Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 07:00 AM
Decaying Skeleton

Question New player here, need advice.

I don't know if I'll be met with hostility or if the community likes new EverQuest players but I just started here and I really wanted to get into EverQuest. I just cannot figure anything out. I made my character and I picked FreePort and it just kinda drops me off and I have no idea what to do. Quests? Kill mobs? What? I'm defiantly not stupid but if you guys tell me what to do I'll learn very quickly. I tried to find quests because that's the first thing that comes to mind but I can't find any. Any advice or help would be fantastic. Thanks in advance [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 07-22-2010, 07:05 AM
Sarnak

kill stuff, loot stuff, sell stuff, rinse, repeat
Methlab - 50 Troll Shadow Knight
Kemba - 19 Monk
Old 07-22-2010, 07:16 AM
Planar Protector

@ the OP:

Honestly that above comment is exactly what you should be doing. If there's one "mistake" EQ newer players make it's aimless wandering/exploring. If you want to get lost in the lore, by all means. However, if you're a gamer and you just wanna play and compete in EQ do not stop killing things. Everything you do should revolve around getting exp, getting into groups, setting groups up, and did i mention exp?

Hit 50, then get your gear. In the meantime you'll accumulate some plat and just browse the EC market for some upgrades.

Did i mention don't stop exping?
Old 07-22-2010, 07:21 AM
Decaying Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by azeth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
@ the OP:

Honestly that above comment is exactly what you should be doing. If there's one "mistake" EQ newer players make it's aimless wandering/exploring. If you want to get lost in the lore, by all means. However, if you're a gamer and you just wanna play and compete in EQ do not stop killing things. Everything you do should revolve around getting exp, getting into groups, setting groups up, and did i mention exp?

Hit 50, then get your gear. In the meantime you'll accumulate some plat and just browse the EC market for some upgrades.

Did i mention don't stop exping?
So I should just grind mobs? No quests?
Old 07-22-2010, 07:24 AM
Orc

Pretty much what Tseng said. Be sure to go around and, "Hail," any NPCs you see, to possibly be offered quests. You didn't mention what class you chose. There are some good low level quests , from what I recall, in Freeport for melee types such as Orc Banded Vest or Militia Tunic.
Unlike later MMOs, classic Everquest doesn't hold your hand and show you the way to go. You really have to be proactive if you want to find quests and get anywhere. That being said, there are some great resources linked in the Library section of the forums, that you may want to check out.
BTW, Welcome to Everquest and P99 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 07-22-2010, 07:27 AM
Planar Protector

Depending on where you fight you'll inevitably run into quests. Fighting in Crushbone (lvls 9ish-16/17) for example will net you Crushbone Belts which can be turned into to a gentleman in Kaladim for exp. Things like that are really the only quests worth doing, where the mobs you're grinding provide you with the means to do the quest and then you just turn in when your done for the night or bags are full whatever.
Last edited by azeth; 07-22-2010 at 07:39 AM..
Old 07-22-2010, 07:27 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzzly [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So I should just grind mobs? No quests?
I'm guessing that you may have played WoW, which has a far more developed quest for exp system. EQ wasn't as polished in this respect because it set the initial standard for the genre (coming out in 1999 and all).

A vast majority of your exp throughout the course of your play time will be through killing stuff. There are some cash-crop exp quests, such as Crushbone Belts, Crushbone pads, Gnoll Teeth from BlackBurrow, Bone Chips turned in at the Kaladim Paladin (say that three times fast) guild...but even those quests have soft-caps once you pass a certain level.

Most people around here are pretty nice, although I was told to shutup last night because I was quoting monty python: the holy grail in Gfay /ooc chat [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 07-22-2010, 08:21 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messianic [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Most people around here are pretty nice, although I was told to shutup last night because I was quoting monty python: the holy grail in Gfay /ooc chat [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
SHAMEFUL!! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Aarone - Paladin o' Brell

"Tempus Fugit. Memento Mori."
Old 07-22-2010, 08:35 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarone [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
SHAMEFUL!! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Srsly
Old 07-22-2010, 08:54 AM
Orc

So, whats the End-Game ?
Closed Thread