Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 10:24 AM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogean [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The only picture I have of mine, coincidentally playing EQ while at work. It runs pretty good. Asus G50VT

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Lol that looks identical to mine. Got mine at Best-Buy for 1250 two years ago when Asus started getting more into the laptop market.

Edit: Have you happened to find a way to disable that annoying pre-boot splash screen that makes the midi explosion noise?
Last edited by internalprime8; 09-08-2010 at 10:28 AM..
Old 09-08-2010, 12:06 PM
Sarnak

I know desktops are more bang for the buck in terms of performance but I'm a student and currently unable to carry around a desktop year after year, apartment to apartment, on the airplane, etc.

The laptop at the link I provided seems like the best possible bang for the buck. I guess i'm asking if anybody can find a better price/performance ratio then this?
Old 09-08-2010, 01:01 PM
Orc

I absolutely LOVE my Asus G72. Look into it. Bestbuy carries them in stock. I walked out with mine for 1200$ with the year accidental insurance. If I drop it and break it, I simply get a new one, or they fix it if they can.

Without the warranty it'll be around 1050 I think. Comes with a 1 year manufacturer's warranty.

It'll run anything I have thrown at it so far at max graphics without the slightest lag. you know.. stuff like.. Diablo 2, everquest, doom, duke nukem. all the really graphic intensive games! lol, jokes here. I wish I had Crysis to check it. The laptop stays at a decent temperature when you're not utilizing much of the graphics end. When you start playing games, it'll get pretty warm. As far as battery life... about an hour - hour and a half gaming.. 2 1/2 hours not gaming. I keep mine plugged in 90% of the time.
Old 09-08-2010, 01:06 PM
Orc

Also, another thing i loved. Walmart sells a laptop bag that will hold this laptop. I couldn't find one anywhere else around. Bestbuy sold the laptop, but didn't have a bag to fit it.. Silly people.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:58 AM
Aviak

Wanted to add here I was lucky and managed to find a used Asus g51vx-rx05 on ebay for $500. All it needed was the audio pcb header replaced which cost me $20 to get and replace it my self. Now I have a pretty sweet 15" laptop that can game pretty well.

Asus g51vx-rx05 specs:
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0ghz
4gigs of DDR2 800
GeForce GTX260M w 1gig of GDDR3
320gb SATA HDD
15.4" 1366 X 768 screen

Also the other nice thing about this laptop is you can upgrade it to a Core 2 Quad and also get the 15.4" WUXGA 1920 X 1080 screen for it. Cost for upgrades would be about $300.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:02 AM
Aviak

"Gaming" and "laptop" do not belong in the same sentence. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 09-09-2010, 11:54 PM
Large Bat

I've got an Acer, I picked it up off Newegg for 750$, Its got 4gigs, intel duel core processor 2.1ghz, nvidia 130M, 15.6" screen... When I was picking it out I wanted something that would be able to run games *okay* and 750 was a good deal to me, I'd say it could probably run 6 instances of EQ pretty easily(I box on another server).

It runs WoW too very well, I don't really play any crazy games that require a crazy pc =d

Although, my PC I built back in february is:

8gigs @ 1760 Mhz
3.52GHz AMD Phenom II quad core processor
velociraptor 10k RPM HD
radeon HD 5770 1gig card
pretty case with lots of fans and a 700W PS

I can run like .. 14 EQ instances on this PC without any lag what-so-ever, so, I love it [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.], Oh, and that cost me about 1050ish to build from Newegg.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:42 PM
Planar Protector

i been taking a hard look at the

Asus Republic of Gamers G73Jh myself. With a few accessories my current laptop has become a full desktop replacement...but it's time for another.

dunno if that's hi for yer range tho...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirken View Post
if your reason to be here is to ruin other peoples experiences and grief them off the server, then not only do you not deserve the privilege of playing here, but i will remove your ability to do so.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:56 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humerox [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
i been taking a hard look at the

Asus Republic of Gamers G73Jh myself. With a few accessories my current laptop has become a full desktop replacement...but it's time for another.

dunno if that's hi for yer range tho...
Similar to the G72. 2 gigs more of ram, 500gig more storage, and twice the core for about 400 more than the G72. not a bad find
Old 09-13-2010, 08:07 PM
Kobold

I have a Asus g73jh that is what I am using right now, the laptop is epic, plays all games on full or little under. THE ONLY THING I can say that was a pity was no back up discs ( have to spend 4 hours of your own time doing it ) AND the 10.8 catlyst drivers...they are horrible for GSOD (Grey screen of death) after days of trolling forums I found a fix, U have to update your Bios and Vbios then the catalyst..no more GSOD no more crashing. As far as this thing heating up...no it doesn't if you noticed the back end raised up about a inch ...that is because the cooling system in this thing is one of a kind with big fans. IMO it is a great buy just don't update the graphics drivers from stock untill u update the BIOS and VBIOS. Also, make sure your getting the 1900x1200 resolution, they have one that has 1600x something and u don't want it. I got a 26 inch 1080p monitor hooked up to it via HDMI and for it being able to unplug and go somewhere while also play every single game out on the market smoothly with high end graphics I wouldn't go back to a desktop thats why they call these desktop replacments =D
Last edited by aggresor223; 09-13-2010 at 08:10 PM..
Closed Thread