Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 11:17 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidelle [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Nothing wrong with knowing the facts about Ebola, in a thread about Ebola. Calm down. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm fine just strange that the media is making a big deal about something that really only effects a 3rd world country. Like AIDs isn't ever a big deal in the states any more but in a place with poor heath care like Africa it's still big as it was in the 80s. It's like the media thinks we live at the same standard as Africa and a R0 disease will effect us like it will over there.
Old 10-10-2014, 02:56 PM
Planar Protector

While I think the nature of Ebola as a disease makes people fear it more than they should, I think there's also a danger of writing off the risks assuming that the spread will be similar to the previous outbreaks. I mean it's already killed twice as many people as all the previous outbreaks combined.

When you have a disease that has a long incubation period it might not mean as much when people are not as mobile and don't have as much contact with different people. I can't imagine the average person in central / west Africa in the 70's or 80's traveled very far from their home, so the risk of spreading the disease outside the village was low, since there is a high probability of news of the outbreak spreading faster than the disease. If this disease gets into mainstream Europe/America, it could spread very quickly as the means of it spreading is much easier than something like aids, and there's a higher possibility of highly mobile people catching it who could spread it to other large groups of people.

I don't think it would be that easy to combat here in the states either. Don't most hospitals already operate at or close to full capacity?
Last edited by Lojik; 10-10-2014 at 03:40 PM..
Old 10-10-2014, 04:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lojik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Don't most hospitals already operate at or close to full capacity?
Plastic coffins, incinerators, and fema camps. Just wait till we have more then a critical mass of patients to infect a large populace. 2 or 3 doesn't count a few thousand they'lle still ignore, but when it hits a million. Bam Fire Giants coming down on those Nurga Goblins like there was never a high elf in the plane of hate.

In fact the people at the CDC and such being urged to be cautious about all this, they prob being pushed those orders whether they agree or not. Their being cautious about publicity and incidents, not about the disease btw.

Also clean water. And IV fluids is win win. All of which doesn't need a hospital to administer. Laying in your own vomit and diahrea around you're family tends to help spread the disease quicker.
Old 10-10-2014, 06:40 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by runlvlzero [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Plastic coffins, incinerators, and fema camps.
Lol.. Jesus, I don't even wanna think about all that.

Quote:
In fact the people at the CDC and such being urged to be cautious about all this, they prob being pushed those orders whether they agree or not. Their being cautious about publicity and incidents, not about the disease btw.
I agree. Which is pretty much why I made that big-ass Ebola facts post. Some people are already kinda freaking out. Heard a news report today that some guy on a plane sneezed and made a joke that "it's probably Ebola" even though he isn't sick at all, let alone with actual Ebola symptoms like fever, puking, diarrhea (sneezing isn't even a symptom). So of course there were delays while some people in hazmat suits came to investigate an Ebola joke... oops. The joke's on him. Lol.
Old 10-16-2014, 01:45 AM
Sarnak

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrjPZHK5U3g
Closed Thread