Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > Bugs

Old 05-14-2014, 10:03 PM
Banned

Played on 3 live servers never once when I went to Neriak/Halas were there guard groups inside the towns (and people would camp just about ANYTHING for xp because of how over camped things were... I solo camped Cyndreela at the fear portal for Christ sake lol).

Nor can I find any comments about the guards inside Neriak/Halas where people are saying "good xp" or "we kill these" etc (because only the people in your head did lol.). We can check the eqmac forums too I think? I don't see anything about any of that, maybe you can find something about how often people kill the guards inside towns from the wayback machine... the only ones I found said "way too resistant".
Last edited by Nirgon; 05-14-2014 at 10:11 PM..
Old 05-14-2014, 10:45 PM
Sarnak

Here is a site detailing killing guards...

http://www.angelfire.com/rpg/whitewi...des/tricks.htm

I think it really was just the fact that people were scared to screw up their faction. This was the first BIG (imo) MMO and people didn't get all the concepts, or know all the shortcuts, or knew the long term effects of their decisions. If people understood ZEM and the effects on killing guards in a town there was no point in having faction with I am sure more people would have been killing guards.

"Living my life 6 seconds at a time." - Unknown
Last edited by Scrubosaur; 05-14-2014 at 10:49 PM..
Old 05-14-2014, 10:54 PM
Planar Protector

Guards were constantly camped EVERYWHERE until the May 12th 2000 patch. I killed Ogre guards all the time and Necromancers were notorious for soloing the good-aligned guards. After the patch people still camped the guards that hadn't been mega-buffed, although not as frequently because their respawn rate had been increased and people now had Kunark to go play.

I believe at a later date, not during classic era, guards were buffed yet again.
Last edited by Zuranthium; 05-14-2014 at 10:58 PM..
Old 05-14-2014, 11:03 PM
Planar Protector

Troll guards. Also Dwarf and High Elf guards mentioned.

Neriak Wizzies. That usually is the guards as well since they path into each other.
Here is another Neriak Guards.

Oggok guards guide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrubosaur [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Here is a site detailing killing guards...

http://www.angelfire.com/rpg/whitewi...des/tricks.htm

I think it really was just the fact that people were scared to screw up their faction. This was the first BIG (imo) MMO and people didn't get all the concepts, or know all the shortcuts, or knew the long term effects of their decisions. If people understood ZEM and the effects on killing guards in a town there was no point in having faction with I am sure more people would have been killing guards.
Yup, that is correct. You'll notice that a lot of searches turn up Necro hunting guides, that's because Necros already had hosed faction and didn't care about losing faction to places they were already KOS at.

Verant at the time kept telling people that faction was important because of quests, little did they know how fucking worthless faction was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuranthium [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Guards were constantly camped EVERYWHERE until the May 12th 2000 patch. I killed Ogre guards all the time and Necromancers were notorious for soloing the good-aligned guards. After the patch people still camped the guards that hadn't been mega-buffed, although not as frequently because their respawn rate had been increased and people now had Kunark to go play.

I believe at a later date, not during classic era, guards were buffed yet again.
Spawn rates were messed with during the 2000 patch, but only the newbie guards at city entrances were megabuffed. The rest of the guards were left alone, that's why people moved inside to hunt places like Grobb/Oggok/Felwithe/Neriak/Kaladim/Freeport/Paineel/Erudin. Once Kunark/Velious came out, a lot of blue servers weren't so crowded so yeah guard killing decreased even though it was fantastic loot exp. To my knowledge there was never another patch, because there are Necro guides from 2000-2008 telling people to go hunt guards for loot/exp.

Being a Necromancer was awesome. Fuck faction, be KOS everywhere!
Last edited by Potus; 05-14-2014 at 11:09 PM..
Old 05-14-2014, 11:13 PM
Sarnak

There was a ton of stuff that wasn't put "out on the web" about EQ for those first few years. People were selling shit for RL money and wanted to keep stuff a secret. I don't remember people selling rogue / cleric epic MQ's back in the day or people running around with clicky Complete healing items. But now that we know about those things and how they work it's rampant.

"Living my life 6 seconds at a time." - Unknown
Old 05-14-2014, 11:36 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potus [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Oh look, there I am talking about Ogre guards in 2001. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potus [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
To my knowledge there was never another patch, because there are Necro guides from 2000-2008 telling people to go hunt guards for loot/exp
Well, it seems the people who logged onto Live recently have said the city guards are harder. So they must have been further buffed at some point. It definitely wasn't classic era, though.
Old 05-14-2014, 11:49 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuranthium [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Oh look, there I am talking about Ogre guards in 2001. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Well, it seems the people who logged onto Live recently have said the city guards are harder. So they must have been further buffed at some point. It definitely wasn't classic era, though.
Oh interesting, I stopped playing when PoP came out, then came back briefly, quit for good when they did stupid crap like revamped Freeport.

New Freeport is so fucking bad. So bad.
Old 05-14-2014, 11:57 PM
Planar Protector

BTW, did Nirgon's wrongful complaining here actually cause the Troll guards to get buffed more than they should be? Hopefully that is reversed if it was done because of this thread.
Old 05-14-2014, 11:57 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
BTW, did Nirgon's wrongful complaining here actually cause the Troll guards to get buffed more than they should be? Hopefully that is reversed if it was done because of this thread.
Yup!

It's not the first non-classic guard buff he's got pushed through.
Old 05-15-2014, 12:18 AM
Planar Protector

Guard camping (aside from the ones at the gates of newbie areas) was seriously good for the game. It made high level players and low level players interact and it made the world feel more alive.

In 2011 when I was leveling my Enchanter on Steamfont guards/NPC's here on p99, they felt exactly as they should be - the two guards at the city gate and the one guard a bit up the path were mega-buffed, but the two guards on the other side of the mountain were killable. I would constantly talk with the low level players in the zone when I was medding and they could earn money by running over to me and taking all of my copper/silver/gold to the bank for plat, which they would get to keep some of.

That kind of stuff is exactly the essence of classic EQ.