Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 02:02 PM
Sarnak

I used to use a rooted G1. Aside from the dull look of early Android phones it was a good phone. It's Sidekick roots were obvious, too (key layout and the way alt worked, etc). I approved. I beta'd Palringo on it for awhile, but what frustrated me the most about Android (and devs) was how screen orientation essentially makes them close and reopen the friggin' app, and the whole "6 open apps only" and how the phone would often close my damned IM app or what not as it wanted to. I'm glad there are more apps on the Android Market, and the Market is superior to iTunes in a LOT of ways. Specifically the My Apps sections and the 24-HOUR REFUND. Being able to set up individual text alerts for people via various sms apps was nice, plus I love multicolor LEDs. Next iPhone needs this. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I hope the multitasking has been fixed at some point, but I like my (jailbroken) iPhone 3G S more in almost every possible way. Auteureist, Bleep!box, BeeJive, MyWi, and Blue FiRe get tons of use from me. Not to mention most apps from Amidio and the other music apps I use. Android is pretty dry on creative writing and music apps, sadly. There are some promising ones, and I'm sure it will catch up.
Last edited by km2783; 05-04-2010 at 02:09 PM..
Old 05-04-2010, 03:27 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crone [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The problem I had with iphone typing is that it didn't auto correct. President. You probably hate typing on it because of the errors. First of all you will get used to typing on a screen, and secondly, the Droid has auto-correct which is amazing.

But, all is moot when you get Swype.. the best keyboard mod out there! You just drag your finger to make words, rather than actual typing. It's awesome. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
My iphone does auto correct.. sometimes it works well.. sometimes its an annoyance.. Ive been typing on the screen for 9 months now, I can type fast on it aside from the lag and the occasional fat finger, but never will I be anywhere near what I could do on a full keyboard blackberry..

I complained about this to someone who used iphone from day 1, and he goes "I can type really fast without looking at my phone so dunno what your complaining about.." So I said ok look me in the eye and type out a long sentence without looking at it... Yea - it came out - OK - but nothing like a full keyboard.

My favorite thing to do on my blackberry would be walking around, stores, work, whatever, looking forward and talking to people while typing on my blackberry.. always freaked people out...
Old 05-04-2010, 03:30 PM
Planar Protector

My sidekick is a POS but you will never text easier on a device [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 05-04-2010, 04:29 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannacore [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
My sidekick is a POS but you will never text easier on a device [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Most full keyboard devices are going to be extremely easy to text on, but I think the one that was far and away the easiest for me was the Blackberry that had the navigation wheel on the sides.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

The wheel had two directional movement and it could also be pushed in for opening menu, then selecting option. This might sound restricting, but it was much, much faster than the current scroll balls that can go 4 directions. The reason being, is you could "feel" every click or push. The UI was very intuitive and helpful.

For instance:

Unlocking the phone: push wheel once, down to clicks, push wheel again.
Sending Text: Unlock, 5 wheels down to get to contacts, push down once to select contacts, put in first couple letters of person, push down once, menu came up that auto selected call, second option send text, so one wheel down to text, push wheel down once, type out text, push wheel down once to bring up menu, menu auto selected on send text, push wheel down once again.

It sounds like a lot, but you got so used to it, that you could send texts/emails/call/etc. and never look at your screen and do it without messing up since you had a full keyboard.

Anyway, I'm not sure I described that very well, but I was much faster with the side scroll wheel in using the phone then I have ever been with a phone since. And never had to look at the screen...
Old 05-04-2010, 04:49 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowWulf [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
OK Shadow... i've rooted my Droid and am now running Bugless Beast V1. Tell me where to get those sweet apps you have on your desktop [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] I'm looking for that CPU monitoring one, and the nice quick buttons for everything (turn on/off wifi stuff like that). I kept the "standard" theme instead of going to the Smoked Glass one.

Any other sweet apps you could recommend?
Old 05-04-2010, 05:08 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatMagic [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
OK so thanks to Shadow I rooted my Droid... very cool. I'm going to load Bugless Beast next cause it looks like an awesome ROM. I am using Titanium Backup first to back all my stuff up though.

Question - when I switch to BB V1, will I need to reload all my apps & settings? Or can Titanium Reload them?
Depends, titanian can do full restores if you want it to, but SOME apps have issues being suddenly restored to a different rom than they were originally under, and it can cause bizzare issues. For the most part though you should be good to go. Should...heh.

I take this opportunity to manually reinstall everything, it lets me really know if im using an app or not. If icant remember it, then I probably didn't need it. I suppose its my way of forced system cleaning on a regular basis.

EDITL The clock and toggle widets are the same app, called perdictably Weather And Toggle Widgets on the market.
SetCPU is how you'll overclock. It includes the optional temp/clock monitor widget. The music player name is there on it, MizZing..i use MortPlayer audiobook version for my audiobooks when i drive though. Some other fun apps besides just games would be a Police Scanner...I own real scanners also and the portable nature of the droid and the streaming scanners are a lot of fun.
If anybody wants to tip my poor lv 6 ranger I would be adverse to it =P
Last edited by ShadowWulf; 05-04-2010 at 07:59 PM..
Closed Thread