Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Old 09-05-2022, 09:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castle2.0 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Actually, you can, noob. You just have to start and end at the EXACT same location. Only us pros can do it. Also... bards.

Sometimes corners work. Run around casting port to avoid getting ganked by PKs, go back to same spot and poof.
I’ve noticed this as well

You can run your happy ass all over the zone, as long as you get back to the original point you started before the spell finishes it will not be interrupted

Maybe sometime I’ll see how much ground I can cover while casting arch shielding, that’s my longest cast time at lev 53. I bet I can get all the way down a hallway and back and still get the spell off

I hear everyone’s ping is pretty garbage on p99, so the server sometimes thinks you are still moving when you’re not. What I do is a small left or right turn (note: not a strafe), before starting my cast, that seems to help sometimes
Old 09-06-2022, 06:14 AM
Planar Protector

Charlie and Castle nailed it - the server thinks you're still moving because it has registered your /loc as having changed between the start and end of the spell. A good way to protect against this is to change your facing a little just before casting the spell.

Many casters like to jam themselves into a corner to make it easier to reset their position if they get bumped.

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 09-06-2022, 09:48 AM
Fire Giant

Turning definitely doesn't work, unless I'm just doing it too quickly, the only surefire way I avoid interrupts is to stop and wait like a half-second beat before casting.

Or unless for whatever reason it doesn't take mouse turning and you need to press an arrow key like a fuckin caveman.

Just spent like 18 hours quadding 40-51, channeled through almost all of them anyways but I was attempted to be interrupted after stopping dead and turning to look at the mobs and then casting constantly.
Old 09-06-2022, 09:53 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kich867 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Turning definitely doesn't work, unless I'm just doing it too quickly, the only surefire way I avoid interrupts is to stop and wait like a half-second beat before casting.

Or unless for whatever reason it doesn't take mouse turning and you need to press an arrow key like a fuckin caveman.

Just spent like 18 hours quadding 40-51, channeled through almost all of them anyways but I was attempted to be interrupted after stopping dead and turning to look at the mobs and then casting constantly.
It does depend on your latency. Everybody is going to have a slightly different time that works for them. You are probably turning too fast.

The turn itself is just something to help judge time and to reorient your camera. I do both any time I am running from a mob. Turning around and waiting a second or two works for me.
Old 09-06-2022, 10:01 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It does depend on your latency. Everybody is going to have a slightly different time that works for them. You are probably turning too fast.

The turn itself is just something to help judge time and to reorient your camera. I do both any time I am running from a mob. Turning around and waiting a second or two works for me.
Yeah, I typically wait probably under a second, I stop -> 180 turn -> cast -> turn -> continue. It doesn't matter a ton but I did always get the sense that the turning was more about doing something for the ~1 second you have to wait than updating or position or whatever.

Especially since your orientation and position are being sent at a regular interval to the server, it doesn't spam packets out when you're mouse looking or something. Yeah actually, I'm dumb, now that I think about it turning wouldn't do shit, the game doesn't send different packets for your rotation vs your position that's insane, rotation is part of the transform of an object within the game.
Last edited by Kich867; 09-06-2022 at 10:05 AM..
Old 09-06-2022, 10:54 AM
Planar Protector

Since you can mouse-turn while still pressing forward try going the caveman route and using the keyboard. Taking my finger off w and tapping a or d results in an uninterrupted cast 100%.

-Mcoy
Old 09-06-2022, 10:57 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcoy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Since you can mouse-turn while still pressing forward try going the caveman route and using the keyboard. Taking my finger off w and tapping a or d results in an uninterrupted cast 100%.

-Mcoy
That's what I do. The slower turn is more consistent for timing purposes, and releasing w before pressing a or d also builds a good muscle habit.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 09-06-2022 at 11:00 AM..
Old 09-06-2022, 11:15 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcoy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

-Mcoy
I'll test this later today, thanks, if I'm moving I'm basically permanently holding mouse-look down and a-d to strafe so I wouldn't naturally do this in my gameplay. I wonder if it doesn't update your rotation until you let go of mouse-look, which would probably explain why my rotations didn't do anything, as I steer almost the entire time while I'm moving.

Edit: on second thought yeah, I guess it isn't that crazy, if you aren't moving / turning there's no reason to be sending updates to the server about your position.
Last edited by Kich867; 09-06-2022 at 11:19 AM..
Old 09-06-2022, 03:31 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kich867 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yeah, I typically wait probably under a second, I stop -> 180 turn -> cast -> turn -> continue. It doesn't matter a ton but I did always get the sense that the turning was more about doing something for the ~1 second you have to wait than updating or position or whatever.

Especially since your orientation and position are being sent at a regular interval to the server, it doesn't spam packets out when you're mouse looking or something. Yeah actually, I'm dumb, now that I think about it turning wouldn't do shit, the game doesn't send different packets for your rotation vs your position that's insane, rotation is part of the transform of an object within the game.
Thought someone years ago posted showing that it actually causes the server to register that you’ve stopped moving
Old 09-09-2022, 09:24 AM
Orc

The turn is what i do. You could also root yourself first but that never seemed like a good idea to me. Putting your back or front to a wall helps too. I have a necro and a shaman so i feel your pain. Im the interrupt while standing still king