Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > Bugs

Old 09-29-2010, 11:24 AM
Orc

Default Issues with charmed pets

When charming an NPC even in the original days I was able to press F1 twice to select my pet. This helps immensely in buffing the pet if you pull two mobs at a time with charm.

The second issue is target nearest npc is grabbing charmed pets as well, and once they are charmed they should no longer be treated like an NPC and should be flagged as your pet. If you pull a mob with charm and try to use select nearest npc to send the pet in you are just as likely to target you pet and get beat on.

The third issue is that the charmed pet does not default to guard mode. Or maybe he does and they just don't react when I am getting beat on. But the default behavior was that you charm the mob, the other hits you and your charmed pet jumps right in without hitting pet attack.

Each issue by itself isn't that bad but if you're mainly charming in your group it can cause some difficulties.
Old 09-29-2010, 12:03 PM
Planar Protector

^^ great points, particularly the cycle npc issue

I enchant things...
Old 09-29-2010, 12:04 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karnek [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
When charming an NPC even in the original days I was able to press F1 twice to select my pet. This helps immensely in buffing the pet if you pull two mobs at a time with charm.

The second issue is target nearest npc is grabbing charmed pets as well, and once they are charmed they should no longer be treated like an NPC and should be flagged as your pet. If you pull a mob with charm and try to use select nearest npc to send the pet in you are just as likely to target you pet and get beat on.
I agree that this is an minor inconvience, although the way I get around this is that I rebound my tab key to shuffle through nearby mobs. I just tab until I get the one I'm after. Generally very quick, lose a half second tops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karnek [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The third issue is that the charmed pet does not default to guard mode. Or maybe he does and they just don't react when I am getting beat on. But the default behavior was that you charm the mob, the other hits you and your charmed pet jumps right in without hitting pet attack.
It still is, and should be for you too. The moment you are attacked your pet should attack what hit you. Been here since February, and have never seen otherwise.
Old 09-29-2010, 12:05 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawqueue [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I agree that this is an minor inconvience, although the way I get around this is that I rebound my tab key to shuffle through nearby mobs. I just tab until I get the one I'm after. Generally very quick, lose a half second tops.
I do the same thing. Basically using the tab key like that is useful for all classes.

Unrelated but another command that comes in very handy is /rt.
It targets the last person to send you a tell. great for buffing on raids, etc.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:33 AM
Orc

I tested charm a bit more last night and I must have been wrong about my third point as my pet did indeed attack a target that AE'd me. I'll keep messing with it to see if maybe it just happened due to me recharming something. The pet not being targeted through does make things really annoying if you're using charm as your main form of CC or have someone else in the group charming as well.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:56 AM
Planar Protector

Another issue i think i remember seeing was if i entered a zone where someone had a charmed pet. I couldn't cycle through npc to target it (both whilst charmed and uncharmed) which was a bit of an inconvenience. Obviously upon zoning in and it being charmed my client considers it a pet and doesn't consider it an npc, so when charm breaks it still thinks it's not an npc, therefore can't target it with F8 / cycle npc. I have to go oldskool and click my mouse [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I enchant things...
Old 10-05-2010, 08:27 AM
Orc

So I learned a bit more about targeting the pet using function keys. When I have an NPC charmed apparently my group members can hit their function keys to target the NPC like any normal pet, but I can't as the person who charmed it.

The target thing affects more than just the enchanter though. The SK in my group last night was getting upset that he couldn't target a non-charmed mob because he kept getting my 'pet'. I explained the use of cycle NPC but it just seems like its one more thing for people to complain about when I use charm.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:38 AM
Orc

I think I figured out the problem with the charmed pets not attacking when something attacks me. On live I recall that when you charm something, if the npc swings at you it will cause the charmed pet to attack. But on P99 you actually have to be HIT for the pet to jump in. I wish I had an active account to test this with, but essentially enchanters summoned pets behave the same way here.
Last edited by Karnek; 10-06-2010 at 11:33 AM..
Old 10-06-2010, 11:46 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
I think I figured out the problem with the charmed pets not attacking when something attacks me. On live I recall that when you charm something, if the npc swings at you it will cause the charmed pet to attack. But on P99 you actually have to be HIT for the pet to jump in. I wish I had an active account to test this with, but essentially enchanters summoned pets behave the same way here.
I've noticed this difference also.

In classic if you were attacked, your pet jumped in. Here your pet does nothing until you are actually hit.

This is true for both charmed pets and summoned pets.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:22 AM
Orc

Charm also seems to behave pretty wacky with debuffs/dots applied to you. Things like strong disease don't get taken off you when charm lands but other things/debuffs do. Although charm probably deserves its own thread.