Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 07:36 AM
Aviak

Default Mage pet questions.

I've always wondered, what are each of the Mages pets good for? As far back as I can remember I've only ever seen and heard of Mages using the Fire pet for dps in groups and soloing, and the Air pet if tanking a mob was more important that killing it quickly (due to high dodge + stun proc making it actually take less damage than the Earth pet while hitting for more).

Is this even remotely accurate? Do the Water and Earth pets literally have no role? If someone could give me a rundown on when/when not to use certain pets and what they're good for I'd be greatful.

Another thing is, while using the search feature to see if this had been asked before, I found a thread talking about pet aggro being complete garbage (things like the player hitting the mob once for 1 damage, then backing off and having the pet hit the mob 3 times and ostensibly taunt twice and yet STILL not pull aggro off the player). Is this still true? Thanks in advance.
Old 07-02-2011, 09:07 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidus [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Another thing is, while using the search feature to see if this had been asked before, I found a thread talking about pet aggro being complete garbage (things like the player hitting the mob once for 1 damage, then backing off and having the pet hit the mob 3 times and ostensibly taunt twice and yet STILL not pull aggro off the player). Is this still true? Thanks in advance.
I can't answer your question about mage pets, but I can confirm that this is, indeed, true. I was on my necromancer earlier (level 5, but still...) and I MISSED with a melee attack, decided to back off when the mob smacked me, and literally my pet could NOT pull the monster off me no matter how far I backed up. Even though my pet did actual damage and taunted.

I haven't played my mage in weeks though; haven't cared to because of the pet aggro issues. :/
Odinty Treeguard - Level 58 Druid (Level 9)
Vmek Shadowsong - Level 51 Bard (Level 5)
Odibin Deathbearer - Level 36 Necromancer (Level 13)
Old 07-02-2011, 10:29 AM
Planar Protector

I was playing on my shaman yesterday and pet aggro seemed to be working fine. I would pull a dark blue monster with a high-level slow, which is a lot of aggro, then sic the pet on it. The monster would run to me, I would melee it to about 3/4 health while the pet also attacked it. Then I would back up and the monster would stay with my pet. Keep in mind that this is a shaman pet, which is lower level than a mage pet and doesn't have special abilities; I didn't even give it two weapons.
Need a port or a rez? Hit me up on IRC!
Old 07-02-2011, 11:51 AM
Kobold

Pet aggro is not that broken. It's wonky, but is not nearly as bad as what's being described in this thread. Every time I want to engage I have to stab the mob as an Enc, and yet I have no problems with my pet not grabbing aggro, and I don't think I had this issue at lower lvl either. Would've been a bit crippling to have mobs beat on me that much for every engage, which certainly didn't happen.

My lvl 13 Necro's pet doesn't seem to have a problem either.

As they ground to make XP holy . . . let us twink to make it free; our EQ marches on!
Old 07-02-2011, 01:43 PM
Planar Protector

Earth pet is good for breaking a camp because it will last longer than any other pet. In actual classic EQ it was necessary for soloing in some places where monsters would flee and create trains (dungeons most especially), but on p1999 monsters aren't actually fleeing like they should be and thus the Earth pet's root isn't as useful.

Water pet is good for holding a high-spawn/quick-spawn camp after it is broken because it regens health faster than any other pet and thus can keep up with the spawns the best. Although, at the higher levels this will start to not hold true because chain-summoning the Fire pet will become better often times. Water pet is also nearly immune to poison, so it's good for fighting things that have a strong poison attack.

Fire pet is what you want to use when soloing whenever possible because of the fatty damage shield it has. It's good for grouping in many situations too (especially at lower/mid levels) because you can still off-tank extra monsters and quickly kill them with the fire pet.

Air pet is generally best for grouping at higher levels because the stun is more useful to a group than the other targeted abilities the other pets use. It's also the only targeted ability of the pets that won't break another player's root. If you are in a dungeon that has weird pathing issues, the air pet is also good because it will go invisible and not create trains (if all of the monsters can't see invis anyway).
Old 07-02-2011, 02:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuranthium [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Air pet is generally best for grouping at higher levels because the stun is more useful to a group than the other targeted abilities the other pets use. It's also the only targeted ability of the pets that won't break another player's root. If you are in a dungeon that has weird pathing issues, the air pet is also good because it will go invisible and not create trains (if all of the monsters can't see invis anyway).
At level 50+ the air pet's stun will also cause dd and will break roots.

The water pet at 50+ has the highest possible DPS because it is a rogue with backstab, but this is situational and most tanks don't even goddamn bother positioning themselves. Especially warriors, who suck.
Old 07-02-2011, 02:47 PM
Planar Protector

I always flip a mob's back to the group [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 07-02-2011, 05:04 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuranthium [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Earth pet is good for breaking a camp because it will last longer than any other pet. In actual classic EQ it was necessary for soloing in some places where monsters would flee and create trains (dungeons most especially), but on p1999 monsters aren't actually fleeing like they should be and thus the Earth pet's root isn't as useful.

Water pet is good for holding a high-spawn/quick-spawn camp after it is broken because it regens health faster than any other pet and thus can keep up with the spawns the best. Although, at the higher levels this will start to not hold true because chain-summoning the Fire pet will become better often times. Water pet is also nearly immune to poison, so it's good for fighting things that have a strong poison attack.

Fire pet is what you want to use when soloing whenever possible because of the fatty damage shield it has. It's good for grouping in many situations too (especially at lower/mid levels) because you can still off-tank extra monsters and quickly kill them with the fire pet.

Thank you , this is exactly what I was looking for.
Old 07-02-2011, 05:39 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taryth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Pet aggro is not that broken. It's wonky, but is not nearly as bad as what's being described in this thread. Every time I want to engage I have to stab the mob as an Enc, and yet I have no problems with my pet not grabbing aggro, and I don't think I had this issue at lower lvl either. Would've been a bit crippling to have mobs beat on me that much for every engage, which certainly didn't happen.

My lvl 13 Necro's pet doesn't seem to have a problem either.
I pray that you guys are right. My Mage (8), Necro (5) and Enchanter (3) all have issues with pet aggro, so hopefully it's something only present in the lower levels. It's especially noticeable with the Enchanter because I need to poke something with my dagger to get the pet in, but since stabbing a spiderling for 1 damage myself, then having my pet taunt twice and hit for about 8 damage total can't pull aggro, there's something wonky and inconsistent going on.

But you guys are both using higher levels so...
Odinty Treeguard - Level 58 Druid (Level 9)
Vmek Shadowsong - Level 51 Bard (Level 5)
Odibin Deathbearer - Level 36 Necromancer (Level 13)
Old 07-03-2011, 01:21 PM
Aviak

What about Pets and XP? I seem to recall something from the original EQ that pets got XP?
Closed Thread