Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 01:24 PM
Fire Giant

Default Group exp split: Calculation

The wiki states that a group exp bonus is applied for each person added to a group; 2% bonus for 2 people, 6% bonus for 3 people, 10% bonus for 4 people, 14% bonus for 5 people, 20% bonus for 6 people.

With this in mind I often ask myself, "Is it worth it to add another member to my xp group?"

Sometimes the answer is a no brainer for example if you are in need of a tank, healer, CC, etc or if your group is spawn capped at its camp. The question becomes more difficult when you have 4 or 5 members and are considering adding a 5th or 6th.

Purely from an efficiency standpoint I tried to calculate how much more efficient a group would need to become when adding another member in order for rate of xp gain to stay the same or get better (assuming the new player is of equal level and experience total to all other members of the group).

Here is where I'd like someone to check the math.

Members. required % increase by adding another member
2 49.0
3 30.7
4 22.2
5 17.1
6 12.3

So a group of 5 would need to increase their efficiency by more than 12.3% by adding a 6th in order to increase their rate of xp gain. Similarly a group of 2 would need to increase their efficicency by more than 30.7% to increase their rate of xp gain. Keep in mind the earlier assumption about relative level and xp total for the new player. A high level ranger being added as a 6th player would require significantly higher increase in efficiency compared to adding an equal level halfling rogue.

Another interesting aside - if your group of 5 is spawn capped and considering adding a 6th (perhaps they are a guildy/friend, or perhaps your group is under the impression that there is this awesome group xp bonus that means you just get more xp for having more people in your group no matter what) then each members rate of xp gain will be reduced by 12.3% assuming equal level and xp total from the 6th member.

Final thoughts:

There is often safety in numbers and having that extra member around to help prevent a wipe when things get out of hand can greatly outweigh a loss in short term xp gain. However from a purely mathematical standpoint that 6th group member better be ready to pull their weight.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:30 PM
Kobold

Solid post, I always felt the same way whenever I'm in a group and people want a 6th member when we dont even really have extra spawns to kill such as when KC is heavily camped and all you're getting is LCY or something.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:05 PM
Fire Giant

Strictly from an anecdotal standpoint, I've always observed that four group members were the most efficient. I'm a bit on the fence with adding a fifth for CC/Utility/Clarity, but your mileage may vary.

Main Damage Mitigation (tank)
Main Healer (ideally Cleric)
Main DPS 1
Main DPS 2

The fifth being a floater slot for rotating people out of the group as real life demands or a secondary healer if your main healer is not a cleric.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milo Cooper, Senior Artist, SOE
Shut up and give me my ten bucks per month, little man. My Porsche needs some performance upgrades.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:08 PM
Planar Protector

It just all depends... it's all about what you are fighting. Do you need more safety or more dps. Assuming an ultra safe zone with plenty of mobs, adding an extra dps will almost always be beneficial for your experience bar moving faster.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:50 PM
Planar Protector

Assuming you are not spawn capped and have a capable puller, adding a 6th is almost always a good option.

First off, the healer isn't going to be doing much if any dps, the tank does minimal dps relative to dps classes.

So let's say a healer + tank does dps at a rate of 1.0. Giving a damage rate of .5 per person. If a dps does 2x the damage of a tank that goes up to 3.0 or 1.0 per person. A second dps brings that up to 5.0 or 1.25x a person.

Obviously, this is rudimentary guideline, a lot more factors must be considered. Which is why in practice 4-5 man groups are often more efficient than 6 man.

But I have to say, assuming things align, a ranger as your 6th slot is going to increase your xp gain, especially if your tank is a pally or a sk and you have someone spending most of their time pulling
Old 02-21-2012, 03:55 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grozmok [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Strictly from an anecdotal standpoint, I've always observed that four group members were the most efficient. I'm a bit on the fence with adding a fifth for CC/Utility/Clarity, but your mileage may vary.

Main Damage Mitigation (tank)
Main Healer (ideally Cleric)
Main DPS 1
Main DPS 2

The fifth being a floater slot for rotating people out of the group as real life demands or a secondary healer if your main healer is not a cleric.
At the very least adding a chanter instead of a second dps is going to maintain the xp rate, if not improve it. Haste on the melee alone + nukes will make up the difference. Not to mention clarity and oh shit control.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:11 PM
Fire Giant

I hear if you limit afk time to one minute per hour and pull through lunch break, group efficiency increases by 19.34%.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:27 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephirith [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I hear if you limit afk time to one minute per hour and pull through lunch break, group efficiency increases by 19.34%.
Haha, it's fun to talk about this stuff. I can tell you agree.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:30 PM
Planar Protector

It always seems to me that 6 person groups seem to have someone AFK all the time.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:57 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by webrunner5 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It always seems to me that 6 person groups seem to have someone AFK all the time.
Omg this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milo Cooper, Senior Artist, SOE
Shut up and give me my ten bucks per month, little man. My Porsche needs some performance upgrades.
Closed Thread