Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 05:59 AM
Kobold

Default Vanguard Saga of heroes

Anyone ever play this or still play it? I never had a go but wondering if its worth taking a look.
Old 10-05-2013, 09:37 AM
Fire Giant

Haven't played it in a few years but I highly doubt it's gotten any better.
Another one of SOE's ghost town MMOs

IMO the best non-p99 MMO is FFXIV
Old 10-05-2013, 11:29 AM
Planar Protector

If you play anything SOE, play Planetside 2 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 10-05-2013, 07:36 PM
Kobold

Shame Vanguard is dead. From what I heard it had a rushed and buggy release that put alot of people off but it was actually in concept the true inheritor to EQ1. If no one plays I guess its not worth the effort. As for planetside it looks good for what it is, but im not really into shoot em ups!
Old 10-05-2013, 07:50 PM
Planar Protector

Supposedly the game is amazing now, but they totally jacked up their launch (I played in beta and ~6 months after launch)..... so its dead forever.
Old 10-06-2013, 11:32 AM
Sarnak

When Vanguard launched its F2P, there was a huge spike in population, but since then it's dwindled. A few months back, there was a group of P99'ers who had a guild to explore the game. Vanguard is a game that is much more fun to play with a consistent group.

That being said, it is a phenomenal game with a huge world to explore. It can feel a bit empty if you aren't near a popular leveling zone, but it's worth exploring and experiencing. It's failure was truly a great loss. Vanguard was truly the heir to EQ.
Old 10-07-2013, 02:23 PM
Sarnak

I played at F2P launch, and chunk crashing that kept ruining my crafting WOs (three nights in a row) pissed me off so bad that I quit at like...level 19.

I just fired it up again this week, having fun again. This time instead of bothering with crafting though (my goal was to make my own armor since most quest rewards weren't F2P-usable), I'll either just sub or buy unlockers. I still have some station cash left over from EQ.

It just seems whenever the game gets even a little bit of attention, all sorts of bugs and crashing and stability issues come back, which is a shame. F2P launch was really the last hope for the game, and they botched it.

I still recommend the game for people who have never even tried it. If you like EQ, you'll probably love it, provided you get a stable experience. Just realize that yes, there are the boring WoW-style bear ass quests, but you can easily ignore than and just level in the huge amount of awesome dungeons that the game has. Also has excellent classes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilbog View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruman View Post
Leapfrogging is a dick move. It's not about "rules" or "ZOMG IT HAPPENED ON MY SERVER ITS FAIR".
Truth.
Old 10-07-2013, 03:45 PM
Kobold

Went and tried it a couple months ago. I played for a week, didn't see another player and have not gone back since.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:39 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you play anything SOE, play Planetside 2 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
No more scifi mmo's please...

anyway vanguard was great but there is no playerbase, if you get to max level there are a couple of guilds that do stuff but you have to solo to the end which is hard depending on your class. Think of getting to endgame in eq with no groups or other players, fine for a necro/shaman/druid. nearly impossible for a war rog etc

Oh yea .... Piss Off.

H
Old 10-10-2013, 09:05 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhambuk [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
No more scifi mmo's please...

anyway vanguard was great but there is no playerbase, if you get to max level there are a couple of guilds that do stuff but you have to solo to the end which is hard depending on your class. Think of getting to endgame in eq with no groups or other players, fine for a necro/shaman/druid. nearly impossible for a war rog etc
Pretty much this.

I have to say, Vanguard was my favorite MMO outside of EQ, and would have beaten out EQ had it been working and not full of bugs and exploits back when people actually played it. Its an amazing game today, but because of the failed launch nothing they could possibly do will revive it. Just the way the industry works.

Everything from the graphics to the music and world look and feel amazing. The classes in Vanguard are like EQ on steroids. By far the best classes ever seen in an MMO hands down (loved my disciple). As far as the way it plays and looks, its actually stood the test of time better than any game 7 years after launch. If Vanguard launched brand new today in its current state, it would be a hit as it was way before its time (would shit all over ffxiv).

All the servers have been merged, including the resent merge of the EU and US server. There are enough people playing to find groups if you just want to experience it, but for a game that feels so grand, its disappointingly barren.