Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 10:35 AM
Sarnak

Default New Monk

Hey all just wanted to get opinions on what would be the best bet for twinking a monk. I'm not rich enough to afford anything like a Fungi, but I have about 7.5k to use on a new monk. I'm just getting bored with my mage right now and would like to do something other than play a caster. Would my best bet be to just use the majority of it on a FBSS and then get like cured silk and maybe a couple wu's staffs? Or should I just focus on HP rings, and stat gear and some better weapons? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 05-28-2015, 11:03 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halius [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hey all just wanted to get opinions on what would be the best bet for twinking a monk. I'm not rich enough to afford anything like a Fungi, but I have about 7.5k to use on a new monk. I'm just getting bored with my mage right now and would like to do something other than play a caster. Would my best bet be to just use the majority of it on a FBSS and then get like cured silk and maybe a couple wu's staffs? Or should I just focus on HP rings, and stat gear and some better weapons? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Personally id get him
2 55hp ac rings (450pp)
Knuckle duster (300pp)
Wus trance staff (100)
Set of cured silk (90pp)
And lastly a wus quivering staff for when your 20+ (100pp)
Sell your knuckle and trance at 20 for the same you spent and buy your FBSS cuz by then you should have enough [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Also noones gonna argue getting a fbss right away is a bad choice
Old 05-28-2015, 05:49 PM
Fire Giant

Haste, decent weps and magic gloves are the best things you can buy for a new monk. I'd spend the cash like this:

6500 FBSS
500 Pair of 5ac/55hp rings
200 Pair of Wu's Trance Sticks
100p Set of Cured Silk
50p Wu's Fighting Gaunlets
50p Pair of Golden Jaded Bracelets
10p Pair of Alligator Tooth Earrings
10p Collar of Undead Protection

And use the last 80p to port your monk to and from EC.

Zentile
Old 05-29-2015, 08:22 AM
Sarnak

Both of these are really good suggestions.

FBSS should be a priority if you can get it.
x2 5ac 55hp rings
Full set of cured silk for the weight and AC.
They seem to be hard to find but look for x2 Cane of Harmony's instead of the Wu's. Same price but has good stats to help offset the lack of stats that Cured Silk doesn't have.
Last edited by Roguejm11; 05-29-2015 at 08:25 AM..
Old 06-02-2015, 03:24 PM
Aviak

As soon as you're at the proper level to have the damage cap removed completely (30 or 35, I think?) I'd look into getting an Imbued Fighters Staff, and dropping the trance sticks completely. I've been using a Quivering Staff since about level 18 (the damage sucked, but it was affordable), and my damage has done nothing but gone up. My 2hb has remained relevant, and I'll be looking to get a Fighters Staff soon, hopefully (currently level 37).
Old 06-02-2015, 05:04 PM
Kobold

Large Soiled Bag
55 Hp Rings
Silk Turban
Wolf Eye Bracers
Glowing Collar
Foreman Tunic
Split Paw Mask
Griffon Talon Gloves
Cured Silk everywhere else

Trance stick 1-20(you don't even need an offhand cuz your dual wield is too terrible to matter)
20-30 Quivering Staff

At 30 farm the rest of FBSS in HHK then Imbued Fighter Staff
At 45 or 50 sell IBS and buy a Adamantite Club and Stave of Shielding
50+ fill all your garbage slots in EC or with Crescent then work on epic

extra pro tip: camp raster at 44 for good xp and epic piece then do the same in solb at 47ish.
Old 06-02-2015, 05:38 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zentile [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Haste, decent weps and magic gloves are the best things you can buy for a new monk. I'd spend the cash like this:

6500 FBSS
500 Pair of 5ac/55hp rings
200 Pair of Wu's Trance Sticks
100p Set of Cured Silk
50p Wu's Fighting Gaunlets
50p Pair of Golden Jaded Bracelets
10p Pair of Alligator Tooth Earrings
10p Collar of Undead Protection

And use the last 80p to port your monk to and from EC.

Zentile
This is the correct answer. Haste + decent weapons are your biggest priority. Next big priority is raw HP gear, then resists, then AC, then raw stats.

You could level a monk fairly far with just haste + good weapons and 5/55 rings.
Old 06-04-2015, 08:49 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyclin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is the correct answer. Haste + decent weapons are your biggest priority. Next big priority is raw HP gear, then resists, then AC, then raw stats.

You could level a monk fairly far with just haste + good weapons and 5/55 rings.
Agree. FBSS and wus quivering staff is all you need. 1h's like cane of harmony or trance sticks before level 10 but after level 10 i'd use the 2h. Beyond that doesn't matter much, but you could get 55 hp rings, dwarven work boots, vanity item like robe of dalnir, etc. the p1999 wiki is great for picking out gear when searching by each slot.
Old 06-04-2015, 10:01 AM
Sarnak

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I haven't been able to find anyone to sell an FBSS for less than 7.5k and no one has budged on that price. So I just went with some decent stat gear, 5/55 rings, wu's staffs and quivering staff for later levels. Now I'm just chilling in TT hoping to get a kind soul to let me loot a hangman's noose. Only 4% less haste than an FBSS and hopefully will cost me nothing plus the added bonus of 5ac.
Old 06-04-2015, 10:03 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halius [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I haven't been able to find anyone to sell an FBSS for less than 7.5k and no one has budged on that price. So I just went with some decent stat gear, 5/55 rings, wu's staffs and quivering staff for later levels. Now I'm just chilling in TT hoping to get a kind soul to let me loot a hangman's noose. Only 4% less haste than an FBSS and hopefully will cost me nothing plus the added bonus of 5ac.
Come to red. FBSS is 4k
Closed Thread