Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 10:14 PM
Large Bat

Default Does any other server come close to P99?

Hiya folks,

I just recently heard about P99 and got completely bummed that I hadn't heard about it sooner. No other game on the market has offered me anything close to my EQ experience. I began on VZ upon server creation. At any rate I'm stoked. However, I so want to introduce my children to EQ thought it would be great fun to run around as a family playing. It seems like the IP exemption situation starts you off "guilty" as a multi-boxer. Reading the threads and myself agreeing that boxing ruins the game, I can't help but suspect that P99 admins arent overly ready to hand out mutiple character abilities on the same IP. This long story short. Is there another server that holds a candle to P99? I know that the population won't be there. I'm just looking for as close to classic as possible. I see TZVZ or whatever but have read nothing but horrible things about it .. Any others ??
Thanks so much for your Input

Hmedyc D' Toxic <Ogre Shaman> Vallon Zek
Kyppe <Barb Rogue> Vallon Zek
Old 08-27-2010, 10:19 PM
Sarnak

This is the only other option I know of, and it's not even close to coming out yet: http://www.eqclassic.org/index.php
Old 08-27-2010, 10:28 PM
Planar Protector

I would just get an IP exemption. You might have to wait a week or so for it to go through, but P99's pretty rockin'. Don't really see the big deal.
Old 08-27-2010, 10:39 PM
Skeleton

If u seek something close to classic ... i dont see anyone ... there was dawn of norrath that was classic with 3 box allowed .. but its not online anymore.

PEQ autorize boxing but its not classic ... the server is at LDON explansion with some GOD zone that are in.

Its trying to be like live ... but the effort have been put more in PoP expansion, not in classic zone coding.
Last edited by Maidikament; 08-28-2010 at 12:14 AM..
Old 08-27-2010, 11:15 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

There's nothing else that's even close. The database work alone to get as far as '99 has is tremendous (even working from AX Classic), and nobody else I've seen on eqemu is even taking a stab at the coding to make 'classic' happen.

Request the exemption, the wait will be worth it.
Old 08-28-2010, 12:46 AM
Banned

If you want true classic play, P99 is the way to go. I'm assuming that by being here that's what you're looking for, but I'll share some experiences with other emu servers.

Most of the other popular servers are of the "custom" type, and generally have gear similar to what you'd find on live a few expansions ago. There's a lot more reward vs. time and you end up accomplishing more with your playtime.

The first that should be mentioned is Shards of Dalaya. This server is the oldest to still be around, and has its own login (google Shards of Dalaya). This is as close to "custom classic" as you will get, and features the most talented and robust development team of any other server out there. I'm sorry, but P99 doesn't even come close to some of the changes they've implemented. It would take absolutely forever to go over everything that's different there, so its best to just check it out. Entirely custom lore, world (using stock zones but connected differently), mechanics (treasure map system, reactive procs, tons more), and class balance. Gear progression is much more gradual than you'll find on other custom servers, with high end gear reaching about Time / GoD level. You're allowed to two box if you wish. The problem with the server is that everyone is well established. Once you reach max level (65) you hit a wall. Not much worthwhile can be duoed. AAs take forever to grind. And you'll need the gear + tons of AAs to even be considered to join a decent guild. If you don't have powerful friends, or a lot of fortitude to grind your way to raiding level, you'll get bored. If this was the state of EQ when WoW was released, that game would have crashed and burned.

Next I'll mention only because it's my favorite is Stormhaven. Second best devs across EQEmu. Contains the only raid designs that could compare to SoD. I haven't raided on SoD in awhile but the raids there were highly creative but still had that Velious / Luclin philosophy of straight forward, simple mechanics, only imagined way better than Verant/Sony ever did in that time. However, Stormhaven has incredible scripting on some of their events that could rival WoW. This server is a blast, however you'll once again hit a wall where you can't really progress any further. You can 3 box on this server, and that may get you past Temple of Solusek Ro, but when you get into real raiding (Dreadspire) you're screwed. I had a lot of fun on this server because we started about a year and a half ago when the population was much higher with about 10-12 other friends. If you have the manpower, the server is absolutely amazing. Unfortunately the population has dropped significantly, and I believe your only option to seeing raid content is joining Sigil, the top guild who I assume has whatever the last raid zone is on lock now. Not a fun way to experience the server. If I ever saw a group of people wanting to start a guild there and raid their way up, I'd jump at the opportunity, so much interesting content, but you need others. The game bled players and never really gained them back due to this restraint.

