Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Important > News & Announcements > Polls

View Poll Results: Do you believe ooc and auction should be returned to zone-only?
YES! I want ooc/auction to be per zone only. 383 52.39%
NO! I want ooc/auction to remain global wide. 348 47.61%
Voters: 731. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 02:07 PM
Project Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by astarothel [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The /lfgs for tanks or clerics is much more sparse. Finding a replacement (especially when pretty much every levelling cleric except me is /anon or /role) isn't always so easy with a lower population.
Then its sparse anyways. ooc was never intended to be a source of finding groups, and never was, afaik.

Population has an affect on /lfg. ooc does not. If you want to /roleplay or /anon, that is your right.

It decreases your visibility, as intended.
Old 05-21-2010, 02:07 PM
Fire Giant

I've gotten 3 groups together in the past 24 hours by doing /who all LFG when people wouldn't respond in OOC.

Plenty of people already have OOC off, so that whole 'can't find a group' thing is complete and utter bull.

I still haven't seen any arguments that truly display a need or even a benefit to having global chat available.
Old 05-21-2010, 02:08 PM
Fire Giant

try /lfg 15 20 (or any similar range) instead [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 05-21-2010, 02:28 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I still haven't seen any arguments that truly display a need or even a benefit to having global chat available.
What about those poor lonely trolls who are so starved for attention that they will get depressed if they don't feel like everybody on the server is paying attention to whatever stupid shit they have to say?[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 05-21-2010, 02:43 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilbog [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Population has an affect on /lfg. ooc does not.
Yep, and it's a population issue which is why I voted to keep the global at this time. OOC currently helps grouping at a lower population because a person who is /anon, not currently tagged for /lfg, or is on an alt might consider joining.

I don't want global forever, I just don't think we have enough people active on the server at this time -- another 200 people constantly to our population and my position would change.
Old 05-21-2010, 03:01 PM
Kobold

So we want to keep it up just in case anonymous people without a LFG tag are in fact looking for group? It seems to me if they are anon and don't have LFG up, they probably aren't LFG.

The only people I can imagine who would stay anon while LFG are rezzers/porters. If I am searching for a rep and see an Anon on LFG I'll just shoot them a tell "Lvl/Class?"
Old 05-21-2010, 03:05 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0xx0r [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
even duel messages weren't global o.O
They were in Classic... they got taken out at some point when people started abusing it by creating character names w/social/political/server commentary.

"You know you done fucked up when Yendor gives you raid commentary." - Tiggles
Old 05-21-2010, 03:11 PM
Planar Protector

Just something to think about... if the removal of global /auc forces players to congregate in a single zone and sell/buy stuff vs. being able to make deals serverwide and arrange for a future transaction while continuing to play, is that going to significantly reduce the ability to find groups if a certain % of the server is locked into sitting in NFP or EC buying/selling? Just wondering what people's thoughts are on that. Could be a good thing... it might clear out Unrest/Guk/Oasis a little bit. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

"You know you done fucked up when Yendor gives you raid commentary." - Tiggles
Old 05-21-2010, 03:13 PM
Project Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by astarothel [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yep, and it's a population issue which is why I voted to keep the global at this time. OOC currently helps grouping at a lower population because a person who is /anon, not currently tagged for /lfg, or is on an alt might consider joining.
If someone chooses to be /anon or /roleplay has no relevance to this topic. You're trying to tell me that /anon is great for clerics or porters, except when they need a group. That's just the way the game works.

Quote:
So what argument is there left for global channels besides having an in game IRC Nilbog?
The only resonating validity I can see for global chats is the helping of new people. They probably got eq to work out of the box.. but might not be able to get eqemu working without assistance. That's the reason I gave a month ago, and has been barely touched on here.

Most of the arguments in favor of keeping them... seem to be unneeded luxuries, of I "want" this, because its "easier" for this.

Someone in this thread said training wheels. They need to be cut off.
Old 05-21-2010, 03:17 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I hope they don't remove it, though it seems inevitable at this point...

Everyone talks about this being a "Classic" server, which it obviously is, and Classic was the greatest time I ever had in a video game. But I also remember there being a much larger population that was able to support not only EC-only trading, but support the MANY zones that are going to be completely empty if we get rid of worldwide OOC. The world is going to seem very empty for most of us, UNLIKE in Classic where most zones had at least a few people to interact with.

Additionally, remember that this is NOT Classic. This is a world that is constantly in flux with things changing all the time, i.e. bard songs, items coming in and out, etc. Unless you remember to log on to the forums every time before you play, you will not have any way to be notified of changes to the game. Worldwide OOC serves this purpose.

It will also be much more difficult to put a group together, thus destroying the most fun aspect of the game. Like most of you, I have other obligations in life and cannot spend an hour sitting around waiting for a group to find me. Proactively making a group aware of your existence is a much better way to find a group than sitting in one zone with LFG on. Oftentimes a group won't even try to pick you up if you are a certain distance away.

I loved Classic as much as anyone, but P1999 and Classic are not analogous.

Thanks.
1. Paragraph 1. Why would zones be empty, because global channels are taken out? People who are playing know the game to an extent, empty zones are empty because they suck, like WK or kerra ridge.

2. Paragraph 2. This server, from what I understand, is trying to be as close to clasic as possible. And patches seem to be done almost every week, so once again the 1. reason I see for keeping global channles is that people are lazy, too lazy infact to look at a forum every 7 days.

3. Paragraph 3. The whole " it is difficult to form a group " has been repeatedly disproven, if you want to find a group, you will. I also think that you, personally, don't have the time to play, is also an invalid point, and I do not think that ther server should be compromised because of that. I mean the "classic" server shouldn't be chanegd just be cause your are casual or hardcore.

"Proactively making a group aware of your existence is a much better way to find a group than sitting in one zone with LFG on." First of all, that first option should not even be there. Secondly, Nilbog has stated several times, the function of ooc is not even to look for groups. If you are just sitting in some zone, with /lfg on, then you aren't trying very hard to find a group.
Closed Thread