Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 06-20-2013, 09:14 AM
Sarnak

Default Need some help

While this is not a problem with the game I thought I would find some useful advice to this annoying problem. I play on a wired connection to my Netgear N300 router. My DSL is only 3 Meg, and i usually experience about 2.5 Down and 0.5 Up on average. I have 2 other computers that connect to router wirelessly. When I am using the wired computer to play games or surf. I have regular interruptions of connection ONLY when someone is using the wireless. But only in some situations. For example:

I am playing EQ (wired) while my daughter is watching Youtube (wireless) I get frequent (about every 45-60 sec) interruptions of connection. However if she is playing one of her games like Wizards 101 this loss of connection never happens.

If she or my wife use their Iphone to DL apps or watch youtube I get a loss of connection. I never get booted i just "lag out" for 7-10 seconds.

I have searched this on the net and found many other people having same issue. There are some folks saying that is is a Quality of Service(QoS) problem while others say that you cant do anything about it.

Is there anyway on the router to limit bandwidth going to the wireless part? I have taken a look at all the menus in the router setup but all that I learned in my CIsco classes long ago is mostly forgotten or not of use.

thanks in advance
Old 06-20-2013, 11:14 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

I've had this in the past or similar.

In my case i replaced the master telephone port of the house and filter. As it was so ancient the copper contacts had oxidised. Now that's unlikely to be your issue but just in case.

Throttling bandwidth would be the way but unfortunately that would require a routers with some slightly more hefty management controls.
This confirms the bad news: http://forums.finalgear.com/technolo...address-52603/

You need a router that allows it.
based on why u experience the lag I am almost certain it is your bandwidth being overloaded. My sneaky suggestion is to covertly stop them downloading apps. Jump on your router's firewall and block all outbound ports except 80/443 (so the web is still working) and block all other ports except the EQ ports. Allowing you to play without them stealing to much bandwidth.

As for their youtube habits... maybe get them to do more homework [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 06-20-2013, 11:46 AM
Sarnak

This would only be a bandwidth issue if your wireless devices are taking priority - which ideally it shouldn't.
QoS might be the issue, and you could look at adjusting it for each individual computer. As for controlling bandwidth on a mobile device - http://www.antamedia.com/bandwidth-manager/

There may be better ones however this was just a random example.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:05 PM
Planar Protector

honestly i'd just go to your nearest staples/best buy and buy a new router. if it doesn't solve your problem you can return it with no hassle.

http://www.project1999.org/forums/sh...ad.php?t=94928

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhambuk View Post
gotrocks community savior
Old 06-20-2013, 01:37 PM
Sarnak

You could force the wireless network down to 802.11b instead of the g or n it probably is. That would limit the wireless bandwidth to 11Mb/s instead of the 54Mb/s it probably is. If the router allows you to change it that is. Otherwise, I would go with gotrocks suggestion.