Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 10:21 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Default Picked the right time!

Looks like I picked the perfect time to come back, as I really want to play a paladin. I mained a Shammy back in 2001, and I always had tank envy. I finally got the game up and running last night, made a dwarf paly, and hoofed it to Freeport. By the time I had to log for the night, I was still looking for a bind.

Imagine my surprise when I hop on the forums this morning at work and see that the hybrid exp penalty was lifted! It's a sign, I swear.

Anyway, my questions...

Is it possible to start off a paly with 0 gear/money and level them by tanking in groups? If not, is there some easy to get starting tank gear I should know about? From what I remember, people wouldn't want a tank wearing cloth from orc pawns...

Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 09-21-2015, 11:21 AM
Planar Protector

I HOPE you put 5 points into Agility. IF not you need to re roll it. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] You will be in deep shit if you die and are naked, which will happen a lot. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

And Welcome Aboard. Just try to get a whole set of Banded Armor, and a good weapon and you will be OK. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Farm HQ Bear Pelts, 30 plat each, and Bone Chips and Spiderling Silks to sell in the EC Tunnel.

Ask a high end Druid in the Tunnel to buff the hell out of you, and you will make level 8 to 10 quick. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 09-21-2015, 11:35 AM
Planar Protector

Webs makes a good point on AGI you want at least 75 base and might even consider more on your first char since you are bound to spend a good deal of time encumbered with loot and heavy armor ^^
Old 09-21-2015, 11:41 AM
Fire Giant

I started here on a paladin, who had nothing. With flash of light, you require no other items to hold aggro. We Brunner gave you some good advice on making plat. I have a few other suggestions for a Dwarven pally.

1. Save all of you're bone chips until level 7 and then turn them in to Canloe r whatever his name is for quick xp. This will likely take you at least into level 9, so you can get your first spells.

2. Check vendors in Kelethin for small bronze armor when you have some plat. That gear is everywhere, so it's worth vendor diving.

3. Start saving for HP/AC rings. Those and a decent weapon. You can get a baton of faith or a sword of skyfire for 200p or less.

The rest of your gear will come as you level. I never had issues finding xp groups on my pally, so I don't expect you will. Welcome and GL!
Old 09-21-2015, 12:23 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

I didn't know AGI was that important for pallies. I might have actually put 5 into it, since I used the Paladin guide on the wiki, but I'm not sure. I'll check when I get home from work.

As for everything else in this thread, thanks so much for all the advice! I'll get to work on all of that right away.
Old 09-23-2015, 07:22 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesphere [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I didn't know AGI was that important for pallies. I might have actually put 5 into it, since I used the Paladin guide on the wiki, but I'm not sure. I'll check when I get home from work.

As for everything else in this thread, thanks so much for all the advice! I'll get to work on all of that right away.
AGI isn't important for paladins, but you take a big hit to your defense if it is below 75, as I recall dwarf pally starts with 70. That is why people are making a point of it. Just be sure you started with 75.

Welcome and have fun. It is a great time!
Old 09-23-2015, 09:20 AM
Orc

It is a great time, OP! No more hybrid penalty is awesome and really does make playing one a lot more enjoyable.
Closed Thread