Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 10:57 AM
Large Rat

Default New monk gear question

I finally got my client working a couple days ago and ive been leveling my monk and so far its been going great, the server has a great community (right after starting an awesome druid walked by and handed me a trance stick).

Ive been scrapping my spare change together and I am wondering what I should be looking for:

Is cured silk worth buying? Is it better to just try and farm mesh pieces for upper guk (Also how hard is that to do/what lvl would I need to be?)

I would like to get another 1hb, should I be looking for another trance stick or is a cane of harmony a better option? Would I be better off sticking with trance stick/fist combo and saving for something like a knuckle duster?

Are there any cheap 2hb options for keeping the skill up while I level?

Im a while away from this but also do people actually group in Dalnir's? I like the idea of farming the crescent armor set but from what I remember of the zone its a ghost town and id have to solo it.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:04 AM
Sarnak

Dalnir is rarely done. When it is attempted its usually a trainwreck of a group. While the armor is nice from there it'll be hard to acquire unless you find help in some way.

For cheap 2hb, Wu's Quivering Staff shouldn't be too expensive and its actually the best weapon for leveling for new monks that can't afford anything better. I don't think it can be beat outside really expensive weapons until the 40s, but you'd be better off refering to the monk spreadsheet in the Melee Forum section.

For armor, if you're an Iksar you can do the curscale quests, the wiki will tell you what you need to save yourself and eventually save money to buy pieces as you pass through EC for traveling.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:27 PM
Large Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juhstin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Dalnir is rarely done. When it is attempted its usually a trainwreck of a group. While the armor is nice from there it'll be hard to acquire unless you find help in some way.

For cheap 2hb, Wu's Quivering Staff shouldn't be too expensive and its actually the best weapon for leveling for new monks that can't afford anything better. I don't think it can be beat outside really expensive weapons until the 40s, but you'd be better off refering to the monk spreadsheet in the Melee Forum section.

For armor, if you're an Iksar you can do the curscale quests, the wiki will tell you what you need to save yourself and eventually save money to buy pieces as you pass through EC for traveling.
Thanks for the reply

Curscale would be great but I went human (I lvl'd an iksar Sk/Necro/BST on live and wanted a change of pace). Is cured silk my next best option( currently 99% wearing cloth armor)?
Old 02-24-2014, 05:06 PM
Planar Protector

Raw/cured silk should last you into your 30s. Just grab a cheap Wu's and a pair of trance sticks (so you can keep your 1hb up to par, or 1 trance and use a fist to keep both up) then get a pair of 5ac/55hp rings. If you're grouping you won't really need anything else and 30-50 you'll be able to start gearing up from the dungeons you're fighting and also just getting better random loots that you can use to buy upgrades.

Don't be afraid to loot along with anyone else. The AC penalty isn't going to affect you noticably until much later.

Edit: Always carry Shurikens. You will be asked to pull. Get a reputation as a competent puller & no one will give 2craps about your gear.

Baalzy - 57 Gnocro, Baalz - 36 Ikscro, Adra - 51 Hileric, Fatbag Ofcrap - 25 halfuid

Red99
Baalz Less - Humger, Baalzy - Ikscro

If MMORPG players were around when God said, "Let there be light" they'd have called the light gay, and plunged the universe back into darkness by squatting their nutsacks over it.
Picture courtesy of azeth
Old 02-24-2014, 07:06 PM
Sarnak

Some tips:

- Use 1hb over Wu's quivering until 20 when the damage cap gets removed.
- Buy 45hp/4ac Rings before your 55hp/5ac. They are roughly 25% of the price of 80% of the effectiveness, and can always be resold.
- Wu's is a great cheap source of AC.
- Save all your skill points for Feign Death / Mend.
Old 03-05-2014, 02:05 AM
Large Rat

I managed to get to the mid 20's so far, i got 2 trance sticks and 2x 5 ac 55hp rings (I had to lvl a druid to camp nybrights to save up enough). The pulling mechanics on this server are great compared to what i was used to so im getting a good reputation for pulling dungeons and getting xp groups hasnt been hard. I have had trouble getting any kind of cash saved up on my monk it seems like he barely makes enough plat to cover his cost of knives/bandages/food. Does this get better in the 30s/40s? Im trying to loot whenever i can but its just never worth much.

