Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Priests

Closed Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 01:24 PM
Planar Protector

froglok or vah shir
Old 09-26-2013, 11:29 PM
Large Rat

All of the races have a lot going for them. Unlike some classes, when rolling a Shaman you really can't choose wrong for a race. However, I really like Iksar. They have regen, yes, but that's only part of it. They also have the highest WIS of any Shamans, meaning you will have more mana and less resists than other Shamans. Plus, it's easier to hit the 200 soft-cap.

Yes, they lose the JBB, but really, that's a single item you don't really even need, so there's no point in making your decision solely on this. Besides, it becomes irrelevant come Velious, when Iksar gear becomes vastly more powerful.

The combination of high WIS and regen means that Iksar Shamans have, hands-down, the largest possible mana pool of all Shamans. Something to consider.
Old 09-28-2013, 10:55 AM
Sarnak

Iksar have 39 less stamina and 20 more wis than troll. The stam offsets about a quarter of the difference in wis. Troll also has 38 more str, for whatever that's worth to you. JBB isn't the only jaundiced bone armor that people often equip. Anybody know anything about how bugged AC is atm? I've heard varying information. If AC still works, then the other jaundiced bone pieces are very nice for the price.
Last edited by DrKvothe; 09-28-2013 at 10:58 AM..
Old 09-28-2013, 09:04 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrKvothe [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Iksar have 39 less stamina and 20 more wis than troll. The stam offsets about a quarter of the difference in wis. Troll also has 38 more str, for whatever that's worth to you. JBB isn't the only jaundiced bone armor that people often equip. Anybody know anything about how bugged AC is atm? I've heard varying information. If AC still works, then the other jaundiced bone pieces are very nice for the price.
Someone here posted a link to a thread where someone did some ac testing. I dont remember the details but it showed that ac does have some significant effect on damage reduction. Not sure what their data showed, if someone knows what I'm talking about maybe they could link the thread.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:19 AM
Sarnak

I like the benefits you get with Iksar, the only biggest downfalls I see about them is
  • They are hated
  • They have a hell of a time getting OFF Kunark
  • 20% exp penalty does show it's ugly face in hell levels
  • Unless you're willing to do a lot of faction work, can only bank in Cabilis
  • They miss out on a few key items that are vanilla

However, this can be offset by higher mana pool, easy soft cap, being right in FoB and Kurn's, and LoIO, and OT. Can easily go 1-40 there. It will just take a really long time to get there.

Regardless, I'm tossed between Troll and Iksar. I know Iksar's will get a lot of love in the next expansion, but Trolls get some nice clickies. I ended up with a Barb Shaman, which I may just go ahead and kill off to move to Iksar/Troll. It'll just be a bit of a bitch to get the items over there.
Old 10-01-2013, 03:07 PM
Kobold

Only one race has an ability that cannot be duplicated by another through items, spells etc: frontal stun immunity. If you are a min/maxer there is no other choice but ogre for this ability alone.

Slam also wasn't mentioned as iksars lose out on that.

Wisdom is an overrated stat, how often do you blow your entire mana pool during a fight? Shamans get the best mana regen of any class so a lower mana pool is insignificant.

Regen is helpful but by max level isn't significant.

All the other crap like better starting area, better faction, etc...not only is it a bad reason to create a race that will be less powerful in the end, but it will be entirely worthless in Velious when everyone is on an even playing field faction wise.
Old 10-01-2013, 04:03 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncapatina [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
All the other crap like better starting area, better faction, etc...not only is it a bad reason to create a race that will be less powerful in the end, but it will be entirely worthless in Velious when everyone is on an even playing field faction wise.
Just to nitpick:

Ogre Shaman are actually on a better field than other shaman come Velious. Rallos Zek worshippers are non-kos in Kael initially. Hence everyone and their brother having level 1 Ogres to face track Kael on live!
Old 10-14-2013, 02:58 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Just to nitpick:

Ogre Shaman are actually on a better field than other shaman come Velious. Rallos Zek worshippers are non-kos in Kael initially. Hence everyone and their brother having level 1 Ogres to face track Kael on live!
That sir is an excellent nitpick and you should not feel guilty whatsoever posting it!
Old 10-14-2013, 09:01 PM
Fire Giant

Out of just plain curiosity, how would an Iksar shaman go about attempting to complete this quest line?

http://wiki.project1999.com/Cazic_Thule_Symbol_Quests

What strategy(s) might best work for attaining the needed faction? Make the assumption that the character is around level 29-34, so that Invis and/or pet might be available.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:11 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by NegaStoat [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Out of just plain curiosity, how would an Iksar shaman go about attempting to complete this quest line?

http://wiki.project1999.com/Cazic_Thule_Symbol_Quests

What strategy(s) might best work for attaining the needed faction? Make the assumption that the character is around level 29-34, so that Invis and/or pet might be available.
Same way troll does. Head to erudin and kill guards. Not sure how long you'll have to as an iksar, but 2 or 3 hours slaughtering them as a ~38 shaman was enough to get me to indifferent faction. Doable by 35 definitely, kill the guards by the dock.
Last edited by Lojik; 10-14-2013 at 09:13 PM..
Closed Thread