Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 01:54 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavydrop [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I have.. ..consulted with.. ..God.
Edit's just took out unnecessary rhetoric. This sentence is well intact within his speech.

This is all I need to know.

Thank you, drive through.
Old 09-13-2010, 01:55 AM
Banned

Lol it's funny you went back to your bread and butter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abacab *****h [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's a poor attempt at humor by intentionally misquoting someone to make a joke at the posters expense.

Example:

Harrison posts "My dick is huge!"

someone quotes it and replaces "huge" with "small"

they then type "fixed" "fixt" or "Fix'd" in an attempt to tell everyone else that what Harrison meant to say is he has a small dick, thus there is the joke at Harrison's expense.
Old 09-13-2010, 02:07 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbinbad [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Edit's just took out unnecessary rhetoric. This sentence is well intact within his speech.

This is all I need to know.

Thank you, drive through.
It is easy to mock what you do not or refuse to understand.
Much more difficult to act on faith and humble yourself and reach out
to a higher power that is real and is there for you. Always.
It is your choice to disregard anything anyone says but the only one you
are selling short is yourself.
You may choose to deny yourself something greater, but if you're so smart
and secure with yourself why seek to undermine others?
I've gone against my own personal dictates and posted what I really feel
on this forum in general but I will not recount anything I have said.
I know it is true and your insecurities will not alter that.
I wish you well.

Kalepto Mayniak - 54 Half-Elf Rogue

Ithamar Kenobi- 57 High Elf Magician
171 research skill
Old 09-13-2010, 02:18 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavydrop [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
For every bit of anti-mormon comment I've ever read I've read even more
compelling evidence supporting what I already know to be true.
The video is amusing.
It is not right from the Mormons but from what I gather it was instead made by some anti-Mormon entity.
It blends actual Mormon doctrine with some things that are not doctrine, and like the South Park episode quoted earlier is meant to cast us in an unfavorable light and not to be objectionable or considerate at all.
One critical indication of this to me is when they refer to Jesus as "The Mormon Jesus"
There is only one Jesus.
Again I say, as an adult are you going to formulate your opinion about
someone's faith and beliefs from watching a cartoon or animated show?
Aren't you in turn being manipulated by someone else into thinking or
believing a certain way about something?
The video is childish and again I say it is intended to harm, and not to
instruct or enlighten.

As for your comments against Joseph Smith and the Book of Mormon I have
read far more compelling acheological evidence of it than I ever have that
speaks against it.
http://newsnet.byu.edu/story.cfm/50535
What you have presented is one side of the story, and you do not even
provide a reference.
Ultimately nothing dealing with the Spirit of God can be definatively proven by science. It is not meant to be that way. It must remain a matter of faith thereby providing and protecting something very precious to us all.
Free agency.
With that in mind I have prayed and consulted with the highest, more reputable source possible, that of God Himself. I have recieved confirmation
of the truth through His spirit, there is no greater witness, and I will not turn aside from it or deny it.
Nor will I seek to impose it on any of you. You've made statements about
my faith, and I am defending it.
Mock me and all of religion if you wish, but for me it changes nothing.
My faith is secure.
First I want to say that I applaud your conclusion about free agency and faith. If there were a God who placed a value in free will, I could see this being sufficient reason for him to make the answer to the ultimate origin question unknowable. If it's black and white true for one religion, there's really little free will about it.

Myself, I'm not religious, but I was raised Christian, and that reasoning makes huge sense to me.

But mormonism doesn't. Lets put aside the implausible origin story.

What I'm confused about is why god needed an addendum to the Bible 1900 years later. Did he get it wrong?

And if it really coincides with the Bible, which just from the little bit of doctrine I vaguely remember, I believe there were some contradictions, then why is god being redundant? So wrong or redundant, and why?

Really curious about the mormon answer to the question.
Old 09-13-2010, 02:51 AM
Sarnak

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 09-13-2010, 03:16 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
It is easy to mock what you do not or refuse to understand.
It's easy to mistake apathy for ignorance.
Quote:
Much more difficult to act on faith and humble yourself and reach out to a higher power that is real and is there for you.
I do act on faith. Every day. ..the only difference is that I place my faith in evidence, whereas you and every religious person in the world (yes, I just lump you all together, since you're all equally crazy, mormons aren't special) place your faith in "something someone told you."
Quote:
It is your choice to disregard anything anyone says but the only one you are selling short is yourself.
Back atchya Thumper.
Quote:
You may choose to deny yourself something greater, but if you're so smart and secure with yourself why seek to undermine others?
For sport.
Quote:
I've gone against my own personal dictates and posted what I really feel on this forum in general but I will not recount anything I have said.
Nobody cares that you got down on your knees and blew your god while promising to never kiss and tell dude. Nobody is impressed by your missionary position.
Quote:
I know it is true and your insecurities will not alter that.
I'm rather concerned that your faith is apparently so shaky that you need to keep repeating that some insecurities within ME which you imagine won't affect you. Real convincing.
Quote:
I wish you well.
DIAF
Old 09-13-2010, 04:11 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
"Warrant issued upon written complaint upon oath of Peter G. Bridgeman, who informed that one Joseph Smith of Bainbridge was a disorderly person and an impostor. Prisoner brought before the Court March 20, 1826. Prisoner examined: says that he came from the town of Palmyra ... that he had a certain stone which he occasionally looked at to determine where hidden treasures in the bowels of the earth were; that he professed to tell in this manner where gold mines were a distance under ground ... he pretended to tell by looking at this stone where coined money was buried in Pennsylvania, and while at Palmyra he frequently ascertained in that way where lost property was of various kinds..." - NY Court

I have evidence also. Except mine is proven, verified, independent and not faith based.

Joseph Smith was a fraud, and so was Mormonism. He also plead guilty.
Last edited by ShadowWulf; 09-13-2010 at 04:32 AM..
Old 09-14-2010, 05:23 PM
Aviak

Heavydrop, the thing that bothers me the most is that you keep pressing 'Enter' when you type your posts. STOP DOING THAT! Just type everything out, your browser will automatically wrap the lines around when they get too long.

Use the Enter key only when you're starting a new paragraph.
Old 09-14-2010, 05:56 PM
Banned

I'm going attempt to explain something that probably goes without saying.

Religions are not like laboratory science. The rituals and traditions are often kind of silly when stuck under a microscope. The icky bread and cheap wine don't really turn into flesh and blood. Many of the scriptures don't make sense when taken literally.

Most people, including very religious people, have never read the Bible, or the Koran, or the Torah, or the Tripitaka, or the Vedas, or the Tao te Ching, or any other sacred texts. They have many reasons. Maybe they're just not readers. Maybe they aren't after a literary understanding. Most likely, it's just not what they're after from religion.

Religion is about community. It's about belonging to something bigger than one's self and behaving for the good of that community, not just for selfish motives. The sacred texts and rituals and traditions are all ways to create communal experience, to put our minds in a state away from the concerns of every day life so that the community is receptive to thinking and feeling as part of a larger whole.

Yes, sometimes all of those things are abused for selfish gains. It is important to follow a religious leader with true goodness in his or her heart. But that risk does not negate the very fundamental need that most humans seem to have for spiritual bonding.

There are things about Mormons and most religions that I do not care for, not the least of which is the intolerance they demonstrate for homosexuals. But this is America. Religious freedom is one of the fundamental values that this land is based on and which we all still share.

Before you go off on an ad hominem attack, it is probably appropriate for me to state that I am an atheist.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:03 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alawen Everywhere [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
we all still share
Speak for yourself.