Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 09:04 AM
Kobold

As the ease of acquiring a certain item goes up, the price that consumers are willing to pay for it goes down. The higher the price of an item, the more suppliers are willing to sell it. Eventually the two, the supply curve and the demand curve, meet together in a place called the "supply/demand equilibrium", which is that exact point between the price and the quantity of the item.

(Someone took economics last semester for the first time.)

Next question: What is money? Usually it's a representation of one portion of an entire country's wealth. The more of the money that's printed, the less it's worth, because whether there are 100 dollars in the entire country or 3 trillion, each dollar is just a reciprocal portion of the country's entire wealth. If you pictured stuffing all of these new dollars into a giant garbage bag that just keeps stretching, you see how the term "inflation" comes around. The more money there is in circulation, the bigger the garbage bag, the more it inflates, and the less each piece of money is worth. So how does that translate to platz?

Every time you kill A_Decaying_Skeleton_01 and get your 1 copper/1 bone chip drop, you just increased inflation and decreased the value of all of the money out there, including your 1 copper and the 5 gold you were hoping to get for that bone chip someday in EC /auc. Also, this is why petitioning for free plat doesn't work; "HEy rogean gimme 400k lol" is like saying "Please devalue all of the platinum ingame, and since you're giving me 400k give everyone 400k which would make plat even less valuable, meaning that people would want even more of it, so they're going to raise the prices on things even more"

Game developers have to put "money sinks" into the game, just like they have to put in time sinks to keep top-level players from feeling like there's nothing to do, getting bored, and moving on to the next "next-gen" MMO around the corner. Time sinks are things like fear drops, repeatable quests, Kael armor quests, and sometimes too true: corpse runs. Money sinks are food and drink, JBoots (The 3500g part), epic quests that require a few hundred plat, skills trainin, and spell scrolls.

The conflict starts when you have a maximum-level character. They don't need money anymore, yet they keep acquiring it. If you played your level 60 and farmed blackburrow all day, all you would do is loot and never die and make barbs and humans cry. You are the 1%. All of that money you're getting from selling rusty weapons, and only taking breaks to destroy those useless stacks of gnoll fangs, is just piling up and creating more inflation and raising prices(directly and indirectly) of the high-demand items.

Whose interest is it in to have such a gap? No one really, except for real money traders. This is the only exchange rate possible in our closed economic system; it's not like humans use one currency, Iksar another, and Elves another. We all use platinum. But then there are some rich assholes who are too entitled, even when playing a game like classic-era EQ, to go through the grind like all of the other peasants out there. Platinum now becomes the commodity sold by the gold farmer, and by increasing inflation in-game they create more of a demand for platinum which means they can sell it for more dollars. The higher the price, the more that suppliers are willing to supply it, right?

TL; DR: Inflation, which favors real-money trade. Supply/demand economics, which creates a strained middle-class. Do your duty to fight it all by not buying overpriced crap, and by undercutting all of those half-AFK half-bots in the tunnel.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:05 AM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecmos Deception [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Getting pretty hard to not troll this thread. You seemed legitimately curious/confused originally, but now you just seem like you're veiling begging attempts and/or whines about the economy behind higher-level philosphical/economic mumbo jumbo.
Sorry. I meant that no it shouldn't be that the SCD should sell for 2k, I'm saying that it should stay the way it is. Wasn't clear.

Think what you will. I am curious and a little confused, but the confusion is clearing the more I see what people have to say.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:07 AM
Sarnak

Stembolt gets it!
Old 01-30-2014, 09:13 AM
Orc

Ya so pretty much there isn't really anyone who is poor on p99. Thanks myxomatosii and Sarajo, as well as everyone else who has participated.

It seems to me that the amount of money that comes into the economy is vastly larger than the money that leaves via money sinks. Original EQ IMO didn't have a whole bunch of money sinks, compared to other MMO's now.

Do you think this is a problem for p99? Maybe the people in charge should invent new money sinks?
Old 01-30-2014, 09:20 AM
Orc

Vanity items maybe? Like items that cast an illusion on yourself? Make it something super crazy prices like 500k for that one item that turns you into a werewolf or whatever.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:23 AM
Sarnak

Wouldn't be a classic server then.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:23 AM
Planar Protector

Sarajo

You are forgetting it isn't just the plat that becomes worth less. More and more items enter the economy, probably at a rate faster than they are destroyed, and like the plat the abundance of these devalues them (see the trance stick example).

I suppose this leads to an interesting situation where some items are devaluing faster than plat, where as other hard to acquire items might devalue more slowly than platinum.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:25 AM
Sarnak

Actually the prices here are pretty much on part with what I remember on live at this point in history, granted I was on the server with guilds like Conquest but I suppose everyone has their big guild equivalent on their old server. But quite honestly it seems pretty normal to me.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:25 AM
Fire Giant

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulpher01 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Stembolt gets it!
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by KwwBall [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ya so pretty much there isn't really anyone who is poor on p99. Thanks myxomatosii and Sarajo, as well as everyone else who has participated.

It seems to me that the amount of money that comes into the economy is vastly larger than the money that leaves via money sinks. Original EQ IMO didn't have a whole bunch of money sinks, compared to other MMO's now.

Do you think this is a problem for p99? Maybe the people in charge should invent new money sinks?
This is brought up maybe once a month in various incarnations, polls, & RnF discussions but there hasn't been much commentary from the staff. They have a lot to think about so most of us don't really worry. Also the people it impacts typically keep playing, get rich, and stop bringing it up [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Glad I could help. I thought my suggestion made sense and in my experience its been the case. You should be glad you have something to aspire to really, the multi-tiered system and impossibility of 'being the best' makes it feel like there is always something more to do. And with the variation and difficulty of all the dungeons, there is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KwwBall [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Vanity items maybe? Like items that cast an illusion on yourself? Make it something super crazy prices like 500k for that one item that turns you into a werewolf or whatever.
If you can come up with a suggestion to fix the system, post it by all means. Some might mock you a bit only because they've seen it posted 100x but ignore them and listen to the helpful people. If your idea holds water it'll stay around (if the GMs entertain it).
Old 01-30-2014, 09:27 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajkuhuun [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Actually the prices here are pretty much on part with what I remember on live at this point in history, granted I was on the server with guilds like Conquest but I suppose everyone has their big guild equivalent on their old server. But quite honestly it seems pretty normal to me.
If you remember 100k fungis and 130k+ torpor, etc., then we obviously played EQ in alternate realities.
Closed Thread