Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 12:40 PM
Kobold

Default Mage focus items

There are all these quests for focus items but how much of a difference does it make? And what do they do exactly
Old 11-22-2014, 02:05 PM
Planar Protector

They are all useful, but leveling up you will use the fire pet most so at least get the Torch.

Basically, they raise the HP of your pet, so definitely a difference.

Blue
Tofusin - 60 Monk <BDA>
Shiroe - 60 Enchanter
Manowarr - 60 Druid
Old 11-22-2014, 02:54 PM
Fire Giant

They are basically the most important items a mage can have 1-50. Mage is only as good as their pet.
Old 11-23-2014, 03:36 PM
Fire Giant

They're extremely useful and a lot of details in what they do for your pet are on the P1999 wiki for mages and the pet guide.

My personal testing on the server was with the broom focus item on a level 4 air pet with the character level of 4, and the thing was working for me right then. The message "your broom glows" or some such was a part of summoning the pet. Anyway, it's a good increase in the pets health, physical size, and I seemed to have better luck getting a max level pet later on my mage's life when I had it in my hand with the summoning spell.

Of important note is that you can use the Reclaim Energy spell from the item from your inventory slot, which is kind of a big deal for killing things with chain pet casting.

The fire pet focus item is the most important, but people charge an arm or a leg for it. At character level 29 and under, you can easily get away with solo'ing with a Focused water or air pet so if you're strapped on cash, buy one of the drop items (broom or stein) for cheap when you see it offered and complete the quest for the finished item, and call it good. You can camp a torch yourself later in Najena or Cazic-Thule.
Old 11-26-2014, 05:44 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by NegaStoat [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
They're extremely useful and a lot of details in what they do for your pet are on the P1999 wiki for mages and the pet guide.

My personal testing on the server was with the broom focus item on a level 4 air pet with the character level of 4, and the thing was working for me right then. The message "your broom glows" or some such was a part of summoning the pet. Anyway, it's a good increase in the pets health, physical size, and I seemed to have better luck getting a max level pet later on my mage's life when I had it in my hand with the summoning spell.

Of important note is that you can use the Reclaim Energy spell from the item from your inventory slot, which is kind of a big deal for killing things with chain pet casting.

The fire pet focus item is the most important, but people charge an arm or a leg for it. At character level 29 and under, you can easily get away with solo'ing with a Focused water or air pet so if you're strapped on cash, buy one of the drop items (broom or stein) for cheap when you see it offered and complete the quest for the finished item, and call it good. You can camp a torch yourself later in Najena or Cazic-Thule.
All of this, what no one has brought up though is what is called Exp pet sacrifice

With your focus items, you can reclaim your pet and not let is steal your EXP, it can take a little bit of fine tuning, but can be beneficial because with your focus items you get back most of your mana when reclaim, so just before the mob dies or when it starts to run, reclaim your pet and burn that sucker to the ground!

The focus items REALLY make solo'ing quick and easy once you get the hang of it.

Also helps you get out of a tight spot of you took on a mob that can't kill, or if you get an add, have gate handy, reclaim pet (you will ALWAYS get back enough mana) and run away and hit gate [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

One last thing, the shovel and the broom are used in your epic so of you loot a spare shovel and broom hold.on to them for you ever want to do another turn Ian once you burn them for epic [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 11-26-2014, 12:24 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadlyfury [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
All of this, what no one has brought up though is what is called Exp pet sacrifice

With your focus items, you can reclaim your pet and not let is steal your EXP, it can take a little bit of fine tuning, but can be beneficial because with your focus items you get back most of your mana when reclaim, so just before the mob dies or when it starts to run, reclaim your pet and burn that sucker to the ground!

The focus items REALLY make solo'ing quick and easy once you get the hang of it.

Also helps you get out of a tight spot of you took on a mob that can't kill, or if you get an add, have gate handy, reclaim pet (you will ALWAYS get back enough mana) and run away and hit gate [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

One last thing, the shovel and the broom are used in your epic so of you loot a spare shovel and broom hold.on to them for you ever want to do another turn Ian once you burn them for epic [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is true, but just for the record even w/o the items you can also cast the reclaim energy spell.) though not insta cast.

I always find it funny high level mage twinks that haven't done the focus quests and don't think its important.

2 mages.

1. BCG, heiro cloak, GEBs, insignia protector, loam robe etc. etc. + no focus items

2. naked + focus items

Mage #2 is better 99% of the time (Mage #1 would win if doing AE groups I guess)
Old 11-26-2014, 01:13 PM
Planar Protector

If you need to acquire said focus items and are mid 30's, gator pit in CT!!! Myself and another player each got the whole set in a matter of hours + test of mastery or whatever pages drop off them too.
Old 11-26-2014, 01:20 PM
Sarnak

Basic focus items are great in the sense that they boost your pets' survivability making the earth pet a great tank and the fire pet much more usable in chain petting situation.
The advance versions are even better as they not only increase your pets HP but also increase their levels (at least that's what I have noted with the staff of fire elemental mastery and the level 49 pets).
http://25.media.tumblr.com/ab9521a00...4dqyo1_250.gif
Old 12-03-2014, 10:02 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadlyfury [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Reclaiming pet doesn't work anymore. The amount of mana you get back is proportional to how damaged your pet is. If your pet is miraculously at 100% after a fight, you will get 100% mana back, if it's at 50%, you get 50% back, etc. Not sure of exact numbers but as i recall last time i reclaimed it seemed very drastic.
Old 12-15-2014, 12:23 AM
Kobold

These quests are also a lot of fun!
Closed Thread