PDA

View Full Version : Basic UI Functions Green Won’t Have

uygi
10-08-2019, 12:24 PM
So what are the UI functions that Green won’t have? You know, all those basic things that I’ve taken for granted for years?

Tab targeting- I guess this is out for a while, but are F7/F8 targeting in at launch?
Using buttons during casting - Is it that no buttons (except socials) work during casting?
Will ducking spells work?

People that are really into these things should skool me. Feel free to denigrate my ignorance. I’m trying to prepare myself for a trip to the past.

loramin
10-08-2019, 12:36 PM
I doubt you'll get good answers.

The short answer is that Green will be as classic as they can make it. In theory everything you can find "being added" in the patch notes (or any other classic evidence) won't be on Green at launch.

In practice though, there's both stuff that the devs can't fix (eg. stamina), and stuff that wouldn't be worth the trouble (eg. if something is majorly different at launch, and then fixed to be normal soon after, it's just not worth the devs' time ... look at old school Infected Paw, which everyone wants but may not appear on Green, for this very reason).

So we know what we have now, and we know what the devs want (pure classic), but the gray area in-between, which is determined by "what is viable for Nilbog (and Haynar and the rest)" is unknown ... and likely will continue to be until Green's launch or some sort of major pre-launch announcement.

YendorLootmonkey
10-08-2019, 12:59 PM
So what are the UI functions that Green won’t have? You know, all those basic things that I’ve taken for granted for years?

Duct tape will still work. ;)

Lojik
10-08-2019, 01:03 PM
Dumb question, but was /target in at launch? I also thought you had to have LoS to use it as well.

pink grapefruit
10-08-2019, 01:17 PM
Ducking probably won't interrupt spells, as it didn't on red server launch.

The one change that really might keep me from playing is if they enforce one chat window for everything.

uygi
10-08-2019, 02:40 PM
I assumed ducking wouldn’t work at launch, but wasn’t sure how cooperative the Titanium client would be. Obviously that got figured out many years ago, I never played red.

<3 you Yendor.

YendorLootmonkey
10-08-2019, 03:04 PM
Tee hee :)

Jibartik
10-08-2019, 03:18 PM
The one change that really might keep me from playing is if they enforce one chat window for everything.

Unless some wildly crazy thing happens we will have multiple chat windows.

You might only have 6 hotbuttons though until velious :p

No blue EXP bars.

These are some of the minor inconveniences we may be able to expect that I know of that are UI related. :o

But everything is hypothetical until it is reality I figure :D

pink grapefruit
10-08-2019, 03:20 PM
Unless some wildly crazy thing happens we will have multiple chat windows.

You might only have 6 hotbuttons though until velious :p

No blue EXP bars.

These are some of the minor inconveniences we may be able to expect that I know of that are UI related. :o

But everything is hypothetical until it is reality I figure :D

glad we have a man on the inside here. good job jib, keep up the good work <3333

Jibartik
10-08-2019, 03:27 PM
Your classic UI is loading...

https://i.imgur.com/YMQM4zT.gif

:D

Baler
10-08-2019, 04:27 PM
Your classic UI is loading...

https://i.imgur.com/YMQM4zT.gif

:D

Nice
:o
https://i.imgur.com/A5MlXw3.gif

Jibartik
10-08-2019, 04:28 PM
lol

Ripp
10-08-2019, 04:34 PM
Erm, does that mean we have to stare at the book to meditate or do we at least get to look outside?

Tecmos Deception
10-08-2019, 06:03 PM
Erm, does that mean we have to stare at the book to meditate or do we at least get to look outside?

You have to have the spellbook open, but unless you still play at 640x480, that's not really a big deal.

Rogean showed youtube footage of a blacked out screen besides the spellbook any time you med, but specifically said that wouldn't be how it would work and showed a 1080 screenshot where the spellbook takes up like 15% of the screen.

SAD!

edit - i mean, you could still see your chat window back the day. It wasn't THAT bad to only see your spellbook. We have netflix and hulu and amazon prime these days, people. Who the hell needs to watch orcs and giant beetles and ghouls patrolling in the distance while you med in a safe spot?

loramin
10-08-2019, 06:05 PM
SAD!

