Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Old 01-25-2023, 03:40 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaggles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If anyone with an epic wants to see how far the epic pet can get a geonid down without assistance that would be interesting. I know the earth needs a lot of help but would be game to do some testing and report back with various pet strengths and npc health percentages. It would be fun to add EoT into the mix. Well, I think so, lol.
Epic can definitely handle regular Geo's, the shaman's are a lot tougher and require some nuking

[ Kurrat - Arch Mage ]
[ Kurrate - Crusader ]
<Legacy of Fire>

Old 01-25-2023, 03:51 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selene [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
thanks a ton for the advice everyone!

Why would a manna robe + Z heart matter so much for a mage? It's not like we are pumping out nukes...is it to cast a bunch of COTH's?

Do the pets actually do decent damage against a raid target? Seems like with Vindi it can be middling, which is nothing to sneeze at
Yeah it's for cothing mainly, but the extra mana is useful for making rods too! The other reason it's so good for cothing is that there is a 3 second recast timer on the spell after you use a clickie to refresh the spell gem. Manna robe is a 3 second cast so it's the perfect timer to refresh coth.

Target Cothee
Cast Coth
Click Robe, target next cothee during cast
Cast Coth

It's the most efficient way to coth quickly and anyone who has a robe setup has an advantage over those that don't. It isn't necessary by any means, you can time it with anything. The robe/heart/hp regen item combo also is the only way for a mage to get extra mana back without gear or spells, why wouldn't you want that?

As for pets, they do fine damage against raid targets, an epic pet will range from 35-50 dps depending on the mob while a max level focused water pet will range more like 40-55. They definitely aren't used all the time, and are underused in my opinion. Considering that the DPS is essentially adding in half or two thirds a melee in addition to the utility roles of cothing, dropping rods, and casting DS it's nothing to sneeze at.

Mages are useful and needed on raids beyond just being bots, but generally you only need 1-3 active mage players in most raids, anything beyond that and you'd be better served with more necro's or rogues or whatever else the raid might need.

[ Kurrat - Arch Mage ]
[ Kurrate - Crusader ]
<Legacy of Fire>

Old 01-25-2023, 04:03 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balimon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yeah it's for cothing mainly, but the extra mana is useful for making rods too! The other reason it's so good for cothing is that there is a 3 second recast timer on the spell after you use a clickie to refresh the spell gem. Manna robe is a 3 second cast so it's the perfect timer to refresh coth.

Target Cothee
Cast Coth
Click Robe, target next cothee during cast
Cast Coth

It's the most efficient way to coth quickly and anyone who has a robe setup has an advantage over those that don't. It isn't necessary by any means, you can time it with anything. The robe/heart/hp regen item combo also is the only way for a mage to get extra mana back without gear or spells, why wouldn't you want that?

As for pets, they do fine damage against raid targets, an epic pet will range from 35-50 dps depending on the mob while a max level focused water pet will range more like 40-55. They definitely aren't used all the time, and are underused in my opinion. Considering that the DPS is essentially adding in half or two thirds a melee in addition to the utility roles of cothing, dropping rods, and casting DS it's nothing to sneeze at.

Mages are useful and needed on raids beyond just being bots, but generally you only need 1-3 active mage players in most raids, anything beyond that and you'd be better served with more necro's or rogues or whatever else the raid might need.
bots can take care of most that, if the active mage isnt training trash with their DA's then they are wasting time, my shit tier 5th alt pally does more then mage pet, let alone any good dps. I love my mage, but i love actively being in pulls/Training things. Mages have great tools and work great for working inside a pull team where they should be. Training away trash, Tagging in hub, PR trains, Emergency trains, DA to start engages, goaltending. Rods arent even needed with most raid squads since they bring 4x the amount of people required.
Old 01-25-2023, 04:10 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripqozko [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
bots can take care of most that, if the active mage isnt training trash with their DA's then they are wasting time, my shit tier 5th alt pally does more then mage pet, let alone any good dps. I love my mage, but i love actively being in pulls/Training things. Mages have great tools and work great for working inside a pull team where they should be. Training away trash, Tagging in hub, PR trains, Emergency trains, DA to start engages, goaltending. Rods arent even needed with most raid squads since they bring 4x the amount of people required.
Any class can be botted...that being said, yes being involved in the pulls and trainouts in ToV is huge for mages. We still use rods on green, but I can see that as the top two guilds get zergier as time goes on where it would be more limited.

[ Kurrat - Arch Mage ]
[ Kurrate - Crusader ]
<Legacy of Fire>

Old 01-25-2023, 04:11 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripqozko [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
this.

unfortunately most actual mage players just warmbody
Old 01-25-2023, 06:09 PM
Banned

get good and get earth staff

profit
Old 01-26-2023, 08:18 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunabros [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
get good and get earth staff

profit
Join one of three guilds on Green.
Show up to raid, literally just show up. Repeat 100-400 times.
Once you have top DKP among mages track hate for better chance of drop.
Don’t get fucked over by the guild when it drops.
Old 01-26-2023, 04:07 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajbert [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 01-26-2023, 04:57 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajbert [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Essentially this, learning to track Hate and the PH's is the best way to get Magi kills, make sure you have the DKP when it finally does drop

[ Kurrat - Arch Mage ]
[ Kurrate - Crusader ]
<Legacy of Fire>

Old 04-25-2023, 12:59 PM
Sarnak

Well you need to camp in Hate to have a chance, people cheat it, server staff is aware, they remove threads. We caught the guy doing it multiple time in the act.