Next mention is EZ Server, due to its popularity (300-500 players, which is about what SoD sees). I don't have a lot of experience with this server because the design philosophy is not my thing. The difference between EZ and Stormhaven, and why EZ has such a higher population, is that it is grind-based instead of skill/raid-based. Boxing is unlimited, and you could technically beat most/all of the content with your own 6 box group. The challenge to the server is less figuring out and defeating raid contents like good ol' EverQuest and more grinding from 1 to max level 100 times (not a joke, there's a ring that upgrades every time you relevel and you'll want a maxed one). All of the server's progression works this way, spend weeks grinding drops or levels to get enough gear to beat bosses and get better gear, repeat. Class balance is pretty horrible and there's only a handful of worthwhile classes (Warrior, Paladin, Cleric, Ranger, Monk).

The Hidden Forest is similar to Stormhaven but has its own unique set of problems: donator gear. The absolute best items for every slot in the game aren't earned by grinding or raiding, but by paying $$$. It's a great custom server, and you can have lots of fun until that warrior with full donator gear joins your group and doubles your rogue's dps. Itemization is also really really weird and by that I mean bad. Class balance ain't great either. But there's toooons of pretty decent content so this server may be fun if you have deep pockets.

VZTZ is the "classic PVP server." Although classic purists may be bothered by some elements that are indeed custom, like including some class's Luclin spells and not others for example. This server used to be great, until recent management took over. I'd say avoid since I can't imagine even the most diehard pvp fan willing to put up with the amount of mismanagement that goes on over there.

Anything else isn't really worth your time, imo. Blood of the Akkadian is new and bleeding players, but is a decent server if you just want to waste some time soloing. There's a storyline and a theme progression that's set up pretty well for interesting solo play, but once you get to 70+ the server becomes "lol what is this shit." I got a couple weapons from a new zone and they were altered, I shit you not, at least a dozen times over a couple weeks while the developers were trying to figure out how to balance them. Pretty entertaining server, especially if you're a masochist.
Old 08-28-2010, 02:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiker [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you want true classic play, P99 is the way to go. I'm assuming that by being here that's what you're looking for, but I'll share some experiences with other emu servers.

Most of the other popular servers are of the "custom" type, and generally have gear similar to what you'd find on live a few expansions ago. There's a lot more reward vs. time and you end up accomplishing more with your playtime.

The first that should be mentioned is Shards of Dalaya. This server is the oldest to still be around, and has its own login (google Shards of Dalaya). This is as close to "custom classic" as you will get, and features the most talented and robust development team of any other server out there. I'm sorry, but P99 doesn't even come close to some of the changes they've implemented. It would take absolutely forever to go over everything that's different there, so its best to just check it out. Entirely custom lore, world (using stock zones but connected differently), mechanics (treasure map system, reactive procs, tons more), and class balance. Gear progression is much more gradual than you'll find on other custom servers, with high end gear reaching about Time / GoD level. You're allowed to two box if you wish. The problem with the server is that everyone is well established. Once you reach max level (65) you hit a wall. Not much worthwhile can be duoed. AAs take forever to grind. And you'll need the gear + tons of AAs to even be considered to join a decent guild. If you don't have powerful friends, or a lot of fortitude to grind your way to raiding level, you'll get bored. If this was the state of EQ when WoW was released, that game would have crashed and burned.

