Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Old 05-19-2020, 09:25 AM
Kobold

Having exactly same problems on google fiber in KCMO.
pings to project1999.org drop rate 11%.
pings to the ip ^ resolves to, 144.121.19.170, drop rate 9%.
if it was just a DNS issue, I don't think that last one would be true.

So it's not just AT&T, unless google fiber's backbone has to hop through AT&T to get to lightower...

my tracert goes through google fiber, gtt.net, then lighttower
Old 05-20-2020, 02:43 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Hey guys, I'm currently having this issue... I don't have an issue connecting to anything else, just login.eqemulator.net - I have changed DNS to google, I can't ping... Something is definitely funky with the internet.
Old 05-20-2020, 02:56 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

So I'm still unable to login. I'm located in Hawaii (Hawaii Telecom). I was playing yesterday just fine, and I zoned out from Sol Ro, crashed, and couldn't get back on to the server. Before I crashed everything was working fine. Now I am unable to ping the server. DNS resolves just fine. Traceroute does not complete.

This looks to be a routing issue, not DNS. I assume that the route was lost for some providers or a duplicate IP address is being leaked from somewhere else. The reason that I was able to play and then when I crashed I suddenly lost the ability to connect is because active routes are cached in most ISP routers to lower the CPU load. Once my active connection was broken (crashed) the route was effectively unlearned from cache and the new route lookup failed as the route was no longer being properly advertised.

Unfortunately, this is going to be a problem that only the devs can correct by talking to their ISP and ensuring their public IP is being advertised correctly and that it's not showing up in routing tables elsewhere. It's not going to affect everyone, just certain ISPs are not getting the route leaked or are getting a duplicate route leaked (which could explain the packet loss in the above users response) so this will affect only users that are on certain backbones. It's very unfortunate.
Old 05-20-2020, 03:57 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

UPDATE: I have confirmed that there are widespread routing issues happening all over the US right now. I assume this has something to do with COVID and ISP workers WFH/not having direct access to routers/switches. I no longer have routes to Discord voice RTC, and quite a few other routes are flapping, including google DNS 8.8.8.8.

Hopefully this isn't a sign of worse things to come.
Old 05-20-2020, 06:40 PM
Kobold

I am also having the same issues. I also have AT&T...

I died twice today because of the unusual lag that I experienced. Anyone know if the GM's would be willing to give me back the exp I lost due to what is clearly a systemic internet connectivity issue?
Old 05-21-2020, 11:55 AM
Planar Protector

The GMs won't rez you but I will. 96% on Blue or 90% on Green. Just send me a PM and tell me where to go.

-Mcoy