Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 09-06-2023, 06:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by azeth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm pretty bored of the same thing to be honest with you. The girlboss superhero stories are all forced to rely on magic or superpowers. I'm probably an outlier when I say, I fucking hate superhero movies and TV shows. So anytime this type of character presents itself in the type of stuff I watch, it just makes my brain bleed from how illogical it is.

For clarification, I'm not referring to like Ted lasso's boss being a badass woman CEO. I'm talking about literally fight scenes, I cannot handle seeing another woman beat up a man. I think it's happened three times in the history of the universe, it's just not how we're built
100%

There’s believable ways to show girls beating men up, I think Linda hamilton’s breakout from the mental institution in T2 was a FANTASTIC one. She relies on ambushes and smart utilization of weapons around her to make up for her size and strength disadvantage

And the actress Emily Blunt said it perfectly:

““It’s the worst thing ever when you open a script and read the words ‘strong female lead,'” Blunt told The Telegraph. “That makes me roll my eyes. I’m already out. I’m bored.”

She added, “Those roles are written as incredibly stoic, you spend the whole time acting tough and saying tough things.””

Modern female leads are perfect without training, and so stoic and strong so as to not give the actor any actual range to act. Also makes them completely unrelateable to the audience

Look at even Linda Hamilton from T2 again. Strong, stoic, kick ass, but falls on her butt crying like a little girl when she sees her nightmare come to life, the original Terminator walking up to her (before she realized it’s a good guy this time). Perfectly relateable to even the strongest of women. Also cries and breaks down when she almost killed that scientist who made Skynet in front of his family
Old 09-06-2023, 06:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooloo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

And yeah state pushed misinformation *is* worse because the state has the power to set policy. Random uncle hector doesn't.
Maybe, but if random uncle hector says something to his family to make one of them who needed a vaxx to survive covid not get it and die, he just cost a life

If he pushes it online, depending on his reach, it could cause more problems. There’s only, what, 6 degrees of separation between most of us in the country once we factor in our network of people we know and can reach online?
Old 09-06-2023, 06:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsunghero [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Maybe, but if random uncle hector says something to his family to make one of them who needed a vaxx to survive covid not get it and die, he just cost a life

If he pushes it online, depending on his reach, it could cause more problems. There’s only, what, 6 degrees of separation between most of us in the country once we factor in our network of people we know and can reach online?
Well yeah he only said that it's *worse*. Not that disinformation among the uncle hectors doesn't have it's own problems.
Old 09-06-2023, 06:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooloo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Well yeah he only said that it's *worse*. Not that disinformation among the uncle hectors doesn't have it's own problems.
I had a different interpretation of it. I interpreted it as the misinformation from conspiracy theorists was less outlandish than that from gov’t. And like I said, with one having no oversight and literally no ceiling, and the other not, it seemed like an obvious wrong to me. But maybe that was just my misinterpretation

He also at one point said no one under the age of 65 who has had covid should get a vaxx. That’s not nearly as bad as saying no one under the age of 65 should get a vaxx, to me that would be crazy. Because that’s assuming that no person under 65 has a compromised immune system due to either their shit lifestyle and/or other genetic factors

But I guess he’s assuming “well if they survived covid once, they’ll for sure survive it again”. And while I do agree that I bet covid antibodies are better than vaxx antibodies, even that statement I am skeptical about
Old 09-06-2023, 06:32 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Botten has links to show that retarded idiots don't like vinay prasad. He can link to all of them!

Meanwhile: https://scholar.google.com/citations...wk0AAAAJ&hl=en

And yeah state pushed misinformation *is* worse because the state has the power to set policy. Random uncle hector doesn't.
Dr. Fauci’s scholarly accomplishments makes him look like a god compared to that quack’s credentials. Yet you complain about Fauci every second you can because he made your Orange man look stupid.

Hmmmm why would you praise a quack like Vinay Prasad pushing misinformation for crazy ideologies then complain about state and government agencies looking to protect their citizens?

