Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Old 10-06-2022, 01:47 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calmethar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you wish to file any case, I'd suggest you contact an attorney in your country of residence. That's entirely up to you.
You got me all riled up with talk of broken laws but now you get all shy? You're a terrible fluffer my dude.
Old 10-06-2022, 01:56 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdad [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You got me all riled up with talk of broken laws but now you get all shy? You're a terrible fluffer my dude.
No matter if you buy a product or not, the same laws apply. Depending on the country, of course. P99 has a decent scale, so this spyware affects quite the number of people, who're for the most part entirely without knowledge of actually being surveilled. That's quite illegal, and has only been ongoing for so long, as 99.9 % doesn't actually know, or doesn't know the actual scale of it.
Old 10-06-2022, 02:15 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calmethar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
who're for the most part entirely without knowledge of actually being surveilled
My guy did you try Googling "p99 spyware"? Maybe check the dates given with the links? Somehow miss all the websites hosting comments on it? Shield your eyes when it displayed www.project.1999.com? Chant dark verses and gnash your teeth when it gave Rogean as the commenter?
Old 11-03-2022, 07:08 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdad [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Its been a boring morning, can you list the laws for our resident young lawyers to parse?
https://sites.suffolk.edu/jhtl/2021/...vacy-concerns/

probably illegal in the EU

https://www.wired.com/story/kernel-a...lnerabilities/

talks about the levels of anti-cheats particularly Black Desert had a very low level anti-cheat program in regards the the windows operating system

this is a particularly interesting issue since there's a set of ISOs being passed around that have what appear to be MQ2 installation files in the 5th iso that may or may not be getting hooked during the install process and infecting any user who uses to exploit their computer

Typically anti-cheat software is looking to stop the cheat application from gaining access to the game in question and detecting it once it does and does not normally look outside itself to find open windows.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/techn...ustice-policy/

cites that if this is being done in good faith for security research and in this case good faith catching cheat software that is installed with or with out the players permission

these are honest questions though about what is done once they are looking outside the game and are they circumventing any security measures built into windows with either social engineering or code.
Old 10-06-2022, 01:59 PM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If you think what we're doing is bad, wait until you see what companies like Daybreak, Blizzard, and Riot are doing. Wooo boy does it pale in comparison.

But no, we are not collecting your processes/windows. The DLL gets flagged by Antiviruses because it uses obfuscation technologies. Those technologies are also commonly used by viruses, so if an AV company decided to blacklist sections of the obfuscation code, then it will flag. We do attempt to improve that by code signing and reporting to the AV companies when needed.

Project 1999 Setup Guide
Old 10-07-2022, 08:53 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogean [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you think what we're doing is bad, wait until you see what companies like Daybreak, Blizzard, and Riot are doing. Wooo boy does it pale in comparison.

But no, we are not collecting your processes/windows. The DLL gets flagged by Antiviruses because it uses obfuscation technologies. Those technologies are also commonly used by viruses, so if an AV company decided to blacklist sections of the obfuscation code, then it will flag. We do attempt to improve that by code signing and reporting to the AV companies when needed.
"The others are also doing it, and they're even worse than us, see....!"

Nah, Rogean, that doesn't quite (there you go, Spithridates) cut it.

What you are doing ís bad. That's the entire point here. And you especially know that you've hit the nail perfectly on the head when the trolls all surface immediately after ;-)

Your "we are not collecting your processes/windows" is a statement that you can't possibly prove, so it doesn't really get us anywhere. And the potential constant monitoring of thousands of players processes/windows are "bad" enough here, Rogean, you don't even have to be collecting anything, you obviously know that already.

So why not just start owing up to some of this by putting a huge sign alongside your "patch files" on your front page, stating that you're monitoring peoples windows in order to uphold your "rules". That would be the honest thing to do and at least a start, but you don't really have any intentions of actually informing 99.9 % of your players, do you now, Rogean ;-)

And "obfuscation technologies", haha, good one ;-)
Old 10-07-2022, 11:24 AM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
"The others are also doing it, and they're even worse than us, see....!"

Nah, Rogean, that doesn't quite (there you go, Spithridates) cut it.

What you are doing ís bad. That's the entire point here. And you especially know that you've hit the nail perfectly on the head when the trolls all surface immediately after ;-)

Your "we are not collecting your processes/windows" is a statement that you can't possibly prove, so it doesn't really get us anywhere. And the potential constant monitoring of thousands of players processes/windows are "bad" enough here, Rogean, you don't even have to be collecting anything, you obviously know that already.

So why not just start owing up to some of this by putting a huge sign alongside your "patch files" on your front page, stating that you're monitoring peoples windows in order to uphold your "rules". That would be the honest thing to do and at least a start, but you don't really have any intentions of actually informing 99.9 % of your players, do you now, Rogean ;-)

And "obfuscation technologies", haha, good one ;-)
I have a lot of tolerance for the various things people have accused me of over the years, but straight up calling me a liar without proof (haha you actually asked me to prove your accusations wrong ? That's not how things work) is one thing I have very little patience for. That's where the conversation ends.

Project 1999 Setup Guide
Old 10-07-2022, 11:43 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogean [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I have a lot of tolerance for the various things people have accused me of over the years, but straight up calling me a liar without proof (haha you actually asked me to prove your accusations wrong ? That's not how things work) is one thing I have very little patience for. That's where the conversation ends.
Where exactly did I call you a liar, Rogean. That's right, that did not happen. This is the exact sentence:
"Your "we are not collecting your processes/windows" is a statement that you can't possibly prove, so it doesn't really get us anywhere."

But yea, you clearly have very little "tolerance", and have to resort to censorship. I didn't think it would take you this long actually ;-)
Old 10-07-2022, 02:17 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Where exactly did I call you a liar, Rogean.
Quote:
"we are not collecting your processes/windows" is a statement that you can't possibly prove
Old 10-08-2022, 12:49 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Where exactly did I call you a liar, Rogean. That's right, that did not happen.
Here you go, pal

Quote:
So why not just start owing up to some of this by putting a huge sign alongside your "patch files" on your front page, stating that you're monitoring peoples windows in order to uphold your "rules". That would be the honest thing to do and at least a start, but you don't really have any intentions of actually informing 99.9 % of your players
Telling him to "own up" and "be honest" implies that you believe he is not being truthful, aka you're calling him a liar.

Probably stop now, before you get banned.