Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 03:21 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frieza_Prexus [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
All we need now is for Mel to sacrifice Shireen and for Stannis to rage-choke her to death and his transition will be complete.
This is most likely going to happen and I'm going to be super pissed. Shireen owns.
Old 08-06-2014, 07:16 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frieza_Prexus [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I completely agree. Stannis won't be a "great" king; he will be a very effective king. He's already softened once by going up to the wall. He was trying to "be king so he could save the realm" when Davos reminded him to "save the realm to become king." All we need now is for Mel to sacrifice Shireen and for Stannis to rage-choke her to death and his transition will be complete.

Even with his current faults, he's STILL the one guy out of all the current candidates that I'd trust.
If Shireen is sacrified, he'd definitely free himself of the evil within, in which case I will concede that he'd make a good king. But we were discussing present leadership. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, because I'd take Jon Snow, Dany, Davos, Tyrion, and pretty much everyone who isn't a Frey or Petyr Baelish over Stannis. I don't hate his character (despite what I said earlier), he definitely has redeeming qualities, but I certainly don't want to see him ever take the throne. I am cheering for him against Ramsay though, which is important - I am against him taking the throne, but not against him playing a larger part in the saga.

It's definitely a matter of personal perspective, which is important since you brought up "trust". I am more inclined to trust Dany's intentions, for instance, as opposed to Stannis' capabilities. It's just what you'd look for in a leader. Personally, I think morality is more important than anything, including intelligence or efficacy... too many people have been great / intelligent / capable leaders that have failed to consider the populations under their control. Similarly, people with good intentions have often led their people unto the worst results, so it's purely a matter of choice. I don't think it likely that I'd ever accept Stannis, short of him taking the black and admitting all of his transgressions.

Also you *****s be crazy... Dany is hawt, has dragons, and is trying to hone her craft in Essos (admittedly by destroying cities haha) before even departing for KL. Sirken might be right about something... given her brother and father's madness, it could be true that she is moving towards insanity. If that's the case, I'll readily admit that I was wrong about her, but until then, I'm holding out for either her or Jon Snow... or the extremely unlikely Davos which would be my first choice for king. It's interesting how Rhaegar receives universal acclaim from the realm for his character, exploits, and abilities, while seemingly everyone else in his family (his immediate branch of the Targaryen line, not the entire Dynasty) fails at just about everything that they attempt.

On a side note, some of the worst casting in the show IMO were the Baratheons. They were supposed to be giant, imposing, physical specimens; I didn't picture Robert being some fat average height douche or Stannis to look like a substitute teacher.
Old 08-06-2014, 09:05 PM
VIP / Contributor

while i love Davos, theres 0 chance for him to be king. he has no claim, he has no army. Dany would have shit for a council. Jon Snow knows nothing. Dany is hot? shes like 16. but shes also retarded. who the hell would be her council? she has no common sense, she has no idea how westeros works, and shes losing control of her dragons. shes literally fucking useless.

Robert gets fat and drunky, if u wanna see young robert you're sol. also remember the Cleganes are bigger than the Baratheons. if u want to knit pick, Tywin and Syrio are bald, and Daario should have a blue trident beard.

Sirken's Twitch Stream - www.twitch.tv/sirken_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uthgaard View Post
Accusing me of simultaneous favoritism for two opposing guilds involves a special kind of stupid
Quote:
Originally Posted by karsten View Post
going after sirken is like going to a cheerleader convention and punching the only one that bothered to talk to you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogean View Post
I've met Sirken IRL.. he ain't jelly of shit

Old 08-06-2014, 09:51 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirken [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
while i love Davos, theres 0 chance for him to be king. he has no claim, he has no army. Dany would have shit for a council. Jon Snow knows nothing. Dany is hot? shes like 16. but shes also retarded. who the hell would be her council? she has no common sense, she has no idea how westeros works, and shes losing control of her dragons. shes literally fucking useless.

Robert gets fat and drunky, if u wanna see young robert you're sol. also remember the Cleganes are bigger than the Baratheons. if u want to knit pick, Tywin and Syrio are bald, and Daario should have a blue trident beard.
Haha I'm not serious about her being hot... I thought the ***** plz made that clear. But if I were talking about her attractiveness, I'd obviously be referring to Emilia Clarke or whatever her name is in the show. As for being useless, she brought the dragons into the story, which will be the weapon that defeats the Others.... And is, by the way, the reason why magic is returning to the world. Dany has already played a critical role, and the fact that she has survived this far leads me to believe that she has a further purpose.
Jon Snow knows nothing? Except how to infiltrate an enemy army and become lord commander of the nights watch while a teenager....
Jon Snow is a Targaryen and a stark, he literally is ice and fire, the blood of the first men and the blood of old Valyria, he has some very important part to play.