I think this one falls into the "they would have if they could have" category ... but even so, me too :(

Tecmos Deception
10-08-2019, 06:09 PM
I think this one falls into the "they would have if they could have" category ... but even so, me too :(

They literally could have. Rogean showed that it was working with a client in a video. I don't mind because of the fact that I don't really tend to watch shit on my screen anyway while I'm medding; that's when I troll R&F or read the wiki or wander off to do something else irl. With my chanters I was just staring at a blank wall in a dungeon somewhere for 5-10 minutes, ya know? Oh no. If i had to stare at my spellbook that'd be gamebreaking!

loramin
10-08-2019, 06:15 PM
They literally could have. Rogean showed that it was working with a client in a video. I don't mind because of the fact that I don't really tend to watch shit on my screen anyway while I'm medding; that's when I troll R&F or read the wiki or wander off to do something else irl. With my chanters I was just staring at a blank wall in a dungeon somewhere for 5-10 minutes, ya know? Oh no. If i had to stare at my spellbook that'd be gamebreaking!

I thought the solution he showed (which I didn't see firsthand) could be resized, which meant that ultimately it would only affect the people who didn't know how to work around it?

Tecmos Deception
10-08-2019, 06:24 PM
I thought the solution he showed (which I didn't see firsthand) could be resized, which meant that ultimately it would only affect the people who didn't know how to work around it?

Ah. Maybe. I thought there was a full black screen with just the spellbook visible. Maybe I missed some of the details in the thread.

Forced minimum resolutions, anyone? Haha.

uygi
10-08-2019, 06:36 PM
I got a good one, how about CTRL-click for a single item out of a stack and shit-click for a whole stack? Def wasn't in at release, I forget when it was added.

Jibartik
10-08-2019, 08:41 PM
I got a good one, how about CTRL-click for a single item out of a stack and shit-click for a whole stack? Def wasn't in at release, I forget when it was added.

I am working on classic quantity windows right now :D

I am not removing the click functionality because that is out of my wheelhouse, but hey if it were removed then you'll have to look at these beautiful classic quantity windows so, I aint against this haha dont click the spoiler.. wait for green :D

https://i.imgur.com/6Px5BAw.png

kaev
10-09-2019, 04:03 AM

They didn't have quantity either at release, you had to buy one item at a time. I remember setting up my fletching kit at the top of inventory and just staying in the vendor: buy the four parts one at a time then click combine then drop from cursor into an open bag, rinse, repeat at nauseum.

Hey, and don't forget only two bags open at once and no opening of bags while they're in the bank!

loramin
10-09-2019, 10:54 AM
Hey, and don't forget only two bags open at once and no opening of bags while they're in the bank!

Rygar has been fighting for that one for a long time now. But will Titanium allow it?

uygi
10-09-2019, 11:00 AM
They didn't have quantity either at release, you had to buy one item at a time. I remember setting up my fletching kit at the top of inventory and just staying in the vendor: buy the four parts one at a time then click combine then drop from cursor into an open bag, rinse, repeat at nauseum.

Yes, at vendor, but they always had stacks and quantity selection in inventory. The early trick was to get your spit/sewing kit or whatever open and top slot, then buy items so they land in it so you don't have to click around as much when doing 100+ combines. It's such a basic feature of the game, and so totally given and required by the time Titanium came out, I don't know if you can turn it off. Maybe they can prevent the client from recognizing CTRL and shift combo clicks with vendor open? Who knows. One way that P99 isn't classic is that I no longer have any desire to tradeskill like I did in 1999.

loramin
10-09-2019, 11:08 AM
One way that P99 isn't classic is that I no longer have any desire to tradeskill like I did in 1999.

Yeah but that's more a player knowledge issue right? Tradeskills being terrible is 100% classic ... it's just that we didn't know any better (or we just didn't care) back then.

And I say this speaking as an absolute tradeskill addict on live. EQ Traders was probably the only site I read as much as the Shaman's Crucible.

uygi
10-09-2019, 05:19 PM
I guess player knowledge is sort of the reason... I know what comes next, and I know that I want it. But I'm different because I care about levels and gear now, and I just didn't much in 1999. I thought tradeskills were fun and cool on Live. I think it has more to do with how much time I have and how valuable it is to me. Back then I didn't care if I sat there for an hour getting carpal tunnel, the stuff I could make and the achievement of doing it was its own reward.

I think a lot of it is that back then, I wasn't concerned about levels and gear. During beta I found the Freeport tunnels on my own and I thought that was the coolest shit ever. I remember the first time I explored the back of Steamfont, thought that was super cool too. And the first time I wandered up to chessboard in BBM? Dude that was awesome.

loramin
10-09-2019, 05:23 PM
And the first time I wandered up to chessboard in BBM? Dude that was awesome.

:) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V93rRHnZSu0

Deathrydar
10-09-2019, 05:42 PM
:) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V93rRHnZSu0

I wish that guy released a new video every week!

sciception
10-09-2019, 06:52 PM
The king isn't in double check in the Plane of Mischief.

Bazia
10-09-2019, 07:02 PM
is item linking in? we should be having to look in peoples bags (2 at a time) in the tunnel to see the items descriptions