Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 10:16 PM
Sarnak

Default Enchanters and Charm/Kill Soloing!

Charm/kill soloing is my fave way to grind it out alone as an ENC. Truly the best with the Charms L39+ and with over 200 CHA, it is a solid way to level with little risk if you do it smartly! Find a potential pet that is several levels lower than you and Tash it, then pull it to a safe spot and charm it. You may want to root or mez it before charming, since you prolly won't have enough time between the mob coming into casting range and the casting time required by your higher level charms. Tell it to stay while you find a playmate!

Pull another mob that is very close in level and HP/damage potential to your charmed pet, ideally another instance of the same mob, root it in your camping area, and have the two duke it out until they are both very low on health. Cockatrices outside of Karnor's Castle are very good targets in your L40's, and you may try the higher level side of the Overthere. You might want to get some distance from the fight while you med in case Charm or Root breaks. When either mob is a little lower than 20% HP (hopefully, both will be very low on HP at this time), re-root the enemy mob and call your pet back from combat. Cast invis on yourself (or if you are a dark elf, use Hide) to break the Charm, then kill your ex-pet with a nuke and afterwards dispatch with the enemy mob. Doing this allows you to get full XP from both creatures, since if your pet does more than 50% of the damage to a target, it will eat a hefty amount of XP, however if you kill it first it won't be around to take the XP from you!

My typical spellset for this kind of work is Tash, Nuke, Charm, Invisibility, Color stun, Mez (current level), Mez (level 4), and Root. The L4 Mez is very useful to use if you need to recharm your pet if it breaks before you are ready, since the L4 Mez only lasts 24 seconds. If you don't want to bother with L4 Mez, perhaps a lower mana-costing nuke to finish a mob that only has a sliver of HP left?

The only buffs necessary for charm/kill soloing are Clarity and +CHA. I also like to have up Shielding as well as Rune for an additional HP buffer incase of snafu. Raise some hell!!
Old 04-27-2012, 11:23 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermicelli [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Charm/kill soloing is my fave way to grind it out alone as an ENC. Truly the best with the Charms L39+ and with over 200 CHA, it is a solid way to level with little risk if you do it smartly! Find a potential pet that is several levels lower than you and Tash it, then pull it to a safe spot and charm it. You may want to root or mez it before charming, since you prolly won't have enough time between the mob coming into casting range and the casting time required by your higher level charms. Tell it to stay while you find a playmate!

Pull another mob that is very close in level and HP/damage potential to your charmed pet, ideally another instance of the same mob, root it in your camping area, and have the two duke it out until they are both very low on health. Cockatrices outside of Karnor's Castle are very good targets in your L40's, and you may try the higher level side of the Overthere. You might want to get some distance from the fight while you med in case Charm or Root breaks. When either mob is a little lower than 20% HP (hopefully, both will be very low on HP at this time), re-root the enemy mob and call your pet back from combat. Cast invis on yourself (or if you are a dark elf, use Hide) to break the Charm, then kill your ex-pet with a nuke and afterwards dispatch with the enemy mob. Doing this allows you to get full XP from both creatures, since if your pet does more than 50% of the damage to a target, it will eat a hefty amount of XP, however if you kill it first it won't be around to take the XP from you!

My typical spellset for this kind of work is Tash, Nuke, Charm, Invisibility, Color stun, Mez (current level), Mez (level 4), and Root. The L4 Mez is very useful to use if you need to recharm your pet if it breaks before you are ready, since the L4 Mez only lasts 24 seconds. If you don't want to bother with L4 Mez, perhaps a lower mana-costing nuke to finish a mob that only has a sliver of HP left?

The only buffs necessary for charm/kill soloing are Clarity and +CHA. I also like to have up Shielding as well as Rune for an additional HP buffer incase of snafu. Raise some hell!!
As long as you are killing melee mobs that don't summon outdoors, Charm is really pretty safe and a great way to grind levels easily. The above method will work pretty well. Dungeons get a little bit more interesting but most of it is just knowing the exact locations and pathing of all the mobs.

I would only add: go buy/farm that Goblin Gazughi Ring! As an enchanter most of your good equipment is nodrop planar gear anyway, except for the really high end stuff. You'll get a lot more mileage out of instant charm break than any +stats item, esp once you have full insidious gear.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:35 AM
Aviak

So just to be clear you do get full xp on the pet kill even tho your doing a small % of damage and the creature who did most the damage is still up? Does a non-pet npc not take any xp?
Old 05-24-2012, 04:16 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
break the Charm, then kill your ex-pet with a nuke and afterwards dispatch with the enemy mob. Doing this allows you to get full XP from both creatures, since if your pet does more than 50% of the damage to a target, it will eat a hefty amount of XP, however if you kill it first it won't be around to take the XP from you!
After you break your charm, kill the mob you previously had as a pet before you kill the other one. If you kill the other mob before you kill your ex-pet, you will not get full credit for your half-assed job =)
Old 05-24-2012, 05:14 PM
Aviak

Cool, just wanted to make sure I was understanding properly...thanks!
Old 05-31-2012, 11:50 AM
Fire Giant

whats the lowest lvl chanters can start charming effectivly like this I read some ench lvling guide that said pretty much at 12 start doin it on mobs at the wiz plat in nro and then move to crocs in oasis.
Old 06-01-2012, 12:14 AM
Aviak

I started at 12 with no problems...at 14 the sisters camp in lfay is great for charm solo. You can pull 2 at a time so it works prefect, and the plat is unreal for the level.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:49 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezek [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I started at 12 with no problems...at 14 the sisters camp in lfay is great for charm solo. You can pull 2 at a time so it works prefect, and the plat is unreal for the level.
thanks for the advice =)
4 more lvls to go ^^
now if only i can find somone to sell a gazughi ring
Old 06-05-2012, 03:19 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezek [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I didn't start till 29 and it was a little iffy with charm breaks even then, IMO. It wasn't until I hit 34 and got the new Charisma buff that I was able to break 200 CHA with my charming gear set. Once over 200, breaks were much less frequent.

Incidentally, before 29 I played like hybrid of a Wizard and a Mage. I would throw my pet (animation) in but I would nuke repeatedly to ensure more damage than pet (and to save mane from having to "heal" him with (Berzerker Strength). This nuking strategy required a lot of running for distance (JBoots a tremendous help) and also rooting.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:15 AM
Aviak

I just tried this and it seemed to work... memory blur enemy mob when its under, let it regen 1 tick of hp, and nuke it. Ur pet gets no exp u get 100%. amirite?
Closed Thread