Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Important > News & Announcements > Polls

View Poll Results: Translocator ideas
I support the idea of a zone wide shout indicating spawn of the translocator 27 13.99%
I'm opposed to an NPC shout, not classic, don't do it! 10 5.18%
Keep the translocators up full time, this is lame 107 55.44%
Have them up all the time but only port every 10-15 minutes. 19 9.84%
I like it the way it is, don't change. 25 12.95%
I have another idea! Post below. 5 2.59%
Voters: 193. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 02:37 PM
Kobold

I have seen the Translocators at the BB docks abused by using them as a zoneline. Not much risk involved when you can run to an npc and spawn a hotkey and instantly zone. Making them not port if in combat would fix that.
Old 11-23-2009, 02:42 PM
Kobold

@Lyyfeleech

I like you idea about making the Translocators not port you if you're in combat.

Glorin Binfur hits Jibobn for 54 points of damage.
Glorin Binfur hits Jibobn for 43 points of damage.
Jibobn has been slain by Glorin Binfur.
Glorin Binfur hits YOU for 46 points of damage.
Glorin Binfur hits YOU for 32 points of damage.
You say travel to the ocean of tears.
Glorin Binfur hits YOU for 41 points of damage.
Glorin Binfur hits YOU for 33 points of damage.
You say, travel to the ocean of tears.
Translocator points at you.
Translocator laughs.
Glorin Binfur hits YOU for 51 points of damage.
Glorin Binfur hits YOU for 39 points of damage.
You have been slain by Glorin Binfur!
LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
Last edited by Morfnblorsh; 11-23-2009 at 02:49 PM..
Old 11-26-2009, 01:34 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyyfeleech [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I have seen the Translocators at the BB docks abused by using them as a zoneline. Not much risk involved when you can run to an npc and spawn a hotkey and instantly zone. Making them not port if in combat would fix that.
Oh, and how do you handle wandering mobs? If a red mob aggros you while you are waiting for a tl or on your way to the tl, you should just be allowed to die with xp loss and possibly a long corpse run? Some players training to the tl is something that we will have to live with because the waiting is pointless. The benefits of the tl being there when you need it far outweigh the potential abuses by a few players.
Old 11-23-2009, 02:40 PM
Planar Protector

Take the translocator out and make people swim!
Old 11-23-2009, 02:41 PM
Developer

Send a message via AIM to Aeolwind Send a message via MSN to Aeolwind Send a message via Yahoo to Aeolwind

Quote:
Originally Posted by eqravenprince [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Take the translocator out and make people swim!
I knew I forgot an option.
Old 11-23-2009, 02:48 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeolwind [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I knew I forgot an option.
You could always speed up swimming to make it equivalent of a boat =).
Old 11-23-2009, 02:40 PM
Fire Giant

I like the idea of Transporters being around permanently. There's nothing cool about waiting around for a spawn just to get from point A to point B.

Maybe have them wait 15-20 seconds after you tell them where to go before they port you, so they can't be abused as a zoneline -- but I'm really not even opposed to them being used for that purpose.
Old 11-23-2009, 02:47 PM
Kobold

problem with it not working while in combat is some people don't choose to be in combat they are just trying to travel from point a to b and a mob agros them just a few feet away from port so now they are stuck? Your just asking for QQ's with that one.
Old 11-23-2009, 04:17 PM
Planar Protector

The boats were always a huge time sink like so many other things in EQ. In some ways it added to the "realism" in the sense that travel to other continents took time. I get it, it made sense. Huge time sinks are not what made EQ an epic game. I hope we can agree on that.

It also added to the whole need to organize and socialize when planning out the evening's activities, be it quests, grouping, whatever. In my opinion porting is still useful, (particularly when looking at the size of the main continent alone) but this added even more value to porting.

All that being said, the current population is so small that expecting to be able to buy a ride when you need one is not always going to happen, it just isn't. If I was playing a druid wizard with 2 hours a day to play and trying to reach 50 before Kunark is released I'm not leaving my group to port a stranger. I'm a nice guy and all but sorry, the fake money isn't worth my time.

There are indeed quests that were created with the idea that having to use boats will make it take longer (Stein of Mogguk among others), thereby increasing the value of the reward. To that I say this, so be it. Let the value drop on the Stein. I'm saying this as an enchanter by the way. The same thing happened on live albeit much later. Many of the other quests are for class specific items that aren't usually sold anyway.

I would much prefer the translocators be there all the time but in the interest of keeping the classic feel I voted for the zonewide shout instead. In all honesty nobody should be made to do nothing in a game for 20 minutes when most of us barely have the time to log in an hour or two a night. At least with the shout you don't have to be sitting on the dock (no I am not interested in fishing). Also back in the day people did indeed /shout when the boat was coming as a courtesy, at least on my server they did.

In short, please use the zone wide shout idea if the current setup is here to stay. At least give us that. It doesn't make the wait any less, it merely simulates a larger server population.
Old 11-23-2009, 04:27 PM
Sarnak

^^^ I approve of this message.

In all honesty I think the perma-transports should be kept for now pending both a higher server population and good reliable boat code.

If there is a small amount of quests you can mitigate potential issues in any number of ways to keep them from being exploited while keeping them in the game namely by changing rewards to no-drop, reducing exp, making non repeatable, and devaluing the item to vendors.

Or just move the quest NPC's a bit deeper inland on their respective continents.
For example a Kaladim to Freeport quest you could change to Kelethin to Oasis or something like that.
Closed Thread