Oh that’s right you trust your uninformed grifting podcast hosts over anything sane. Want to by a cellular service that donates to causes you are against :rolleyes

Ridiculous

At what point do you step back Baler and figure out your kinfolk taught you hateful wrong information that you never question.
Last edited by Botten; 09-06-2023 at 06:36 PM..
Old 09-06-2023, 06:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsunghero [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ya it’s a growing sentiment

People get bored of stuff. Sort of like how the guaranteed success of superhero stories is now completely gone

Imagine, if you will, if almost every commercial on tv, movie, and tv show, had every thief and villain portrayed by a black guy

People would eventually be like
I see the sometimes hamfisted attempts at representation as abiding by the supposed laws of supply and demand. Marketing, writing, whatever.

Sometimes it works, such as the Spider-Verse movies. Loathe as I am to like a superhero movie, they found a way to make it broadly appealing. Good writing.

Sometimes it doesn't, like when Anheuser-Busch misread the fuck out of their customer base. I don't know how that one slipped past any of them, you could go to any given beach in Florida in the last fifty years and figure that one out. Bad writing.
Old 09-06-2023, 06:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
I had a different interpretation of it. I interpreted it as the misinformation from conspiracy theorists was less outlandish than that from gov’t. And like I said, with one having no oversight and literally no ceiling, and the other not, it seemed like an obvious wrong to me. But maybe that was just my misinterpretation

He also at one point said no one under the age of 65 who has had covid should get a vaxx. That’s not nearly as bad as saying no one under the age of 65 should get a vaxx, to me that would be crazy. Because that’s assuming that no person under 65 has a compromised immune system due to either their shit lifestyle and/or other genetic factors

But I guess he’s assuming “well if they survived covid once, they’ll for sure survive it again”. And while I do agree that I bet covid antibodies are better than vaxx antibodies, even that statement I am skeptical about
He wasn't just assuming that, he was saying based on the most recent data that natural immunity is universally better than vax immunity, even if you have a compromised immune system. The vax is still recommendable for immunocompromised people who *haven't* already had covid, but for immunocompromised people who have already had covid and weren't vaxed, getting the vax now is basically just an extra risk with no tangible benefit based on the current data.
Old 09-06-2023, 06:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botten [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Dr. Fauci’s scholarly accomplishments makes him look like a god compared to that quack’s credentials. Yet you complain about Fauci every second you can because he made your Orange man look stupid.

Hmmmm why would you praise a quack like Vinay Prasad pushing misinformation for crazy ideologies then complain about state and government agencies looking to protect their citizens?

Oh that’s right you trust your uninformed grifting podcast hosts over anything sane. Want to by a cellular service that donates to causes you are against :rolleyes

Ridiculous

At what point do you step back Baler and figure out your kinfolk taught you hateful wrong information that you never question.
Lol yeah he's the quack! Not you though.
Old 09-06-2023, 06:42 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Lol yeah he's the quack! Not you though.
Botten is the living embodiment of confirmation bias

dude lives his life deciding on his own what he wants reality to be, then scouring the internet for anything or anyone who agrees with his fantasy
Old 09-06-2023, 06:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Origen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I see the sometimes hamfisted attempts at representation as abiding by the supposed laws of supply and demand. Marketing, writing, whatever.

Sometimes it works, such as the Spider-Verse movies. Loathe as I am to like a superhero movie, they found a way to make it broadly appealing. Good writing.

Sometimes it doesn't, like when Anheuser-Busch misread the fuck out of their customer base. I don't know how that one slipped past any of them, you could go to any given beach in Florida in the last fifty years and figure that one out. Bad writing.
Yea that could be, which is why I was zero’ing in on the white male incompetent villain thing, rather than the black hero thing

Sure movies historically had a lack of non-white heroes, but usually villains were never always black, or whatever. Often villains were a decent mix, probably still mostly white though

But now, there’s a flip to where most heroes seem to be non-white but almost all villains seem to be white men. And like I said, not like a cool type of villain like, um, Anton Chigur from No Country for Old Men. No, like bumbling, power-crazed, dumb white men

There was even an actor or director or someone who came right out and said “I tried to make this villain resemble Trump”. It’s like, ok, I respect that. Because that’s what it seems like already. So at least be out with it, and give them all Trump hair and a giant red “R” on their clothes or whatever

I don’t think this “white men bad” manipulation will actually work, but it seems to be more noticeable now. So remove the subtlety if that truly is the goal. Make the next villain have Mitch McConnell’s face or whatever. I’m sure this can be done with AI [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Closed Thread