Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 03:33 AM
Planar Protector

Exclamation Does anyone make their own soap?

I've discovered that I still need to use soap in order to clean my dirty elf feet and other areas, and the cheap soaps that don't dry out my skin really badly seem to disappear soon after unwrapping. So now I have a half-baked plan to save some money, and bought a 1 lb block of "hemp oil soap base" (which is mostly olive oil) for $5. Just ordered a cheap soap mold online so it will be a few days before I can play around with it.

Really should have thought this through a little more before buying anything, but if I screw it up it should be a pretty simple matter to salvage the stuff. My plan was to melt the base down and add coconut oil (which is a squishy and melty solid at room temp) to dilute it because it's amazing for skin and is really cheap when buying in bulk. Also some essential oils, which will be the really fun part. Maybe some coarse salt too but that can wait for next time.

But now I'm worried that it won't work as well as I had hoped because getting all these oils to stay together as a solid probably takes a certain ratio of oils to something (emulsifier? saponifying agent?) and the added oil will mess that up.

Right? Idk. Have you done this? Might google around a bit too but it never hurts to ask. If the mold gets here soon I'll probably just go at it, starting with smallish chunks of soap base and much smaller amounts of coconut oil, working up the ratio slowly. It's gonna be funny if my soap melts in the shower lol.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:49 AM
Kobold

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 05-01-2014, 11:15 AM
Fire Giant

My girlfriend makes some soap occasionally, I will ask her about it and try and get ya some info sometime today

BLUE
46 Warrior - Elkantor, 35 Shadowknight - Geldriia, 46 Enchanter - Shebreeze
Old 05-01-2014, 02:34 PM
Planar Protector

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittlez [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
My girlfriend makes some soap occasionally, I will ask her about it and try and get ya some info sometime today
Thank you!
Old 05-01-2014, 03:06 PM
Sarnak

Mechlingburger does. I think he sells it on the Internet too. If I see him around I'll let him know this thread exists.
Old 05-01-2014, 03:08 PM
Banned

Old 05-01-2014, 03:16 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by LulzSect [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What soap do you use, Kimm? I have eczema so I have to be really careful in order to keep my skin soft and creamy. Bet you're drying yours out hardcore with blah quality expensive soap [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 05-01-2014, 03:38 PM
Fire Giant

I make my own soap. To make soap, I first render fat. The salt balance has to be just right, so the best fat for making soap comes from humans. Now, ancient people found their clothes got cleaner if they washed them at a certain spot in the river. You know why? Human sacrifices were once made on the hills above this river. Bodies burnt, water speeded through the wood ashes to create lye. The lye combined with the melted fat of the bodies, till a thick white soapy discharge crept into the river.
Old 05-01-2014, 04:13 PM
Banned

Old 05-01-2014, 04:21 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by LulzSect [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Pretty good for a bad soap. SLS dries you out as the moisturizer works to reduce that heh. Soap in conflict :O