Given that any plat i can make will be slow coming and hard earned is there something specific i should save for now? Would i be best off saving for an fbss or something that im going to get the best mileage possible out of even though it means i wont get any other upgrades for some time? Or should i look at getting better weapons?
Old 03-05-2014, 09:06 AM
Kobold

Wu's Quivering Staff is hands down the best item you can get for the money and will last you into your 50's when you can buy an IFS. Sell one of the trance sticks for it, you don't need two, just keep one around for skilling.

Some good, cheap items to aim for:
Foreman's tunic
Thick Leather Apron
Obsidian Bead Hoops
Sarnak Hide Mask
Azure Sleeves
Fine Silk Turban
Symbol of Loyalty to Vox (If Human)
Electrum Bracelet if not

All of these items are between 50-150p

Honestly, I would do what the above poster mentioned. Sell the 5/55 rings, buy 4/45 rings, and use the extra 250-300p to buy other items. You will get far more bang for your buck.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:30 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazbonez [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I managed to get to the mid 20's so far, i got 2 trance sticks and 2x 5 ac 55hp rings (I had to lvl a druid to camp nybrights to save up enough). The pulling mechanics on this server are great compared to what i was used to so im getting a good reputation for pulling dungeons and getting xp groups hasnt been hard. I have had trouble getting any kind of cash saved up on my monk it seems like he barely makes enough plat to cover his cost of knives/bandages/food. Does this get better in the 30s/40s? Im trying to loot whenever i can but its just never worth much.

Given that any plat i can make will be slow coming and hard earned is there something specific i should save for now? Would i be best off saving for an fbss or something that im going to get the best mileage possible out of even though it means i wont get any other upgrades for some time? Or should i look at getting better weapons?
As you get higher level mobs will start to drop 1-5 platinum in raw coin each death and will have FS weapons (4-6p each) a lot of the time. Additionally you can start soloing the couple gargoyles near pond in mistmoore now that you're mid 20's which have a chance at dropping eyes which NPC for 9p each.

Edit: You may also consider riding the boat out to gargoyle island in OoT (double check the lvl of the gargs before doing this, but I think with a Wu's quivering and plenty of bandages you can stay there for a good while and build up some decent platinum piles).

Baalzy - 57 Gnocro, Baalz - 36 Ikscro, Adra - 51 Hileric, Fatbag Ofcrap - 25 halfuid

Red99
Baalz Less - Humger, Baalzy - Ikscro

If MMORPG players were around when God said, "Let there be light" they'd have called the light gay, and plunged the universe back into darkness by squatting their nutsacks over it.
Picture courtesy of azeth
Old 03-05-2014, 04:48 PM
Planar Protector

Couple pieces of advice:

1. Your primary job as a monk is pulling. In a good group, you will be spending >50% of your time running around tagging mobs with your shuriken. Mostly this is a skill thing: knowing where the mobs spawn, splitting camps (your comment on the pulling mechanics is a bit off; FD memory kicks in at L35-40ish or so). So monk gear isn't so amazingly important compared to, say, a warrior.

2. The primary gear for pulls is resist gear. You're going to eat a lot of spells, period. When I pull with Raev I swap in my Shield of Rainbow Hues (and always bug the cleric/shaman for full resist buffs) and rock 130+ on all resists. It makes a huge difference. That is probably a little out of your price range, but you can check the wiki (just go to monk equipment and sort by resist) and try to figure out some stuff. MR is most important, than FR/CR.

3. The best way to get better gear is to level up. Hitting 50+ and joining a guild and getting the sky sash (21% haste and some stats, super easy), Shiverback (decent stats, +STR), epic (easy enough), and so on. At higher level you can also start to hit up cash camps. As stated Wu's Quivering Staff is fantastic, and you can even pick up something like the Adamantite Club / Stave of Shielding for like 12k, which is basically as good as it gets until a Wu's Fist of Mastery (not for sale, really, or 500k ish maybe). 12K sounds like a lot, but once you hit 50+ and start doing Seb/HS/KC things will work out.
in words of anal fingers, just a filthy spaniard
Closed Thread