Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 04:00 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Also, this is just an opinion of mine, why everyone feels like they gotta strap on tommy toughguy helmets and go to battle behind their keyboards on me... is baffling and laughable. I engaged in name calling too but only after stupid posts towards me (name calling and the like) Stupid posts deserve stupid replies. Again I love p99 and again i never did any RMT. Also, this is again an opinion, but an opinion stating they also broke rules in making this server. Appreciate the feedback from the people who actually had insight to the whole ordeal. To the others who just wanted to catapult Pictures and namecalling...please grow up.
Old 03-24-2014, 04:06 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Frieza_Prexus and Fael, thanks for your replies. Intelligence of what your talking about is clear, and i am not being facetious, i am actually very happy to read your views on this subject and sorry if my original point wasn't clear in my first post. Again i loved this server i just had a friend get banned for an account he bought with Plat quite some time ago.
Old 03-24-2014, 04:10 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fael [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What makes you qualified to have an opinion on Title 17 of the United States Code? Have you ever read it?
How might Section 106 apply to Project 99.

Please advise.

Dolic
Have not read that, but lets be real, this is copyright infringement. Stop trying to defend something what isn't winnable, and you're 100% correct on how it won't ever get taken to court. but none the less both sides are wrong, but banning accounts isn't fixing anything, it will just continue with new ways of getting around them.
Old 03-24-2014, 04:11 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1506 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Also, this is just an opinion of mine, why everyone feels like they gotta strap on tommy toughguy helmets and go to battle behind their keyboards on me... is baffling and laughable. I engaged in name calling too but only after stupid posts towards me (name calling and the like) Stupid posts deserve stupid replies. Again I love p99 and again i never did any RMT. Also, this is again an opinion, but an opinion stating they also broke rules in making this server. Appreciate the feedback from the people who actually had insight to the whole ordeal. To the others who just wanted to catapult Pictures and namecalling...please grow up.
To point at someone else's faults, errors and/or issues is the tactics of someone who is trying to redirect their own guilt or lack of judgement. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but it really has no place in this instance. The rules were/are clearly stated with their penalties and people broke them. What else is there to have an opinion about? If you don't like the devs or the server, why play on it? If you or anyone does not like the rules as posted than they should log off and find something else to do. If you want to cheat, play a single player game or some MMO that has lenient cheating regulations. Bashing the devs, the game or the server over what the RMTers did is really lame.
Old 03-24-2014, 04:12 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1506 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Have not read that, but lets be real, this is copyright infringement. Stop trying to defend something what isn't winnable, and you're 100% correct on how it won't ever get taken to court. but none the less both sides are wrong, but banning accounts isn't fixing anything, it will just continue with new ways of getting around them.

Yea this dude is banned..... all these walls of texts from a non banned person? Highly unlikely
Old 03-24-2014, 04:15 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocsucow [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yea this dude is banned..... all these walls of texts from a non banned person? Highly unlikely
I'm not banned i assure you... and won't be unless they see this as developer bashing.
Old 03-24-2014, 04:16 PM
Decaying Skeleton

And why would that matter at all? Or did you want to just see your name on this thread that turned into something far from what i meant it to be.
Old 03-24-2014, 04:33 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Have not read that, but lets be real, this is copyright infringement.
Part of what Dolic is saying is that "it is and it isn't" infringement. To maintain a copyright you have to police and monitor it. That's why it's not morally or ethically wrong (in many, but not all cases) to infringe certain copyrights. The law specifically says sometimes the copyright holder's copyright is invalid under certain circumstances, but you have to go to court to sort it out. Much of what keeps people from infringing is that they don't want to risk losing if the copyright is held to still be valid.

Think of Schrodinger's cat. It may or may not be a copyright violation, but we won't know exactly until they fight it out in court. However, under the "laches" defense Dolic mentioned Sony's claim gets weaker and weaker as time goes by. We'll never be 100% certain that P99 is or is not a copyright violation, but as time goes by we becomes MORE certain because the copyright has decayed over time under the equitable defense of laches.

Again, Schrodinger's cat. It's simultaneously alive and dead, but if you leave the box closed for 4 weeks (or don't pursue your claim against P99 for 4+ years), kitty ain't kicking no more cause it starved to death. As time passes you approach near certainty of a specific outcome.
Old 03-24-2014, 04:35 PM
Planar Protector

Poor Schrodinger's cat. Someone should tell PITA he's keeping it in a box all these years.
Old 03-24-2014, 04:41 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frieza_Prexus [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Part of what Dolic is saying is that "it is and it isn't" infringement. To maintain a copyright you have to police and monitor it. That's why it's not morally or ethically wrong (in many, but not all cases) to infringe certain copyrights. The law specifically says sometimes the copyright holder's copyright is invalid under certain circumstances, but you have to go to court to sort it out. Much of what keeps people from infringing is that they don't want to risk losing if the copyright is held to still be valid.

Think of Schrodinger's cat. It may or may not be a copyright violation, but we won't know exactly until they fight it out in court. However, under the "laches" defense Dolic mentioned Sony's claim gets weaker and weaker as time goes by. We'll never be 100% certain that P99 is or is not a copyright violation, but as time goes by we becomes MORE certain because the copyright has decayed over time under the equitable defense of laches.

Again, Schrodinger's cat. It's simultaneously alive and dead, but if you leave the box closed for 4 weeks (or don't pursue your claim against P99 for 4+ years), kitty ain't kicking no more cause it starved to death. As time passes you approach near certainty of a specific outcome.
If people condemn P99 then jump on youtube or stream a movie from some .to site or download a torrent, they are absolute hypocrites. Every minute of everyday youtube is in violation of copyright laws yet gets away with it. Unless the people/person who is being infringed upon sees their property being used illegally, it remains up on youtube.