Next I'll mention only because it's my favorite is Stormhaven. Second best devs across EQEmu. Contains the only raid designs that could compare to SoD. I haven't raided on SoD in awhile but the raids there were highly creative but still had that Velious / Luclin philosophy of straight forward, simple mechanics, only imagined way better than Verant/Sony ever did in that time. However, Stormhaven has incredible scripting on some of their events that could rival WoW. This server is a blast, however you'll once again hit a wall where you can't really progress any further. You can 3 box on this server, and that may get you past Temple of Solusek Ro, but when you get into real raiding (Dreadspire) you're screwed. I had a lot of fun on this server because we started about a year and a half ago when the population was much higher with about 10-12 other friends. If you have the manpower, the server is absolutely amazing. Unfortunately the population has dropped significantly, and I believe your only option to seeing raid content is joining Sigil, the top guild who I assume has whatever the last raid zone is on lock now. Not a fun way to experience the server. If I ever saw a group of people wanting to start a guild there and raid their way up, I'd jump at the opportunity, so much interesting content, but you need others. The game bled players and never really gained them back due to this restraint.

Next mention is EZ Server, due to its popularity (300-500 players, which is about what SoD sees). I don't have a lot of experience with this server because the design philosophy is not my thing. The difference between EZ and Stormhaven, and why EZ has such a higher population, is that it is grind-based instead of skill/raid-based. Boxing is unlimited, and you could technically beat most/all of the content with your own 6 box group. The challenge to the server is less figuring out and defeating raid contents like good ol' EverQuest and more grinding from 1 to max level 100 times (not a joke, there's a ring that upgrades every time you relevel and you'll want a maxed one). All of the server's progression works this way, spend weeks grinding drops or levels to get enough gear to beat bosses and get better gear, repeat. Class balance is pretty horrible and there's only a handful of worthwhile classes (Warrior, Paladin, Cleric, Ranger, Monk).

The Hidden Forest is similar to Stormhaven but has its own unique set of problems: donator gear. The absolute best items for every slot in the game aren't earned by grinding or raiding, but by paying $$$. It's a great custom server, and you can have lots of fun until that warrior with full donator gear joins your group and doubles your rogue's dps. Itemization is also really really weird and by that I mean bad. Class balance ain't great either. But there's toooons of pretty decent content so this server may be fun if you have deep pockets.

VZTZ is the "classic PVP server." Although classic purists may be bothered by some elements that are indeed custom, like including some class's Luclin spells and not others for example. This server used to be great, until recent management took over. I'd say avoid since I can't imagine even the most diehard pvp fan willing to put up with the amount of mismanagement that goes on over there.

Anything else isn't really worth your time, imo. Blood of the Akkadian is new and bleeding players, but is a decent server if you just want to waste some time soloing. There's a storyline and a theme progression that's set up pretty well for interesting solo play, but once you get to 70+ the server becomes "lol what is this shit." I got a couple weapons from a new zone and they were altered, I shit you not, at least a dozen times over a couple weeks while the developers were trying to figure out how to balance them. Pretty entertaining server, especially if you're a masochist.
You know everything about eq
Old 08-28-2010, 02:49 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by HippoNipple [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You know everything about eq
you know everything about knowing everything about eq
Old 08-28-2010, 06:10 AM
Fire Giant

I second Reiker's notions on Storm Haven. Trev did a *great* job on that server and that place got me back into EQ long enough to find EQC and eventually p1999beta. Starting a 3box on Storm Haven is a pretty fun way to kill a couple days if you get sick of the grind on here and want a change of pace.

Another place that did a pretty good job (and a fun way to dry-run kunark) was gnomish proving grounds. I had a lot of fun on there, although i'm not even sure it still exists.

But no question, no matter the whining and moaning we do on these boards, this server is where it's at for as close to a 1999 EQ experience as you'll find. Snoop around, you'll like what you see. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uthgaard View Post
Most of the people with bad experiences with me hang out in R&F, shocking, looks like I'm doing something right.
Old 08-28-2010, 09:33 AM
Kobold

Irreverent is a fun server; similar to PEQ except the mobs are tweaked to make them easier to solo.
Closed Thread