Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 12:42 PM
Planar Protector

Velious beta is allowing boxing too, but all my characters are on the same account so i can't box.

or else i'd be playing Velious beta right now heh.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:52 PM
Kobold

Lol EQ's test server is not the best example. 95% of the population has never submitted a /bug report, and the only real testing that occurs is when the Dev's used to get on and ask for focused help. The only reason most people even play there is because of the XP bonus, the AA perk, unlocked+free content, /testbuff, or that it is quiet enough to play "progression" guilds.

I do see your point though. If you want to go box by yourself in a dark corner its not a bad idea as you can at least help in the process. But after a few months, and a few people become "attached" to the server, they are going to shit bricks and set fire to the Dev's houses when a bad patch breaks it for the entire weekend.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:56 PM
Planar Protector

naysayers

always naysaying

everything i create

sit in your tower!

tenacious-d.jpg

really tho, if EQLive's Test server didn't have those incentives, the few people that do /bug stuff probably wouldn't be on there.

P99's test server doesn't need bonus EXP or anything as an incentive, though -- just the reduced population and ability to box would bring in at least a few dozen people. which would be enough to catch stuff like mobs spawning on roofs, or like the Lich-breaking-invis bug that keeps resurfacing.

and in the long run setting up a Test server for those few dozen people to catch stuff... it would end up reducing the communication load for the staff. when something gets broken and pushed out to 1200 people at once, i'm sure their inboxes and petitions fucking EXPLODE. it would be far less of a headache to have a couple dozen people on a test server catch something and report it.

Quote:
But after a few months, and a few people become "attached" to the server, they are going to shit bricks and set fire to the Dev's houses when a bad patch breaks it for the entire weekend.
that's obvious overexaggeration, but i gotta respond anyway -- if anyone comes to Test server expecting it to work correctly 100% of the time then they're an idiot and should be banned from Test server. even if that did become a bit of an issue, it would work itself out pretty quickly with minimal staff involvement.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:05 PM
Planar Protector

I used to play on Live Test back in the day. Completely different feel and community ( was much nicer ) than live. It would be all broken occasionally, but that goes with it. Got wiped once or twice. All in all it was useful then, and it would be useful now.

The cost involved in keeping it up and open is ( probably ) low, and any testing at all is better than some of the patches have been lately. Not disrespecting the devs, its hard to test and they have a lot going on. Let us help them.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:10 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadetree [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Not disrespecting the devs, its hard to test and they have a lot going on. Let us help them.
good point to reiterate ^

there's only a handful of active devs lately, and everquest is a pretty big world. the devs testing their own content is probably pretty much an insurmountable task when you take into account that they also have real life obligations on top of their dev work.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:11 PM
Fire Giant

proposal teams 99 server
Closed Thread