We'll have to agree to disagree... As strongly as you oppose Dany, I oppose Stannis. I honestly think he's among the worst choices in the novels for king, and I'm sure you'd think the same about Dany being queen.

Robert Baratheon's casting was bad. But you're right, there were other misses, like Dany's and Viserys' hair and eye color (mainly the eyes). But Robert looks 5'10; I could take him in real life. And I work at a desk and play tennis for exercise.... The Baratheon's should be able to take Mike Tyson in his prime. As for the Cleganes... Those dudes are 6'6" and 6'9"... Plenty of people that could've been casted for Robert that were shorter... Namely anyone from the Netherlands, or Vin Diesel (being facetious).
Old 08-06-2014, 09:55 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirken
while i love Davos, theres 0 chance for him to be king. he has no claim, he has no army. Dany would have shit for a council.
Exactly my point. Of all the people who stand a reasonable chance (>1%) of being king, none have the resources or experience needed. Obviously, Rhaegar would make the best king ever, but it's not a realistic view. Dany has the mind and the temperment to do so, but not the administrative or political resources necessary. (Also, she's going to ultimately be a villain). Stannis has some huge faults, but his kingdom is the only one that would not be plagued by perpetual war and unrest. I think Dany could ultimately do a good job as queen, but it's not likely and she faces an uphill battle. It's not that I want Stannis to be king, it's just that I think the kingdom is more likely to prosper under him than anyone else.

I agree that the Baratheon actors were way too small. I think the actors have all done an amazing job portraying them, but they all needed another foot of height.
Last edited by Frieza_Prexus; 08-06-2014 at 09:58 PM..
Old 08-07-2014, 12:33 PM
VIP / Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriam1066 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Jon Snow is a Targaryen and a stark, he literally is ice and fire, the blood of the first men and the blood of old Valyria, he has some very important part to play.
until Howland Reed shows up, Jon isn't shit but a bastard crow.

also, rereading the Dunk and Egg stories. ill never get use to having so many Targaryens just casually strolling around. poor Ser Duncan

Quote:
Accusing me of simultaneous favoritism for two opposing guilds involves a special kind of stupid
Quote:
going after sirken is like going to a cheerleader convention and punching the only one that bothered to talk to you
Quote:

Old 08-07-2014, 07:03 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Exactly my point. Of all the people who stand a reasonable chance (>1%) of being king, none have the resources or experience needed. Obviously, Rhaegar would make the best king ever, but it's not a realistic view. Dany has the mind and the temperment to do so, but not the administrative or political resources necessary. (Also, she's going to ultimately be a villain). Stannis has some huge faults, but his kingdom is the only one that would not be plagued by perpetual war and unrest. I think Dany could ultimately do a good job as queen, but it's not likely and she faces an uphill battle. It's not that I want Stannis to be king, it's just that I think the kingdom is more likely to prosper under him than anyone else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirken [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
No point arguing about this any further, it just comes down to personal preferences when we read the books.

I'm more interested in finding out, or at least confirming, the identity of Young Griff. The Winds of Winter should be the best book since A Storm of Swords.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:46 PM
Banned

Quote:

also, rereading the Dunk and Egg stories. ill never get use to having so many Targaryens just casually strolling around. poor Ser Duncan
What about when Rob's men show up with the letter legitimizing him? The argument would be, if Jon swore his oath to the night's watch as a bastard of the north, then became something else, the oath would no longer hold. This is just as true if he finds out he's a Targaryen. Jon Snow swore that oath, but Jon Snow would no longer exist.
Old 08-08-2014, 03:25 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
...Dany is hot? shes like 16. but shes also retarded. who the hell would be her council? she has no common sense, she has no idea how westeros works, and shes losing control of her dragons. shes literally fucking useless.
I'm thinking that Dany will get her shit together eventually. She lost control of her dragons for now but if she were to eventually get her hands on that dragon horn Victarian has with him and hook up with Archmaester Marwyn (with his dragon binding spells) it could be a total game changer.
Old 08-08-2014, 02:03 PM
VIP / Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aenor [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What about when Rob's men show up with the letter legitimizing him? The argument would be, if Jon swore his oath to the night's watch as a bastard of the north, then became something else, the oath would no longer hold. This is just as true if he finds out he's a Targaryen. Jon Snow swore that oath, but Jon Snow would no longer exist.
"the realm" never recognized Robb as King, even if most of the north did. The line of kings goes Aerys, Robert, Joffrey, Tommen. Anything that Robb did as "king" would not be considered a legitimate kings edict by the realm, hence, Robb's letter doesn't mean shit, especially since at the time Jon was a sworn brother of the nights watch. the nights watch doesnt care about family names or blood lines, the man swore an oath. if it was as easy as changing a name, folks would leave all the time.

also, Robb was an idiot. and off the battlefield made every possible wrong decision that he could have made.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Closed Thread