Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

View Poll Results: Is grouping worth it?
Only if you suck 9 45.00%
It's really good if you're boxing 2 10.00%
they hate us for our freedom 5 25.00%
other (posted in comment) 4 20.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-25-2024, 02:39 AM
Aviak

Default Grouping is almost never worth it if you are good at this game, lol.

Some hyperbole there. When Green was new there wasn't enough camps to sustain solo game-play for a lot of non premiere classes. But if you are playing a Shaman, Necromancer, Magician, Enchanter etc. you are almost always gimping yourself severely by joining a group.

Not just in terms of experience, but also in terms of loot. Also just way more chill to sit back and casually AFK farm with a beer in one hand, and a freedom flag in the other (lmao).

Do y'all know what I mean though? Like it triggers me when people are my best friend when they need an Enchanter/Shaman, but then I don't exist when they already have one. But then they expect me to drop what I'm doing to come and suddenly have to work really hard just to cut my experience by about 90% and get no loot to come carry their group.

I'm just keeping it real. Supporting a group for the love of the game. I do that a lot of times. But don't expect these groups to love you back.
Old 08-25-2024, 02:44 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakanda [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
But then they expect me to drop what I'm doing to come and suddenly have to work really hard just to cut my experience by about 90% and get no loot to come carry their group.
Lot of grammar issues that I can't fix here (no edits). Like okay, you're suddenly my best friend again, and it turns out your group just lost it's enchancter. Like it feels super fake and annoying. Like it's almost never worth it for me at this point to come and carry these people so I can get little to no exp/loot when I can just solo and get way more for way less effort.

It also offends me that these people are so unknowledgeable that they don't realize you can never have enough Enchanters. Like I literally solo 4 of the camps in the zone, and their group is struggling to do just one of those camps.

I consider grouping on an Enchanter to be a community service, but these folks treat it like a privilige that they are entitled to for being born with slanted ears. Nun-ungh baby girl.
Old 08-25-2024, 02:58 AM
Aviak

Maybe enchanter should have a huge penalty for solo'ing, but get normal exp when grouped lol

i was just trying to think of what the solution is

it feels like punishing myself to group with people, but most of the time i do it to be nice and for the love of the game and to keep it alive, bug dizzang as hell, yaw
Old 08-25-2024, 03:14 AM
Planar Protector

It’s an rpg mmo. Being good at this game isn’t monopolising pixels. It is being able to hang / vibe with other players and do so in a way in which they would like to do so again.

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 08-25-2024, 06:32 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It’s an rpg mmo. Being good at this game isn’t monopolising pixels. It is being able to hang / vibe with other players and do so in a way in which they would like to do so again.
^ that

most of the 'best times' I've had in this game have been in groups
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Old 08-25-2024, 08:32 AM
Planar Protector

Just make an emu server on ya lappy and juat solo to ya hearts content. Never have to encounter anotger human. Like ever.
Or play red.
Old 08-25-2024, 08:36 AM
Sarnak

I play an enchanter and a rogue, both of whom I consider "mains". I almost entirely solo on my chanter, and sometimes raid when a chanter is really needed for a raid. But it's like 90% solo, which gets crushingly boring and lonely, so when I need a break from enc I just play my rogue for a couple weeks, who basically must group to gain xp in the high 50s.

So I ping-pong between a super antisocial class and a nearly group-only class to keep my elf time balanced.
Old 08-25-2024, 11:02 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakanda [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Maybe enchanter should have a huge penalty for solo'ing, but get normal exp when grouped lol
Or ... and hear me out here, because I know the idea is crazy ... Nilbog could actually implement classic EQ mechanics, instead of deliberately changing them to make Enchanters unclassic solo gods.

Look, anyone who played on classic knew Enchanters as a group class that could solo, but with high risk. Nilbog has unclassicly lowered the risk here, and for the entirety of this server he's chosen to ignore that P99 Enchanters don't match classic ones.

One simple example is channeling. There is a mountain of evidence that channeling failed far, far more often on live. If you can't channel a stun while being hit, Enchanter soloing is a lot less viable.

And channeling is just one factor. So no, what we need isn't any custom solution ... what we need is to remove the custom code, and just implement the classic stuff that our researchers already spent (wasted?) a great deal of their personal time to uncover.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue or Green servers, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of platinum and/or gear! Send me a forum message for details.
Old 08-25-2024, 11:08 AM
Planar Protector

P.S. Fixing channeling would also make other classes want to group more. Nilbog could literally change a single variable in the code (the channeling resist rate) and make P99 feel far more classic overnight.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue or Green servers, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of platinum and/or gear! Send me a forum message for details.
Old 08-25-2024, 11:14 AM
Sarnak

As usual "classic" = loramin's personal memory lol