Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 12:10 PM
Fire Giant

Default wizards, nuking & aggro, raiding.

so ive played a monk/rogue 99% of my time on EQ, both on live and on various emu's. more so PVE on p99 then most where i dealt with evasion/aggro reduction mechanics then I ever recall on live. On my primal rogue, I can be #1 melee dps, and literally be the last of 40 or 80 people on the aggro list to be attacked by perma evading and lessening my threat. As a monk, well you can spam FD, or straight stay FD.

Wizards get this concussion spell, I have heard mixed rumors. That it gets resisted at all high end content, but also that despite a resist- it still works? how true is this? as I adjust to playing a wizard, I am still grappling with when to nuke, when did I overnuke too much nearly(when im dead its obvious) when to hold, etc etc. Example of a kunark fight, warrior blew 5 mallet charges on venril sathir, proc'd SoD once by 83%. I dropped 2 lure of flames, and he turned to me for a split second before warrior took aggro back, another wizard who happened to go with a 3rd lure got insta gibbed.

Now that I am 60 with lure of ice, ss, spear. I am curious how to deal with the aggro. In my old raiding guild on red the one that predated Apex(Empire) some wizards would simply burn dragon bane to OOM and then walk up to dragon and flux staff pull aggro or die to AoE's to save faction. Others would blow mana bar on nukes or dragon bane then camp out before it died(or zone in some situations). in tov its a bit easier more hp mobs to hold out and get solid aggro I guess though. Even in grouping though, when is the rightg time to drop a sunstrike on a trash npc? 60%? 50%? knowing itll do anywhere from 20-30%.

Also as far as efficiency goes, How often is lure of ice resisted in velious on bosses? do people still have to resort to flame on certain ice dragons if they don't have bane? or would sunstrikes/ice spears land on a tash/malosini/occlusion'd boss target? or is lure simply the -only- way to go other then a bane.

probably didn't ask all the right questions properly, just trying to figure out the class aggro management better. I don't want to be that wizard that always overnukes even after waiting double or triple the time what I would wait before engaging with my primal rogue.
Old 09-07-2016, 12:20 PM
Planar Protector

Concussion drops aggro on a resist.

All spells have a raw Hate Value associated with them. These values are front loaded (DoTs being exceptions). Meaning on the casting, that value is added to your hate total.

That warrior who burned mallets on VS, whom is magic immune, had 5/5 Resists and still gained aggro on them (though it is very likely he didn't use 5 or burned charges out of line of sight if 2 casts got you aggro). Point being resists on spells generate aggro too. The same amount as the spell landing does.

Same thing is applied to Concussion. Resists will still apply the negative hate value to your total dropping you.

This is classic code and still the way it works on live. The developers didn't fully understand this though, see Cinder Jolt. They felt it necessary to make a different resist jolt spell because they didn't understand their own aggro code.

The rest of your questions... Sunstrike trash at like 50%. Don't group on a wizard that sounds awful. If you can't Bane a mob and you can't Lure of Ice (ice dragons and eashen), you're better off just swapping to another character.
Old 09-07-2016, 12:29 PM
Fire Giant

cool, good to know on that front. guess i should quest it up just in case anyway. won't be doing any hardcore raiding with my wizard ever. but never know! and when i meant like dropping a sunstrike on stuff in a group, i meant it towards like clearing raid trash mobs etc.
Old 09-08-2016, 12:28 PM
Fire Giant

doing this quest, seems stupidly easy. human skeleton in KC was easy, train and charm turn in. TT non-kos easy access. Though for the CoM one I must say I have -never- seen this mob in the zone before. Apparently if you levitate up, and face the zoneline, hes on the LEFT if your looking at the zone, from that middle golem area. you open the door, and theres a mob static spawn with 2 pathers. Killed him 16 times since, no a human skeleton spawn. Every guide ive read basically says he should be here, most say hes already up. but on red, CoM is swarmed(even with the 25 limit still apparently...) so mobs are respawning constantly yet never once seen this.
Old 09-08-2016, 01:29 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by syztem [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
doing this quest, seems stupidly easy. human skeleton in KC was easy, train and charm turn in. TT non-kos easy access. Though for the CoM one I must say I have -never- seen this mob in the zone before. Apparently if you levitate up, and face the zoneline, hes on the LEFT if your looking at the zone, from that middle golem area. you open the door, and theres a mob static spawn with 2 pathers. Killed him 16 times since, no a human skeleton spawn. Every guide ive read basically says he should be here, most say hes already up. but on red, CoM is swarmed(even with the 25 limit still apparently...) so mobs are respawning constantly yet never once seen this.
Can't speak for red, but he's definitely there on blue. Sounds like you're describing the right spot, it's on the second level in the "tower" left of the zone in (if facing it). Static spawn standing on a little carpet up there. Usually see one every 6-10 cycles when duoing 2nd level with some one.
Maamdak Battlebeard - 48 Dwarf Rogue
Crunkasaurus Rex - 49 Ogre Shaman
Mendak - 51 Halfling Druid (Green)

<Paradox> RIP
Old 09-08-2016, 01:35 PM
Fire Giant

yeah so right spot, just bad luck spawning him. gave up for now, got 2/3 bottles ill keep the other one bagged for next time i get a charmer back that way.
Closed Thread