Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 12:03 PM
Large Rat

Cool Suggestions for duo comp?

Hey all,

My brother and I have decided to take a trip down memory lane and try some P1999. We are, however very out of touch with which classes would be good for a duo (possibly more depending on our lame-o friends) composition.

We are:

Basically brand new... No money/gear, so gear dependent classes may not be prime. Also, we are no longer familiar with zones and such, so it might be better if we started off in the same zone.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 06-12-2014, 12:06 PM
Sarnak

cleric / enchanter
cleric / mage
shaman / monk

last one prob not as good because monks although do fine on low gear, it will be lame as a first character as you need to watch your weight constantly, so you will be poor throughout most of your leveling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doil_Boil View Post
If an event happens on the red server, but no one is there to play it, does it still occur?
Old 06-12-2014, 12:29 PM
Orc

Shaman/Monk would work well if the shaman were an ogre or troll and looted for both of them. Plus they will start off relatively close to each other (minimal distance between the two) and could farm Guk to get mesh/netted for the monk.
Old 06-12-2014, 12:32 PM
Large Rat

There's nothing I love more than shammy buffs on my monk. I'd definitely go with the last option. Otherwise it would be cleric/enchanter since the reliance on gear isn't as dire.
Old 06-12-2014, 12:40 PM
Large Rat

Thanks for all of the replies guys! I'm trying to talk my bro out of playing paladin... He wants to be a tank for sure I think.
Old 06-12-2014, 12:58 PM
Orc

Iksar Warrior or Shadow Knight, with Iksar Shaman.

Because, let's be honest here, Iksar = master race
Old 06-12-2014, 01:04 PM
Fire Giant

As stated above, monk/shaman would be a great combo. If your brother really wants to tank, he can do so relatively well as a monk late-game, at least in small experience groups anyway. My friend and I started on this server with that combo and it worked great - without any gear, it's very easy to duo some early cash camps, and you can sell anywhere you want with the monk's fd/sneak shenanigans. Also fun [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

If you go with this combo and want to connect quickly with the community, you should do a human monk w/ troll/ogre shammy to start near EC (the major trade hub). If you just want to have some nostalgic baddie-bashing fun at first, go iksar. You will be more isolated in the early levels since you'll mostly want to stay in Kunark, (though you can still find plenty of people to group with in Kurn's Tower etc.) but the racial bonuses are well worth it, and you'll be able to get better items faster (there are simply more of them in Kunark that are attainable at lower levels.)
Maamdak Battlebeard - 48 Dwarf Rogue
Crunkasaurus Rex - 49 Ogre Shaman
Mendak - 51 Halfling Druid (Green)

<Paradox> RIP
Old 06-12-2014, 01:11 PM
Planar Protector

Necro / shaman.
Ench / shaman.
Ench / necro.

Necros can use their heal over time to heal up shamans cannibalizing (and cancel magic on themselves so they don't lose hp). Shamans can regen necros to cancel out their lich hp loss. Ench and necro both have amazing pets (especially when you get charm) and when soloing you have to worry about the pet outdamaing you (which will happen with a charm pet), but if you're in a group that penalty doesn't apply. Shamans can heal and root if a charm pet breaks and they can malo the pet so that charm breaks less often.

Monk is a good duo with a shaman but it's really outclassed by the synergy between shaman and either ench or necro. Plus casters are more fun to play.
Closed Thread