Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 01:00 PM
Fire Giant

i want guild halls and then have the bossmobs choose a guild-target and raid their guild hall <3

[50 Warrior] Rumzuck Umbatsch (Ogre) <Remedy>
[34 Druid] Vito Corleone (Wood Elf) <Europa>
[35 Necromancer] Torak (Dark Elf) <Europa>
[13 Shadow Knight] Rumzerg (Dark Elf) <Europa>

EQEmuLauncher
Have your files up to date, switch between servers nice and easy, and more!
http://moestaverne.com/

Old 06-17-2010, 01:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by xorbier [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
QQ.
I hate to break it to you but the people who put in more effort get more stuff. This is 100% as it was in live. The good news for you is that once Kunark is released the classic content will open up more than it is today and there will be much more new stuff to camp.
So in live you had GMs regulating who had a rightful claim to a camp and who didnt? It was so not like that on Rallos Zek and im highly doubtful that GMs had such a heavy-handed approach to camps back on live blue servers.

Can anyone confirm this?
Old 06-17-2010, 01:12 PM
Banned

Again, this is not a bitch on devs here when i say heavy-handed approach. I understand the dynamic here is different than on live and solutions are WIP.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:16 PM
Project Manager

Quote:
So in live you had GMs regulating who had a rightful claim to a camp and who didnt? It was so not like that on Rallos Zek and im highly doubtful that GMs had such a heavy-handed approach to camps back on live blue servers.
I have personally had camps "resolved" by guides/GMs on Erollisi Marr circa 1999-2004ish.

I have :

a: been told to leave, as it was someone else's.

b: gotten a camp, as it was fully popped and someone came back petitioning i stole it

c: been told that they would not assist in a camp dispute

d: had an fbss taken from another player and given to a group member of mine, as our "camp" was KSed

So yeah, I'd say there were various rules used all over the place.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:26 PM
Banned

To restate how much i appreciate you guys work, i think the MMO emu scene is where the gaming mod scene was 10 years ago. When map making was busting out on unreal T, Quake mods, natural selection for half-life etc...

The MMO games are getting run into the ground by greedy game companies who are gonna nickle and dime people for xp potions and shit like that. You guys are where its at right now.

Thats why it pains me to see all the bullshit here, people are like ITEMS!! I WANT!! I WANT!! and dont take a breather to try to see long term whats good for the server in general.

<3
Old 06-17-2010, 01:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
To restate how much i appreciate you guys work, i think the MMO emu scene is where the gaming mod scene was 10 years ago.
Fairly true. DAOC and EQ emu are hitting 800+ populations which is unheard of for emus. There's even an Aion emu out already.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:40 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogean [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
FFA Would mean 2-3 guilds literally sitting on the spawn of a mob.

Then what? The mob spawns, probably aggroes someone automatically right away, and then all 3 guilds go into a kill steal fest for the win? And if/when we do get logs of who actually was on aggro first, we take away the loot, suspend the kill stealing guild, and give it to the guild that was lucky to get first aggro?

How does that make any sense.
I think you are discounting the fact that even groups of people that dislike each other are able to function in some sort of 'free' system when facing the right set of incentives and disincentives. I've already observed small amounts of reciprocity under the current regime of rules. For example, I've witnessed both DA and IB zoning out for one another during Vox engagements to try and reduce zone lag for the opposing raid. While your perception of how much people dislike each other around here is probably true, I don't feel like it is the likely case that an FFA system necessarily leads to the anarchy or set of problems you suggest. Even enemies will try to agree to or respect some minimum standard of conduct if nothing more than to maximize their own utilities. You see examples of this out in the world all the time.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starklen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
While your perception of how much people dislike each other around here is probably true, I don't feel like it is the likely case that an FFA system necessarily leads to the anarchy or set of problems you suggest. Even enemies will try to agree to or respect some minimum standard of conduct if nothing more than to maximize their own utilities. You see examples of this out in the world all the time.
Thats a good point, you still get a reputation with a FFA system. If some people are known to KS all the time etc... say some guild starts out and names itself <WeKSuLOL>. Well that guild would probably need to be stricly self-reliant because they wouldnt get buffed in EC, wouldnt get ports, unless they stay anonymous. If its anything like on live, people have a little shitlist they keep close to themselves when they are playing. FFA would be self-regulating in that way.
Old 06-17-2010, 02:18 PM
Large Rat

I used to play on the now-extinct Zebuxoruk server, until around the end of 2004 I think, when I quit (shortly after Gates of Discord came out).

It seems that on different servers, there were different "rules" as for camping and raiding... as far as I can remember, there was no calendar nor anything of the sort on Zeb. And the only true-FFA mob that I knew of was the (in)famous Lodizal. The rest usually were respected by camping rules - whoever was at the spot killing stuff had the rights to the named, which in theory is similar to what we have here right now.

On raid targets though, things were very different than what P99 seems to have. The contested raid mobs were not FFA, but there were "races" between guilds to see who could mobilize faster, buff up and engage. This was true to most of the open-area mobs, like the Kunark dragons, and some "dungeon/city" areas, like Vindi/Statue in Kael, and KT. The first guild to engage the mob had the claim, and should they fail, the other guild standing around had a shot. It was quite amusing to beat your "arch-nemesis" guild on certain things, like Doomshade and Rumblecrush in Luclin. I had some fun back in those days.

Some other mobs were a bit more complicated. For example, Chardok Royals and the Coldain King. The guild that started clearing the way to the nameds had the initial claim. Another guild could follow behind, without interfering on anything, in case the initial guild wiped, but that usually was not the case. If someone was clearing down to Royals, other folks usually let them be and moved on.

And in the case of the then-available planes, if there was a weaker guild farming trash in Hate, or Growth, for armor drops, and suddenly Inno/Tunare popped, it was frequent that stronger guilds would show up to attempt the named, but they'd leave the small guys alone and either assist them with clearing (if necessary) and handing over loot, but only after talking to that guild's leadership, and not leapfrogging/training the shiznit out of them.

It wasn't perfect back then, but it seemed to work... obviously, there was "cockblocking" of higher end mobs, with the top guild on the server having certain targets locked down (Emperor Ssra, for instance, was only killed by a second guild after Planes of Power came out), but the whole cockblocking/drama seems to be part of the EverQuest experience. Heh.
Old 06-17-2010, 02:20 PM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You guys can't compare rallos zek to this server, because simply there was no play nice policy on rallos zek. It was quite simple, resolve your disputes via PVP. That is not an option here (and no, it never will be).

Project 1999 Setup Guide
Closed Thread