Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 05:54 AM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastboy21 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Explain to me how "the dark ages" were caused by Christianity again?

(They weren't.)
(They were)
Old 10-15-2010, 06:05 AM
Planar Protector

The so-called Dark Ages are usually referred to as the gap between the fall of Rome and beginning of the Renaissance. This is about a 1000 year period between around 500 and 1500 AD. The dating is very rough because the term (like all historical terms) are man made and imperfect.

The "Dark Ages", for example, was coined by Plutarch who was referring more to the decline of literature and advanced arts when he first used the term. Since then the term has been badly used to describe a wretched existence of the European people. This use is highly debated, and historians today (generally) agree that the Middle Ages were not really all that "Dark" anyways.

Most historians center the beginning of the Dark Ages on the collapse of order in Western Europe that occurred when the western Roman Empire collapsed and its institutions ceased to exist. In this power vacuum entered an extremely chaotic and violent power struggle.

In the eastern Roman Empire, which held out until 1453, the Dark Ages never happened. They were ravaged by the same diseases, fought wars just as violent, were Christians, etc, and yet did not enter a "Dark Age" in their own history.

So, what caused the Roman Empire in the west to fall? Sir Edward Gibbon wrote his famous work The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire in 1776. He does state that he blames Christianity for the fall of the empire as a primary cause. Unfortunately, his work has been examined and largely discredited in the last 200+ years. It is widely known that Gibbon was an extreme anti-Catholic in his own lifetime and was most likely heavily biased when he blamed the Christian Church for the fall of Rome. Today, Gibbon is usually acknowledged as a father in the historiography for his work (which was extremely original at the time), but I am unaware of any graduate program in classical studies today that puts Gibbon on their reading list other than to pay him his hat honor. His work, simply, is unusable as a source in any academic work due to the major inaccuracies he assumed for fact in the 18th century.

While I am aware that Christianity is often blamed for the fall of the Roman Empire in popular culture, I have never seen any credible source that argues the assertion with even a small amount of believability. There are just far too many other reasons why the western Roman Empire fell that have nothing to do with Christianity.

Its also important to remember that the Catholic Church was weak at the beginning of the "Dark Ages." It was only after several hundred years after the Romans fell in the West that the Church emerged as a powerful political institution. For most of the time period that the Church held control of Europe during the Middle Ages (the High Middle Ages) there was prosperity: the quality of life increased for the peasants/serfs, the life expectancy increased due to good nutrition, population boomed for the first time since the fall of Rome.

The Crisis at the end of the Middle Ages (the Late Middle Ages) was certainly, in part, due to the corruption of the Catholic Church. It was also due to global cooling, famine, black plague, and warfare. The corruption of the Church, however, mostly occurred at its highest levels and clergy and laypeople at the bottom remained true to their faiths. The Conciliar movement, for example, was a challenge to the corruption of the papacy but was lead by priests and laypeople from within the Church.

In any case, I find it hard to understand why Christianity would be the cause of the Dark Ages---which, really, weren't that dark to begin with.

**goes back to sleep**
Old 10-15-2010, 06:50 AM
Planar Protector

*petrarch, not plutarch (should wake up before writing).
Old 10-15-2010, 07:05 AM
Orc

I'm sorry. "The Dark Ages" is a very misleading term. The Early Middle Ages in Western Europe were, however, marked by gross corruption in the church. You cannot refute that the various Western Christian empires suffered horribly from infighting, intellectual stagnation, and the unavailability of Greek/Latin texts in the sciences. The Byzantine Empire (which is left out of the 'Dark Ages' label) and Arabic countries did not suffer so.

Yes, the 'Dark Ages' are largely a misnomer and not as terribly as popular culture leads us to believe, but the Early Middle Ages in Western Europe were indeed dictated by the various Christian churches and much of previous scientific knowledge was blocked by the church. Don't go all Devil's Advocate on this shit.
Old 10-15-2010, 07:06 AM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Don't go all Devil's Advocate on this shit.
Because that'll get you hung.
Old 10-15-2010, 07:35 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theldios [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Really so you went to Catechism or just to a Catholic Church owned school?
There is a big difference you know.

So if you did go to Catechism then you must have learned the Seven Sacraments correct?
So do tell what are they?
I'd have hanged myself had I gone to Catechism, no, I attended a Catholic School owned by a church. And if you think that having more knowledge than me on this topic and still believing in it proves anything other than that you are even more easily misled (brainwashed) than most, you are sorely mistaken.
Honestly I can not understand why any (free thinking) person that actually has researched the knowledge and history of organized religion can still believe in it.
At one point I was like the rest of you church-goers, however it took a VERY small amount of research to actually see the corruption that organized religion pushes. Infact, I'd wager that the world would be largely without war or poverty if the idea of organized religion had never been invented.
You can not use the excuse that you've "felt the presence of god" as a basis of argument either, as you have never met the fuker therefore you have no idea what his presence feels like.
Furthermore, the people that you (as church-goers) have "running the show" are filthy rich, something that your messiah openly stated would get you nothing more than pain and anguish. Yet you abide what they say as if it were fact? You listen to them in their decision making without investigating for yourself what their internal motives are? Sounds an awful lot like suicide bombers to me. At least the kamikazes had it right, they were at the very least killing them selves for a REAL reason. Not some falsification used to create an international military.
Put it to you this way, if the church calls a war against another religion you will vow your support 100%, the reason you "believe" in something bigger than yourself. News flash dickhead, so did Jim Jones.
And take over your face
With the front of my Hatredcopter
Old 10-15-2010, 07:43 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanlei [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Put it to you this way, if the church calls a war against another religion you will vow your support 100%, the reason? you "believe" in something bigger than yourself. News flash dickhead, so did Jim Jones.

fixt
And take over your face
Old 10-15-2010, 07:50 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theldios [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Really so you went to Catechism or just to a Catholic Church owned school?
There is a big difference you know.

So if you did go to Catechism then you must have learned the Seven Sacraments correct?
So do tell what are they?
oh, and I made it to confermation. I still have my stupid baptism flag that we made at school, and vaguely remember Eucharist (1st communion) and my first reconciliation (or penance).

Apparently you don't need to go to Catechism to partake in these events, or I was mislead and I actually was going to Catechism. However I find this entirely unlikely because I didn't even learn what Catechism was untill after I left that school.
And take over your face
Old 10-15-2010, 07:52 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanlei [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
confirmation.
sry, late and I'm tired.
And take over your face
Old 10-15-2010, 09:46 AM
Aviak

How's this for an idea?

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Branlenio Sprocketmender <Disciples of the Gods> -- Gnome Magician
Amahn <Disciples of the Gods> -- Wood Elf Druid
Alhbie Eurhuckelberry -- Erudite Paladin
Closed Thread