Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 03:02 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tork [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
For classic, monk+druid (thorns, root, travel) is roughly on par with monk+shaman (slow, regen, canni).

Either combination would be fun for both players, and would be able to level up on a wide range of content.
Utterly wrong. Shaman is vastly better than druids when duoed with a monk. Slow is ridiculously OP in kunark/velious. Combine that with heals, torpor, cannabalize, bind wound, haste, root cc, and a melee class that can dish damage and take it, and you got one mean combo.

No doubt shaman > druid when grouped with a monk.
Old 09-05-2010, 03:24 AM
Fire Giant

Shaman, no question.
Old 09-05-2010, 03:27 AM
Kobold

I don't recall mentioning RoK or SoV.
Old 09-05-2010, 06:39 AM
Sarnak

Just to throw fuel on the fire, snare is somewhat valuable to a monk. Aggrokiting. That being said, aggrokiting gives the dru or necro very little time to med. But you can fear animals, or necro fear, or intimidation, to fear kite with a monk.

This is more for a change of pace - a - I wanna play a fun/easy duo outdoors with low death risk.

You still won't be killing as fast as shaman/monk, due to lack of haste/buffs/pet and the unshakable mana supply that is canni-bind wound; and your piss-poor dungeon skills.

But the SERIOUS discussion on here makes me think ya'll have never tried canni-bind wound in a monk/shaman duo.
Old 09-05-2010, 03:18 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyogburn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The reason shamans and monks go so well together is synergy. No, druids and clerics dont work as well as shamans, ever. Theres no downtime due to canni and regen. Monk single pulls. Shaman buffs/heals. Monk BWs shaman when he gets low from canni. It just works.
Hours upon hours of personal experience both on live and on this server as a L50 monk in classic disagree with you. Come Kunark, yes shaman are the superior duo partner. I however stand by the fact that both clerics and druids can be equally as strong duo partners in classic (NOT RoK / SoV).
Old 09-07-2010, 06:26 PM
Skeleton

Any thoughts on what could be added to the Shaman/Monk combo as far as a third toon? I'm focusing on a caster type class ENC, WIZ, NEC, MAGE preferably.
Old 09-07-2010, 06:50 PM
Kobold

druids the best due to hp/ac/speed/thorns/heals/ports. Its the smarter choice. The power of thorns is ridiculous at low levels. Im sure post 35, a shaman is better though.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:29 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loke [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hours upon hours of personal experience both on live and on this server as a L50 monk in classic disagree with you. Come Kunark, yes shaman are the superior duo partner. I however stand by the fact that both clerics and druids can be equally as strong duo partners in classic (NOT RoK / SoV).
You can be my wingman anytime

Swishahouse Swishablast
Luminary of 57 Spirits
Junglist
Bard of 16 Anthems
Pokeball Flinger
Old 09-08-2010, 08:32 AM
Sarnak

Shaman/monk isn't necessarily what levels the fastest, but it's among the fastest, and it's probably the most flexible and dependable duo. You don't have to be outdoors, you don't have to rely on kiting, and you aren't restricted to some risky mechanic like charm. Two necros might kill mobs faster, and cleric/enchanter might have the potential to take on harder named spawns, but neither of these will have the ability to go just about anywhere and level or farm items while having answers to almost every possible scenario. Shaman/monk just has the optimal combination of damage output, tanking and survivability, sustainability, and risk/downtime minimalization. They're not necessarily the best at each of them, but unlike any other combination, they have enough of each to make almost anything possible.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:28 AM
Orc

Back in the original EQ I remember a husband and wife duo who were both monks. They were essentially a fantastic pulling team. They could split any camp with ease and no waiting around either. They were always together and were great dps. In fact the group I was in had me (as a bard) for the tank since mobs died so quick in lguk or solb. They also never died since both had FD... no getting upset that someone didn't do something right and caused the other to die. Heck our group used a druid for snare/dps and a cleric for heals/dps and we just took on everything.
Closed Thread