Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > Resolved Issues

Closed Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 01:04 PM
Planar Protector

Default FD for Monks

http://www.monkly-business.net/forum...24&postcount=1

Very first post indicates the mechanic as it should be: I will gladly sift through more posts to make monk's lives miserable (sorry guys, just trying to get it to classic).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieri
Clearing Aggro:

This is one I am asking for YOUR input on: The way that works best for me is to stand up / fd almost simultaniously (faster than a critter could pass aggro to friends) until the mob forgets.. have had no luck with simply lying still and re-pressing the FD button, please let me know if you have a good method for this.
The fact that you can wipe all agro in one go, no matter what, unless a spell lands on you or you fail, is far off. It should have a success rate to actually make a mob believe that you are dead, not instantly mem wipe the mob.
Old 10-30-2010, 01:29 PM
Sarnak

doesn't instantly memwipe if there's a lingering spell on them, say snare, atm. besides, they reset well before they forget about you.

also, that guy is spouting out opinions on how to use FD, not facts on mechanics.
Old 10-30-2010, 01:33 PM
Planar Protector

Snare pulling was always a proper tactic as it affected the mobs "busy" pattern, so to speak. It wasn't at it's spawn so it was considered "agrod" even though it had nothing to attack.

The point of that post was to at least make note of the fact that FD shouldn't be a single FD and you're home free from anything and everything. Will add more later when I find it.
Old 10-30-2010, 01:37 PM
Planar Protector

To go along with what you're saying, yes: http://www.eqmacwiki.com/w/Snare_and_Pet_pulling_(Guide)

I recognize this is from the Mac version of EQ but snare pulling works the exact same way.
Old 10-30-2010, 01:39 PM
Planar Protector

As far as the mechanic of FD itself: perhaps in classic it followed a simple rule, but by Kunark it should follow something similar to what is seen in this post:

http://www.eqmacwiki.com/w/Guide_to_Feign_Death

Standing Up

When you stand up after a feign death, if the previously aggro'd mobs were below Level 35 there will be no repercussions as the mob will have no recollection of you and carry on as normal. Mobs above Level 35 however have a chance to re agro on you. If they do, they will go directly to you as if you were still an enemy. If you have stayed down long enough for the mob to return to its spawn point, then there is a 90% chance it wont agro on you again. However, if it is still roaming there is an 80% chance that it will agro on you again. Don't be too worried though, you do have the chance to re-feign and each subsequent feign reduces the chances of re-agro by roughly 20%.
This rule is not universal however. Certain factors can influence it and different mobs will react in different ways. Distances from the mob when you stand up can affect its chance of re-aggroing, and some mobs will forget every time but will remember if you get close in the future. A way around this is to /quit while feigning death. This causes you to go link dead, but keeps you feigned, and so after three minutes you will time out as if you had camped and will lose all mob agro. However, before you do this you should make sure you are in an area with no mobs around, this will stop others from aggroing on you as you will log back in standing.
Old 10-30-2010, 04:31 PM
Aviak

I was just commenting on the behavior of FD with the guild.

I want to say that it seems like I'm failing consecutively and more frequently than I recall (having played a monk both on Live and on Combine). I don't recall failing this often post 100 skill. I can't provide much evidence other than my gut feeling.

The other thing though, is definitely something you can accurately test. Monks should not be able to FD through spell resists. Pre-Stonewall AA, if a Monk were to FD at ANYTIME AFTER an NPC began casting a spell, their FD is guaranteed to fail. Under no circumstances could a Monk ever successfully remain Feigned if they FD after an NPC begins to cast their spell.

The Stonewall AA specifically says - "Each rank in this ability gives monk an increasing chance for their feigned deaths to not be revealed by spells cast upon them. At higher ranks, monks become immune to feign breaking on a resisted spell and have a good chance of feigning through a spell that successfully hits them."

The difference is fucking me up, because I'm waiting for the NPC to finish his spell casts before I FD, and I'm standing up from FD when a spell hits me and I resist it. I didn't notice it until today that when I FD'd and had 2 melee and 1 caster on me, I resisted the spell and the 2 melee stopped beating on me. This would never happen Pre-Stonewall.

And I'm noticing some strange behavior when I fail to FD. Mobs in my immediate aggro radius will still attack me (this is normal), but mobs that are outside aggro radius will go home.

About the original topic

Mobs completely forgetting about me on 1 FD is messing up my splits. Normally there's a chance that they'll still be aggro'd on you and this can assist in splitting, because you let 1-2 path back to their spawn and when the last one starts to run back, you stand up and he chases you. This never happens unless I'm in their aggro radius. FD dancing to split packs is a normal technique, even without the use of snare or clicky items.
Last edited by Zarcath; 10-30-2010 at 04:35 PM..
Old 10-30-2010, 05:14 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Feign Death is not bugged. The problem is the mob AI and the way they instantly reset their aggro list.
On p99, anyone can press a key then wait a few and stand up once out of aggro range to pull the last mob.

On live it required a little more "skillz" as mobs could keep you in aggro list for some time (or not). Thats why you often hear people talking about % of success, its just that it mostly depended on who was pulling.
Random monk tells the guild, "damn bugged FD, sorry for the train"
Friendly guildie tells the guild, "Yeah I've read somewhere it's 90%"

Somehow FD always kept a part of mystery.

Actually, FD was never meant to be a pulling skill but it was more a super-shaolin-monk way to escape death, in a roleplaying point of view, like a rogue hides and backstabs.
When FD unexpected capabilities (incl. pulling) were discovered by players, Verant thought it was a good addition, it would fit to their "vision" of the monk class. With natural good ac and high avoidance skills it made sense.
So they never changed it.

Anyway, the problem here is the mob AI and the 3d engine settings but not the monk class.

But I do agree it needs to be fixed.
Old 10-30-2010, 05:34 PM
Developer

FD is fine. It is not P1999's AI.

Originally FD cleared all aggro. That is the current implementation. FD behavior will change during the life of the project. I do not know the exact time that those changes will go in.

Working as intended.

Haynar
Old 10-30-2010, 05:46 PM
Planar Protector

Yeah that was the main issue I had, as to whether it was classic or not, since I did not participate in the original release. It's good to know that it changes, though.

Thanks for clarifying [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 10-30-2010, 06:00 PM
Fire Giant

Yeah FD was initially an instant, permanent wipe. Also not sure when they changed it.

Mugatoo <Center For Ants>
45 Iksar Monk

"You can all go to hell, I'm going to Texas."
Closed Thread