Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 09:40 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Default necros Vs mage?

Which are the better soloers? Ive heard Necros due to their dots, and then Ive heard mages due to their nukes and pets...opinions?
Old 05-06-2012, 10:16 PM
Planar Protector

those reasons have nothing to do with soloing. necros are better imo because they have more utility like FD. necros also get a snare and fear and can mez/lull undead. mages lack cc except for earth pet root. Mage pets do outrageous dmg so you also have to worry about getting hit with the pet xp penalty if you are not careful. i dont play either so dont take this info as scripture.

fd= feign death
cc= crowd control (survivability)
Old 05-07-2012, 04:21 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

You might sacrifice a little bit of speed if you pick a necro, but like Samwise said, nothing in the game can replace Feign death when soloing. Combine this with a decent pet, some consistent damage and i wouldn't look back after picking a necro if those are your criterias.

http://shardsofdalaya.com/fomelo/fom...p?char=jadelia
In-Game name is Zodiakk, Wood elf ranger
Old 05-07-2012, 08:27 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

right on, thanks for the replies. I find myself soloing mostly so I was hoping to get a class that can solo the most efficiently.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:20 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Necro is hand down the best solo class. Some people like druids instead but again, the ability to split camps with feign death surpasses the big heals.

http://shardsofdalaya.com/fomelo/fom...p?char=jadelia
In-Game name is Zodiakk, Wood elf ranger
Old 07-16-2012, 09:59 AM
Skeleton

mages cant really kite, cant fear kite, cant aggro kite
Old 07-16-2012, 12:44 PM
Sarnak

Technically, Mages can "kite" through their pets damage shield when you define kiting as keeping the mob at a distance from your character.

But I agree that they lack the solo utility that a necro does.

I played a mage and find that they are more group friendly. People loving having damage shields and pet toys. CotH makes a happy Cypt / seb group especially when your healer needs to leave and your replacement is at the entrance. I also solo'd 1 to 53. Then, once you get 55 (Dyzil's Deafening Decoy) then you can solo to 60 easily.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:32 PM
Aviak

Pre pet Xp nerf I'd say mage hands down, most anything you want to solo your fire pet can just handle it. 1-50 I only ever cast my level 1 DD once per mob.

But now... Necro. Especially with all the open areas in kunark to kite in, undead everywhere.
Old 07-16-2012, 05:07 PM
Sarnak

I agree. Post-pet exp nerf, lower level mages have a big disavantage. However, Dyzil's Deafening Decoy (55) is a pretty cool spell that basically re-invents the glory of the 49 Fire pet. Now the problem is, pets no long instantaneously cast their damage shield. Since it can take 1 to 20 seconds, chaining fire pets is a moot art.

Magi can kill almost anything single with the earth pet, it's just slow as balls.
Old 08-04-2012, 04:27 PM
Sarnak

Best over all solo class, Necro, if u can get ur hands on all there spells at the level u can start using them. Necro can play small roles in groups aswell, Snaring mobs like a ranger, druid, and SK can, can still dps even OOM (with their pets) and at later levels help recover from a wipe by FDing and rezzing the cleric to make the recovery. On the final plus side, they can heal themselfs and have a form of Mana regen (at higher levels) without the need of a Chanter offering it....VS mage they dont match up to well from the teens to 50s until mages can get there spells, damage shield and 1.0 epic meaning ALOT of play time and being with the right crew to help...
Closed Thread