoF release i guess
Old 12-20-2014, 11:22 PM
Banned

vlassic vanilla is best. when the planes were actually hard and it took a raid force to kill phinny
Old 12-21-2014, 12:40 AM
Fire Giant

Tbh, Moon Cats is hardcore nostalgia for me and it was when I explored Norrath the most as a kid.

BLUE
46 Warrior - Elkantor, 35 Shadowknight - Geldriia, 46 Enchanter - Shebreeze
Closed Thread